Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
RE: Rear view mirrors

Thanks!* :thumbsup:

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I've got a camera mounted on the aft deck, wired into a monitor in the pilot house. Works great, but I spend most of my time on the flybridge. The mirror is a great idea, but even if I mount one, i still won't be able to see the aft cockpit of the boat when backing down (or anytime for that matter). Thinking about splitting the camera feed and running one to the garmin up there. Mirror is a great idea to see those on the FB behind me when in close quarters though..

KismetLRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

BTW... Just thought I'd mention...

In addition to the great big mirror I use only for general quick-warning purposes while going straight ahead (it works very well in that capacity)... I*also often turn 360 to observe all angles.* And, in any really close quarters, docking or otherwise, Im always standing at bridge helm with complete and repeat views in every direction. Cheers! Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #24
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

I think we have evolved into speed boat drivers.
Guys get real, we are on slow speed cruising boats, get out and about and look around
check your enviroement , look in the rear view mirror geeeees
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
Tidahapah wrote:
Guys get real, we are on slow speed cruising boats, get out and about and look around
check your enviroement , look in the rear view mirror geeeees
*I tend to agree...but think it depends on the boat or if towing a dingy.* Some boats you really feel blind in because of the design.* I often wish I had a mirror on my towing assistance boat when towing...so I think I may feel the same with the dingy.

When in areas I'm safely on autopilot and traffic is light...I'm rarely at the helm so walking around and looking is a nice pleasure.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #26
FF
Guru

Actually putting along at 7K on the ICW , or most inshore cruising the danger is not noticing a 55ft "sport fish" wallowing along at 25K on your tail.

Its nice to be able to notify those below , although unlike so many marine motorists we do have a gymboled galley range with fiddles..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

You said it FF, that is precisely when my mirror comes in most handy. I've lost count of the number of times it has allowed me just enough time to warm everybody, then bear away a bit to take a huge b***dy semi-planer's wake on the stern quarter at least instead of beam on...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #28
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I'm sure most of us have less useful, and much more expensive, things on our boats.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

FF: That is exactly the problem. Down here in Miami, it's common to have 45-70 foot sport fishers in the hands of kids with no concept (and likely no concern) about what happens when they blow someone off the channel, and it's the main reason why I'm heading for the Dania Flea Market this morning in search of a fixed helm seat. Man would I love to give that wake right back to them.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

On the Eagle, we have a mirror in the pilot house that is for final checking our hair/make up.*When out and about I use the radar which tells me what is around since we can not see in back of us. If I want to see then I have to step out side of the pilot house.* Now on the run about used for play I do have a mirror,*and its not used to check hair/make up as it makes you look big and distorted.**
Also when out an about I usually like to run just our side of the shipping channel.* Most boats tend to run close to shore, so running further out you do not get many boats and waves.* Lastly being a heavy, rounded hull/stern, full displacment boat we do not get*knocked around much.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
jeffnick wrote:
I have a sign on the back of the boat...it says, "I'm retired. Go around me." 'Got one on my car too. And it's rare that I have the VHF on...I had it on the other day and it didn't fit, so I left it off. You can wave or give me the finger when you pass, it's all the same to me.
Awesome.* Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw years back "I'm not in your hurry".
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Oh yeah, that's right... Phil reminded me.*
In addition to the huge rearview mirror we have on our Tolly Bridge... also have a nice ski mirror in our 14 foot / 50 HP tow-behind runabout!
Nothing wrong with a pilots mirror for quick checks or warnings in general!**

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #33
TF Site Team

Rear view mirrors

Phil/Fill wrote...
On the Eagle, we have a mirror in the pilot house that is for final checking our hair/make up. When out and about I use the radar which tells me what is around since we can not see in back of us. If I want to see then I have to step out side of the pilot house.Now on the run about used for play I do have a mirror, and its not used to check hair/make up as it makes you look big and distorted.
Also when out an about I usually like to run just our side of the shipping channel.Most boats tend to run close to shore, so running further out you do not get many boats and waves. Lastly being a heavy, rounded hull/stern, full displacment boat we do not get knocked around much.

*************************** __________________
Phil/Fill

Phil, excuse the slight diversion here, but you seem not to have noticed your font size is way smaller than everybody else uses, and it's kinda hard to read, so one tends to skip over your posts a bit. You might find you get more responses it you beefed up your font size to about double what it is now. Just a suggestion...

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 15th of March 2012 08:00:21 PM
Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
jeffnick wrote:
I have a sign on the back of the boat...it says, "I'm retired. Go around me." 'Got one on my car too. And it's rare that I have the VHF on...I had it on the other day and it didn't fit, so I left it off. You can wave or give me the finger when you pass, it's all the same to me.
*It's a shame so many people misuse the VHF that people feel the need to leave it off.

It's really useful for traffic situations (especially if monitoring/scanning 16/13) and I woulod always feel bad if I missed a mayday I could have assisted on.

It is FCC regs that you have it on and monitoring 16...but I know lots of boaters that don't.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #35
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Rear view mirrors

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
Phil/Fill wrote...
On the Eagle, we have a mirror in the pilot house that is for final checking our hair/make up. When out and about I use the radar which tells me what is around since we can not see in back of us. If I want to see then I have to step out side of the pilot house.Now on the run about used for play I do have a mirror, and its not used to check hair/make up as it makes you look big and distorted.
Also when out an about I usually like to run just our side of the shipping channel.Most boats tend to run close to shore, so running further out you do not get many boats and waves. Lastly being a heavy, rounded hull/stern, full displacment boat we do not get knocked around much.

*************************** __________________
Phil/Fill

Phil, excuse the slight diversion here, but you seem not to have noticed your font size is way smaller than everybody else uses, and it's kinda hard to read, so one tends to skip over your posts a bit. You might find you get more responses it you beefed up your font size to about double what it is now. Just a suggestion...

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 15th of March 2012 08:00:21 PM
When I type a reply its normal size, but if you added as Emoticon it goes smaller.* I would go back but I don't know/see*how to change the size?*

PS* I wear 2.5 times cheater glasses.* So things look bigger.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 16th of March 2012 08:53:54 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 16th of March 2012 09:00:08 AM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #36
TF Site Team

Just eave out the emoticons then Phil - they may be cute, but seldom add much to the conversation. If you do feel you really must use one, then you can use 'advanced editor' and go back and highlight what you wrote and then go to the font drop-down and enlarge it again.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #37
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

If you don't see a 55' sport fisher comming up on your stern then you are not keeping an efficient look out and shouldn't be out in you boat.
Go home and tie the boat up at the marina.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Tidahapah wrote:
If you don't see a 55' sport fisher comming up on your stern then you are not keeping an efficient look out and shouldn't be out in you boat.
Go home and tie the boat up at the marina.
Eyeballs, binoculars, night vision devices, radar...and even the lowly rear view mirror are only tools....can't replace common sense or vigilance...but the more tools you have at your disposal..the better off you are.

I don't have one or feel I need one...but to slam those that do is just ignorance.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #39
Guru

Finally got around to installing this too

I bought the mirror at West Marine for $60 and made the mount out of wood. Several coats of an oil based paint, we'll see how long that lasts. I didn't want to drill holes in the aluminum hard top support.

I've used the boat a couple of times and found the mirror helpful. May install another one on the port side, we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050406.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	28382  
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #40
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
When evaluating a boat, one of the very first things I do is go to each helm, put one hand on the gear knobs and look around. I know plenty of people like them for various reasons, but I personally could never have a pilot house or other helm set up type that has restricted visibility. One of the biggest things I liked about my boat was the almost 360 degree visibility from both helms, and having a full door and side deck immediately on each side of the lower helm. Sure, radar helps a lot, but for me , it is just not the same as getting a straight visual confirmation. If you don't have that vision, I see nothing wrong in installing a rear view mirror. A buddy had one on his Maxum and it was very handy for backing into the slip, plus people who are used to using a mirror while driving a car may check them more.

As for not having the VHF on, man, that is just so wrong....

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote