Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
"With all them big guns over there and you still need security system"

Maybe I do and maybe I don't.

bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #22
Guru

City: kemah
A pier neighbor has 3 streaming web cams aimed at his boat from the dock. I like to stop by and perform occasional monkey skits on them.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
A pier neighbor has 3 streaming web cams aimed at his boat from the dock. I like to stop by and perform occasional monkey skits on them.
Now all he needs is audio so that he can then say, "Nice Show" to you and perhaps ask for an encore. It's certainly fun to watch reactions when you speak to people close to your boat.

The one challenge is to not invade the privacy of others with cameras. We are careful to leave all cameras adjusted so they aren't.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Serenus
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 44
ksanders...how are you monitoring your 12 volt system? I see various products on the iris website, but do not see anything to monitor dc power with. Maybe I missed it.
Thanks
Poulsbo, WA
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Cameras do not stop crime, they just record it. You might get lucky and see the faces and recognize them but probably not. Police do not normally lot of time and energy to property like this.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Police do not normally lot of time and energy to property like this.
Actually, if you have photos or video of the criminals, police will jump in feet first. In today's internet and social media, getting people identified has changed dramatically. Then the one key thing that brings their willingness to work on it. That is that your theft isn't the only one they've done. It's rarely their first time, so likely it's solving several crimes.

Police have gotten very in tune with searching for cameras. They use red light cameras, The ask stores if they have any video in front of their buildings. In the past, police didn't pursue these cases aggressively because the chances of making an arrest were so slim. That's changed in some cases and the moment they find out they have video, their attitude has changed.

You also indicated that cameras do nothing to stop crime. They can. They can set off an alarm, or sounds that are hard for humans to tolerate. They can turn lights on the intruder. They can release smoke (non-toxic). They can even notify you, allow you to see, even allow you to speak to the intruder.

Now, I'm not saying that most have cameras set up to do that, but just that it is possible. Really not a lot different than some of the other alarms. If we get an alert of water in the bilge, we do have a camera set in the engine room that would allow us to actually see it.

When it comes to security, whether for engines or bilges or intrusions, even pirates, there is new technology that can be very useful and for which prices have and are dropping. The one the OP mentioned and the one mentioned during the thread are both good examples.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Actually, ............
Actually, I often wonder why, when people want to disagree with another poster, they often start their post with "Actually" ? Does that make the second poster more right or the first poster more wrong?

Police in most areas only take reports when there is a property theft of a few hundred dollars. Often they won't even come to the scene, they take the information over the phone.

Yes, if there's a rape or murder they will come around asking for copies of video surveillance. Theft of a $200 radio? Only if it's a very slow day.

Now if you're at home, sitting and watching a live video feed and see something going on, you can call the police, but most of us have other things to do with our time.

If you want to minimize the chances of someone entering or taking your boat, your best bet is to keep it in a low crime, well lit area, find a way to lock it securely and have an alarm system that will scare people away when they try to enter.

A camera is not useless but other things are far more important.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstauffer View Post
ksanders...how are you monitoring your 12 volt system? I see various products on the iris website, but do not see anything to monitor dc power with. Maybe I missed it.
Thanks
that was the toughest one.

I use a contact closure, in essence a door alarm to monitor the alarm output of the link State Of Charge meter which is programmed for 12.5 volts.

If the battery charger goes out, the batteries go to 12 volts, and the SOC METER goes into alarm.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Actually, I often wonder why, when people want to disagree with another poster, they often start their post with "Actually" ? Does that make the second poster more right or the first poster more wrong?

Actually, I wonder why a poster would go to the trouble of pointing out "actually." There is nothing heinous intended with the use of the word. It seems more polite than saying "I think you're full of crap." I stand by what I posted and do so based on experience. So let's just disagree on the content and not over "actually."

I'm sure it varies by location, but outside of major cities, police have a lot of quiet time for small crimes, homeowners with minor complaints, and vehicles that have been parked somewhere for a long time. Most marinas are located in such locations.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Actually, I wonder why a poster would go to the trouble of pointing out "actually." There is nothing heinous intended with the use of the word. It seems more polite than saying "I think you're full of crap." I stand by what I posted and do so based on experience. So let's just disagree on the content and not over "actually." .
Actually, the less rude thing to say would be "I disagree", "That has not been my experience", etc.

The police figure you have insurance so they will take your information over the phone and write a report. If you recognize the thieves, they will probably be willing to take on the case. Just a video of a couple guys in hoodies walking away with your stuff, probably not.

My son in law is a LEO so the next time I see him I'll ask about it.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
that was the toughest one.

I use a contact closure, in essence a door alarm to monitor the alarm output of the link State Of Charge meter which is programmed for 12.5 volts.

If the battery charger goes out, the batteries go to 12 volts, and the SOC METER goes into alarm.
There are a lot of ways to measure battery voltage or charging current but if what you're doing works, there's no reason to change anything.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #32
Guru

City: NC
Actually, I can't resist...

I am on another website that is related to rural living and there have been several discussions of incidents where people have been photographed or filmed performing criminal acts and local law enforcement have done NOTHING. There is one guy whose mother's old, but mint condition, car was stolen. He found the car by using up some shoe leather, told the POlice where the car was located and they just did not care. Because the car had sentimental value for his mother he went all out, and in spite of the initial POlice response and insurance issues, he was able to retrieve the car. This was in a large city but the family has lived there for generations and had connections but that barely helped. If he had not be VERY determined to find his mom's car it never would have been found, much less returned.

There have been other incidents discussed in rural areas where the local agency just did not want to bother even when handed the images.

Flip side is that even when the agency does do something, what happens in court and with court orders, is a whole other matter.

Actually.

Later,
Dan(Who Thinks Cameras Are A good Idea)
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
A simple trip wire system can release a can of Mace when triggered.
Better increase your liability insurance first. That can get you sued. Big time.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 AM   #34
Guru

Actually, I think that if people see an area is monitored with cameras, they are less likely to misbehave(save for what barnacles`s monkey impressions), for fear of being recorded committing the act.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:21 AM   #35
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Better increase your liability insurance first. That can get you sued. Big time.
Ironically you could probably shoot them dead if you are aboard and get away with it...but you could get sued if you mace them while not aboard...

What a screwed up system.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Actually, I think that if people see an area is monitored with cameras, they are less likely to misbehave(save for what barnacles`s monkey impressions), for fear of being recorded committing the act.
You don't need real cameras for that.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #37
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Quote:
You don't need real cameras for that.
You are right, actually.

In our old house, I put stickers, that said we had a security system/cameras, on the house windows and doors. Since we were never robbed, the "signs" most have worked.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #38
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
A commercial duty local alarm system saved my boat from being completely emptied by a drug addict employed at the yard I was hauled at. The boat was inside and he broke in late at night through a side window. The motion detector saw him and two very loud sirens blew him right out the door. Had the alarm not been armed, he would have come back night after night until he had everything. Fortunately, he's now in jail. For those who want remote notification of different events, here is a very inexpensive GPS tracking alarm system. While it's not made for boats, it's easy to connect a few sensors to monitor your choice of parameters. It will notify you by cell phone of intruders, low battery voltage, if the boat is moved, where it currently is, how fast its going, you can monitor conversations in the boat and even rig it to shut down the motors. I have one in my motor home.

Amazon.com: GPS GPRS SMS Coban Real-time tracker TK103A Quad band SD card slot anti-theft move alarm by SMS: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
You are right, actually.

In our old house, I put stickers, that said we had a security system/cameras, on the house windows and doors. Since we were never robbed, the "signs" most have worked.

Later,
Dan
When I bought my home in 2005, there were ADT stickers on the doors and windows and a sign in the yard. From then to 2014 we had no break ins.

In2014 we were planning a long cruise so we actually signed up with ADT, had the system updated and began paying $45 per month monitoring fee. From then to now we have had no break ins.

What does this prove? Absolutely nothing. Well maybe that our house is in a relatively safe neighborhood.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #40
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The rule of thumb for law enforcement in general is..... it is not the punishment that deters crime, it is the inevitability of punishment that does.

Most criminals are dumb...but not so dumb that if they think they are being video taped that they continue without thinking about that video....and maybe reconsider.

Real or fake...video surveillance has proven effective in many areas for many crimes. Certainly not all.... but many.

If you want police to help...a video of the crime with any leads in it is worth...oh ....say... a thousand times more than a statement saying something is missing from my boat/house. If a video doesn't entice some action...file a complaint. Not saying they have to jump on it...but at least it is more likely to lead to something than thin air.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote