Really snotty weather!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unusually bad here in Sarasota FL. Rain for 24 hours Thursday with rain and wind all Friday. Saw a sailboat break free from its mooring buoy and beach. Wife and I are beat.

Graduated SHS 1965. Worked for Samson after HS. May have worked with your Dad.
My dad was Pat Stoppelman, he traded Baggens the Kiowa, (old Foss 19 that dad repowered) for the Inverness. He brought the Inverness to Seattle and then we went back up on it in summer of '66 and towed for the summer, lived on Marine St, and later for the full school year of 68-69, I was a sophomore and my brother graduated there in '69. Small world.

The NorthWest has the most beautiful summer weather in the country. BOTH weeks of it!

The PNW is scenic and green with forest. The rain is the price you pay. There are probably clear skies in Arizona or New Mexico.

200w.gif

My dad was Pat Stoppelman, he traded Baggens the Kiowa, (old Foss 19 that dad repowered) for the Inverness. He brought the Inverness to Seattle and then we went back up on it in summer of '66 and towed for the summer, lived on Marine St, and later for the full school year of 68-69, I was a sophomore and my brother graduated there in '69. Small world.

Yes indeed I knew your Dad. I worked on both the Kiowa, and Inverness at different times in the late sixties, as well as the Samson. Your Dad had some great stories. My wife's sister is class of 69.
Don't want to hijack this thread, if you'd like to visit my email is Woodturner332@Gmail.com

YESTERDAY there were gusts to 54 at Shelter Bay Marina....next to La Conner.

A poor screen capture, but Sandheads, 57, gusting 67 knots from the south yesterday
IMG_2904.JPG
24 hours later and winds variable 1-4 kts. I took the boat from Steveston to False Creek today.

Yes, unbelievably high winds. Here at home in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, we have been without power for 48 hours (just came back on now), and we are on water rationing (if you can believe it with all of this rain!!!), due to the power outage creating computer problems at the water treatment plant (water supply). No ETA for the water repair.
As far as newbies moving to the PNW (both US and Canada), a morning radio DJ described local boating this way: "Put on the most expensive foul weather gear you can get, go stand in a shower and turn on the water to get it as ice cold as you can, and rip up $100 dollar bills" :) That will give you a feel for boating in the NW. This quote is from a few years ago, so it is probably $1,000 dollar bills now!
Merry Christmas,
Tom

My daughter and hubby are just here from Nanaimo today and she said exactly what you just posted! A real PITA for sure. We lost power for 8 hours but that is all, no water issues.

My daughter and hubby are just here from Nanaimo today and she said exactly what you just posted! A real PITA for sure. We lost power for 8 hours but that is all, no water issues.
Yes, no fun for sure. We were lucky, as I own (used to use it on our former boat, a sailboat) a Honda 2000 generator. I fired that up after it had been sitting for over 3 years and was able to power our fridge and separate freezer. Otherwise, I could have lost a lot of food (stocked up for Christmas):facepalm:
Anyway, we bought our new to us boat "Pilitak" in late 2016 from a person who moored it in LaConner (at a private dock). Lovely spot (and great boat).
Merry Christmas,
Tom

I think I remember that boat Tom. Hope they get it all up and running up there soon. Daughter will be here till after Xmas so its all good.

News from Saltspring is much the same. Power is still out, expected to be out for up to a week, barring further storm damage. Boats adrift in Maple Bay saw an RCMSAR tasking during the blast. (Good job guys!).

Uuhh. Aren't boats and ships made to be out in the weather? OK. Some "toys" need extra protection. ;) Don't boats with tall masts haven't the option of being covered?

Real snotty weather

Its all my fault of course. Ever since I moved my boat from covered to open, (less than half the price), it has done nothing but rain, blow or both! Right now its both and for the near future nothing is forecast but rain and wind, lots of it! Just looking at the Nat Weather service report from Seattle and combined waves on the coast are predicted to be near 30' in height in a couple of days! Right now they are in the low 20' range. Both of these conditions are fairly normal for late fall but come on! We have several days of this yet. Of course I keep second guessing myself for moving, it was nice when I did, but here we are. I remember once going thru one of my tugboat skipper dads log books. He was towing logs here on the Sound and had anchored up for this kind of weather. He noted thusly, "rain and wind I tell you Vat!". Yep, another beautiful day in the NW!
At least you won't have the bird and fly sh-t.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom