rear view camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though we have a rear view camera, we still prefer radar for anything coming up astern of us. Using 'trails', we can see exactly what it's going on. The full picture, as they say.

We also have a rear view camera but the radar beats it hollow.

Rear view camera

Years ago , a rearward facing camera was instalked on the MV Odyssey. Turned out to be a security camera, wide angle, good during daylight hour only. The wide angle lens showed large ships the rest not really seen until until they were passing you. This was not acceptable. During research, I learned it is the lens, and the magnification. Thimk of this issue as a zoom lens. You need to find a magnification you can live with. The camera we use yoday, while mot perfect at least lets you see smaller vessels clearly. I wznt to say around 50-60mm. This camera is not useful for backing into a befth.

rear view camera installed

Just finished installing the new rear view cam and monitor. This unit came from Tadibros.com. It's a 170 degree view angle HD camera (with infra red night vision), a 7" monitor with mount and 50' of upgraded cable. Pretty simple install. Haven't had the boat out yet, but right here in the marina the picture is good and clear with a wide view angle. Lots of ways to adjust the picture to suit your tastes. Most importantly you can flip the picture left and right so a boat approaching from port shows up on the left side of the screen. Apparently some setups won't do that and you have mentally reverse the image -boats on port show up on the right side of the screen. Here are the numbers for this unit- SKU24464 for 170 degree cam and 7"monitor. SKU16108 for the HD cam upgrade and cable upgrade. $301.68 total with shipping.

Definitely want the reverse image camera. Makes it intuitive.

I have a Yumei (Amazon) wireless back up camera and it works OK for docking but while underway I can only see a boat if it is really big or right up on me. Like you, I want to be able to see boats before they get close. Rearview or backup cameras are typically wide angle and you can only see things clearly within a few hundred feet. I've looked for cameras that have a narrower angle and are zoomed but the only ones I found are for home security and run off 110v. Can anyone recommend a 12v, 45-90 degree zoomed camera system?

Just bought my 1991 Carver Californian 48 in February after 45 years of sailing. We back into our slip so we can use the swim platform as an alternate for boarding. I have no easy view from the fly bridge so backup cameras are going to be a “must have”.

I keep an iPad Pro at the helm on a Ram mount. I would prefer to wirelessly stream my camera feeds directly to the iPad rather than through a router. Has anyone done this?

Can anyone recommend a 12v, 45-90 degree zoomed camera system?

Search “varifocal 12 volt security camera” on Amazon, you will get several options. I have had one for a few years looking forward, using a video monitor display meant for kids to watch movies in the back of a van.

Here is a sample, there are lots.
Bright Clear Night Vision 1080P Sony Exmor Sensor (TVI/AHD/CVI/1200tvl) 2.8-12mm Manual Zoom Security Camera, Honic 2MP Varifocal CCTV Cameras, Outdoor Waterproof Analog Camera for Video Surveillance

Bill

[I just ordered a 7" monitor, high def 170 degree camera and 35' cable from Tadi Brothers. Lots of positive reviews. $300 w/shipping. I'll let you know how it works. Will add on the ER cam later.[/QUOTE]

We are looking at the same. Are you happy with yours? Would love to hear a full report on your experience so far with this

Cameras are only good for close maneuvering in a slip or to monitor your ER. As far as boat coming up on you, I would recommend putting your radar to work.
good luck,

Cameras are only good for close maneuvering in a slip or to monitor your ER. As far as boat coming up on you, I would recommend putting your radar to work.
good luck,

I respectfully disagree. I just installed forward and aft facing cameras, and use the aft one not only for backing in, but monitoring the Whaler we tow, any dross traffic when backing out of a slip/dock, and to confirm overtaking vessels shown on radar or AIS.

sorry that you feel that way (Pau Hana) however, what do you use the forward facing camera for?

I respectfully disagree. I just installed forward and aft facing cameras, and use the aft one not only for backing in, but monitoring the Whaler we tow, any dross traffic when backing out of a slip/dock, and to confirm overtaking vessels shown on radar or AIS.

Interesting. Do you have to leave the chart to get the camera? Or do you generally run it in split screen with it on?

sorry that you feel that way (Pau Hana) however, what do you use the forward facing camera for?

Both cameras are integrated with the Raymarine Clear Cruise Augmented Reality system:

Onboard with Raymarine's new ClearCruise Augmented Reality technology

Interesting. Do you have to leave the chart to get the camera? Or do you generally run it in split screen with it on?

The upper helm has 2 Axion 12" MFDs; my usual running configuration has the left screen split to display engine info, depth, and the rear camera.TThe right screen is split to show the chart and the forward camera.

Even though we have a rear view camera, we still prefer radar for anything coming up astern of us. Using 'trails', we can see exactly what it's going on. The full picture, as they say.

We also have a rear view camera but the radar beats it hollow.
Ditto to all of the above!:oldman:

I've had good luck with the Garmin cameras. I have them all over the place. The one in the engine room shows up pretty well in the dark. They must have some kind of night capability. I use the one on the back of the hardtop to keep a look out behind. I can see pretty far back. I'm very happy with the Garmin's.

As the stand-on vessel, you don't typically need to take action when being overtaken. Knowing your being overtaken doesn't actually change the outcome. Being 'surprised' is really just an emotion.

I charge my wife with keeping look out and notifying me of overtaking vessels. You should still be checking behind you on a regular basis in channels, simply to make sure you're actually IN the channel. Relying on the marker in front of you to verify your location in the channel isn't sufficient, nor is relying on the GPS chart and location being accurate.

As the stand-on vessel, you don't typically need to take action when being overtaken. Knowing your being overtaken doesn't actually change the outcome. Being 'surprised' is really just an emotion.

I charge my wife with keeping look out and notifying me of overtaking vessels. You should still be checking behind you on a regular basis in channels, simply to make sure you're actually IN the channel. Relying on the marker in front of you to verify your location in the channel isn't sufficient, nor is relying on the GPS chart and location being accurate.

Yes as long as I'm continuing my current course and speed. But if I want to make a turn I need to be aware of who I'm turning in front of. I don't have great visibility aft (okay, not great), so this would just make it easier to be sure.

And yes that is also my wife's role and she does it well. But she's not always with me when i'm out.
BD

I have a rear view camera on Play d'eau, but certainly don't (wouldn't / canb't) use it for collision avoidance. It's no where near good enough and not a patch on radar.

Yes as long as I'm continuing my current course and speed. But if I want to make a turn I need to be aware of who I'm turning in front of. I don't have great visibility aft (okay, not great), so this would just make it easier to be sure.

And yes that is also my wife's role and she does it well. But she's not always with me when i'm out.
BD

You're making a bit of a different argument than that of the OP, too whom I was responding. Although, that being said, I find it difficult to believe that your field of vision on the bridge of a Silverton 410 is that poor that you can't maintain adequate collision avoidance to properly navigate from the helm.

I had a friend with a Silverton 390 Aft cabin with a hard top over the back deck and this still was not an issue. If you want an aft facing camera the feel free to install it.

Admittedly much of my vision problem is due to the poor condition of the enclosure, not the boat itself. We're hoping to replace that next year.

Attachments

• DSCN6982.jpg
    DSCN6982.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 41
Costco license plate backup camera

Mounted to rail on cabin top facing aft

Attachments

• C84DAA0D-196C-4268-BD25-361DCD98AF1D.jpg
    C84DAA0D-196C-4268-BD25-361DCD98AF1D.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 27
Rear View Camera

my Raymarine rear view camera is bad and can't be repaired.
Is there an inexpensive, maybe around $100, for an IMAGE REVERSE Camera that will work with my chart plotter ?.
Raymarine cost is too much.

Last edited:
Rear View camera

Looks good but not IR Image Reverse.
I'm trying to just use my existing Furuno Chart Plotter

Cameras

Attachments

• 20190915_081942.jpg
    20190915_081942.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom