Rear view mirrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
Anybody have them on your boat? For us ICW cruisers I think it might be a good idea.

Not here.* To look behind, I use the rear pilothouse windows or look out the pilothouse doors.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 12th of March 2012 07:46:38 PM

Attachments

• listing to starbd.jpg
    listing to starbd.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 99
  • napa - diablo.jpg
    napa - diablo.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 114
No,
but I've seriously thought about it. I have bad rearward vis from the bridge, and NO rearward vis from the salon helm. I usually run my radar to see what's coming up behind me. I also just got a Standard Horizon CP1000c, and plan to mount a rearward facing video camera on the stern, and view it through the CP1000C.

Here's a pic of some at one of the Trawlerfests.

Attachments

• dcp_1334.jpg
    dcp_1334.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 134
I just purchased at Costco a Lorex System.

I plan on mounting a reverse image camera looking at the rear, one mounted down in the engine room, one mounted on the port side and one on the starboard side and one from the flybridge looking forward.*

Not sure how this will function but that is the plan.

Elwin*

I have one, mirror,*on my flying bridge from where I drive 95% of the time.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Monday 12th of March 2012 09:15:57 PM

On our Tollycraft fly bridge, where I pilot 99% of the time...

Affixed at center line of boat, I have an 18 inch wide x 4 inch tall (at mirror center and gently tapering to its ends)*slightly convex ski mirror with*both ends having 3.5 inch wide by 3.5 inch tall independently swivel adjustable mirrors that can be synced as added seamless width to the 11 inch wide center mirrors view or turned slightly out for further side views.* I pretty much keep them synced as the overall slightly convex mirror gives plenty of width view.* Great for maneuverings inside marina confines, crowded channels, or populated bays.

Happy Boating! **

I have one at the main helm, which is where I drive from most of the time.* I just bought one of those add-on mirrors one can buy at any car parts shop for towing that attaches on over the existing wing mirror.* I just used that same fitting to fix it to the upper steering chain pole that passes down past the lower helm.* I'll see if it shows in my helm pic, as it was very easy to do and works well.* Of course only useful in a sedan style boat like mine as it allows me to see out throught the window and door in the saloon aft wall.* It would be no good in an aft cabin or sundecker.* You would need to get tricky with cameras as one or two already mentioned for those boats I think.* I like the way it allows me to keep an eye on not only what is coming up behind, but the dink, and what folks are up to out in the cockpit.

Attachments

• image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 103
No 1 eyeball used with 360 deg vision best you can get.
Not going that fast that I need a rear view mirror.

If Pee Wee Herman had a boat, it would have rear view mirrors.

No rear view mirror on my boat. It never occured to me that I might need one.

I can easily turn my head to see what's behind me.

I have never seen a RVM on a boat where I go. I have seen one (73ft boat) with cameras, but only for docking. In order to "keep a proper lookout" a RVM is inadequate. You need to actually look around.

Yeah, sure do. *Down here in Miami/Biscayne Bay and the ICW, there could be a half dozen impatient speed demons coming at you from every angle, no exaggeration. *When in a channel, crossing wakes to prevent beam hits is often impossible, because you've got two more coming from the other side. Although I spend a lot of time spinning around on my helm seat to check my blind spots, this helm design and mirror position affords a pretty good view behind, even with the dinghy on the boat deck or the davits. *As mentioned, it's also a good way to keep and eye on dinghy movement while underway. *On holidays around here, it's more like figure 8 racing. *Every little bit helps. *I'm in the midst of redoing my pilothouse now, so this helm shot is a "before". *I may increase the size of the mirror, but I doubt I'd ever get rid of it.

Attachments

• helm full width.jpg
    helm full width.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 118
In the close confines of the ICW and depending on the configuration of the helm a mirror should be quite handy. My sun deck blocks a direct view of the water behind us for about 50 yards.
I try to stick to the Kiss principal, so I'll forgo the cameras.

I have a camera on the Garmin.

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 14th of March 2012 09:22:02 AM

Attachments

• rear view camera.jpg
    rear view camera.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 109
  • img_0020.jpg
    img_0020.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 107
I made one using a auto parts rear view mirror that had a single stud & nut in the center. I put the stud through the hole in a big plastic spring loaded clamp and then clamped the entire unit to a grab rail on the forward side of the pilot house door.

Art wrote:

Affixed at center line of boat, I have an 18 inch wide x 4 inch tall (at mirror center and gently tapering to its ends)*slightly convex ski mirror with*both ends having 3.5 inch wide by 3.5 inch tall independently swivel adjustable mirrors that can be synced as added seamless width to the 11 inch wide center mirrors view or turned slightly out for further side views.*
*Art, got any pics of your mirrors?* Sounds like a great setup.

I have a sign on the back of the boat...it says, "I'm retired. Go around me." 'Got one on my car too. And it's rare that I have the VHF on...I had it on the other day and it didn't fit, so I left it off. You can wave or give me the finger when you pass, it's all the same to me.

FlyWright wrote:Art wrote:

Affixed at center line of boat, I have an 18 inch wide x 4 inch tall (at mirror center and gently tapering to its ends)*slightly convex ski mirror with*both ends having 3.5 inch wide by 3.5 inch tall independently swivel adjustable mirrors that can be synced as added seamless width to the 11 inch wide center mirrors view or turned slightly out for further side views.*
*Art, got any pics of your mirrors?* Sounds like a great setup.

FlyWright
Dont have pict of mirror on my bridge... but... Visit to see actual mirror, CIPA 02022 Extreme 7" x 20" Marine Mirror (I understated its dimensions in my post): http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-02022-Extreme-Marine-Mirror/dp/B0000BYQ8U/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1331680890&sr=8-10
Happy Boating Daze! Art

-- Edited by Art on Tuesday 13th of March 2012 05:33:23 PM

I've got a camera mounted on the aft deck, wired into a monitor in the pilot house. Works great, but I spend most of my time on the flybridge. The mirror is a great idea, but even if I mount one, i still won't be able to see the aft cockpit of the boat when backing down (or anytime for that matter). Thinking about splitting the camera feed and running one to the garmin up there. Mirror is a great idea to see those on the FB behind me when in close quarters though..

BTW... Just thought I'd mention...

In addition to the great big mirror I use only for general quick-warning purposes while going straight ahead (it works very well in that capacity)... I*also often turn 360 to observe all angles.* And, in any really close quarters, docking or otherwise, Im always standing at bridge helm with complete and repeat views in every direction. Cheers! Art

I think we have evolved into speed boat drivers.
Guys get real, we are on slow speed cruising boats, get out and about and look around
check your enviroement , look in the rear view mirror geeeees

Tidahapah wrote:
Guys get real, we are on slow speed cruising boats, get out and about and look around
check your enviroement , look in the rear view mirror geeeees
*I tend to agree...but think it depends on the boat or if towing a dingy.* Some boats you really feel blind in because of the design.* I often wish I had a mirror on my towing assistance boat when towing...so I think I may feel the same with the dingy.

When in areas I'm safely on autopilot and traffic is light...I'm rarely at the helm so walking around and looking is a nice pleasure.

Actually putting along at 7K on the ICW , or most inshore cruising the danger is not noticing a 55ft "sport fish" wallowing along at 25K on your tail.

Its nice to be able to notify those below , although unlike so many marine motorists we do have a gymboled galley range with fiddles..

You said it FF, that is precisely when my mirror comes in most handy. I've lost count of the number of times it has allowed me just enough time to warm everybody, then bear away a bit to take a huge b***dy semi-planer's wake on the stern quarter at least instead of beam on...

I'm sure most of us have less useful, and much more expensive, things on our boats.
Steve W

FF: That is exactly the problem. Down here in Miami, it's common to have 45-70 foot sport fishers in the hands of kids with no concept (and likely no concern) about what happens when they blow someone off the channel, and it's the main reason why I'm heading for the Dania Flea Market this morning in search of a fixed helm seat. Man would I love to give that wake right back to them.

On the Eagle, we have a mirror in the pilot house that is for final checking our hair/make up.*
bleh.gif
When out and about I use the radar which tells me what is around since we can not see in back of us. If I want to see then I have to step out side of the pilot house.* Now on the run about used for play I do have a mirror,*and its not used to check hair/make up as it makes you look big and distorted.**
hmm.gif

Also when out an about I usually like to run just our side of the shipping channel.* Most boats tend to run close to shore, so running further out you do not get many boats and waves.* Lastly being a heavy, rounded hull/stern, full displacment boat we do not get*knocked around much.*
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom