Old 05-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Re-configuring my wash down setup at bow

I have a Jabsco 120vac rubber impeller utility pump, 118100003
https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-11810-.../dp/B000O8DAVY

It came with the boat. I had to majorly repair and rebuild it as the motor shaft rusted to the impeller and it had to be torched off. The rear seal had failed, so a perfectly good impeller I had to destroy. I got a new entriely rubber coated seal from the bearing supply house, much better design than OEM and even changed the metal spring to a rubber o'ring, so no more leak, and no more corrosion.

But it works fine again. This time I used Rectorseal T plus 2 on the shaft to keep away any water.

It sucks up raw water from a through hull, then I split the output front and rear.
My rear hose is 3/4" or 5/8" standard garden hose.
But the front hose which runs through the bilge up to the bow, I used a 1/2 inch garden hose. It is perhaps 40 feet long and I don't like the volume and pressure up there at the bow. So I am going to change to a 3/4 " garden hose which will take me hours to remove the old hose and put in the bigger hose.

Do you think it will improve the water flow using the bigger diameter hose?
How much PSI does this pump create?

I went with a Globe run dry impeller on the rebuild.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Try connecting the same length of 3/4 inch hose to the pump, run the hose temporarily thru the boat to the bow and see the results. If the run and rise are comparable to the final installation, the results should be similar.

I'd recommend a proper reinforced hose in place of a garden hose for marine use below deck.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
You'll have a little more water volume and a little less water pressure with the bigger hose. A good spray fitting will help with that some.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Jabsco 11810-0003 Flexible Impeller Utility Pump
Product Details Page:
FEATURES
Pump Body: Bronze
Port Size: 3/4" Garden Hose External Thread and 1/2" NPT Internal Thread
Flow: Up To 9.6 GPM at 10ft of Head
Pressure: 17.3 PSI Max
Impeller: Nitrile or Neoprene
Shaft Seal: Lip Type
Shaft: Stainless Steel Sleeve over Motor Shaft
Motor: 1/3 HP, 115V AC 60 HZ, 1725 RPM, Single Phase, Capacitor Type, Open Drip Proof or Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled.
Handle and 8' Cord with 3 prong grounded plug on ODP motor only.
Optional Vacuum Switch Available for Automatic Shut-Off Operation.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Guru

I need to upgrade to something better than our current 24v 18lpm pump but won't be dropping $1000 or more (Australia) on a jabsco.

Will get one of these when next ashore and see how many years I get from it
Slightly better spec to above jabsco and 1/8th the price.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-60...-pump_p4816178
Old 05-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I need to upgrade to something better than our current 24v 18lpm pump but won't be dropping $1000 or more (Australia) on a jabsco.

Will get one of these when next ashore and see how many years I get from it
Slightly better spec to above jabsco and 1/8th the price.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-60...-pump_p4816178
Its cheap for sure, thing is I see it is some kind of metal, maybe pot metal- aluminum, wont last long pumping salt water.

I agree the Jabsco is a lot of money, I would not have bought it, but it came with the boat.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Its cheap for sure, thing is I see it is some kind of metal, maybe pot metal- aluminum, wont last long pumping salt water.

True, but i was actually thinking that pump housing was plastic, i could be wrong.
If the pump section is rubbish metal there are other brands with plastic, even s/s ends for similar and even less.

I was hoping it would be as robust as our 4th and 5th bilge pump which are same brand, 240v submersibles and have been living down in the bowels for god knows how long yet pump like a madman when tested.

Quote:
I agree the Jabsco is a lot of money, I would not have bought it, but it came with the boat.
Yeah, I have a bit of a downer on them at the moment as I need a spare raw water for the engine and that's over a thousand as well.

Mission critical so not a lot of choice there.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
SDowney - That Jabsco pump won't do much heavy duty pressure washing with a maximum operating pressure of 17.3 psi.

Simi - the Ozito pump is worth a try. That one is rated at 4000 kPa (580 psi) so should give a good hard spray without lifting the paint.

Ozito are starting to build some decent budget gear. I bought one of their cheap jackhammers for about $70 and have got my moneys worth many times over.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post

Ozito are starting to build some decent budget gear. I bought one of their cheap jackhammers for about $70 and have got my moneys worth many times over.
I have been using them as my expensive metabo, bosch, Hitachi, makita gear give up their smoke.

I have smoked a few ozito products over the years but have had no drama getting new for old replacement on the spot even when the tool has clearly led a hard life and been covered in epoxy.
That'd never happen with expensive gear, in the shop for months and me doing without if I'm lucky but more likely weaseling out claiming abuse of product.

Add: that ozito pump has a
Quote:
Warranty Info
3 Year Replacement Warranty
If I get 3 years it will have paid for itself, if not, a shiny new one thanks.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
We have a $150 Karcher high pressure washer hooked up to fresh water deck tap so we can give the boat a quick salt free rinse in 7 minutes. The Karcher uses minimal water
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
So much effort for a pump that has a cutoff of less than 20 psi.

I have 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pumps.../dp/B0073JNWL0
One sits between the water tanks and provides fresh water to two washdowns, one on the bow, the other in the cockpit. The other lives in the bow and pulls seawater from a 1" thru hull that was formerly a macerator discharge. It's piped to a 2nd washdown on the bow, both quick-connects https://www.westmarine.com/buy/jabsc...11_335_001_507 so the hose can be switched between fresh and seawater. They develop pressure that rivals most dockside pressure (or about 70 psi) and plenty of volume (5.2 gpm). They've both been in service for about 10 yrs. They're a perfect application for washdown.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Washdown pump

Seems to me that using a "garden hose" will lead to pressure loss. Try PVC maybe for most of the run if you can. I ran copper tubing through the anchor locker and under the forward berth before converting to stiff reinforced hose. I had acceptable pressure, or should I say, really strong spray. That was my old boat. My new boat has not shown an ability to put water through the spigot yet. Need to see what the current owner can get done before I take possession. Ah, no, this is not a drop dead kill the deal issue while we continue to negotiate improvements needed from the survey.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:56 PM   #13
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Is the bow outlet higher than the stern outlet? I have a washdown system that works well in the cockpit but less so on the bow and is not much more than a dribble on the flybridge. The pump just doesn't have the pressure to overcome a head of more than a few feet. You might want to check that before making big changes.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #14
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
So much effort for a pump that has a cutoff of less than 20 psi.

I have 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pumps.../dp/B0073JNWL0
One sits between the water tanks and provides fresh water to two washdowns, one on the bow, the other in the cockpit. The other lives in the bow and pulls seawater from a 1" thru hull that was formerly a macerator discharge. It's piped to a 2nd washdown on the bow, both quick-connects https://www.westmarine.com/buy/jabsc...11_335_001_507 so the hose can be switched between fresh and seawater. They develop pressure that rivals most dockside pressure (or about 70 psi) and plenty of volume (5.2 gpm). They've both been in service for about 10 yrs. They're a perfect application for washdown.
Slick. Sounds like the model system.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Is the bow outlet higher than the stern outlet? I have a washdown system that works well in the cockpit but less so on the bow and is not much more than a dribble on the flybridge. The pump just doesn't have the pressure to overcome a head of more than a few feet. You might want to check that before making big changes.
That's a really bad pump.

Our current wash down is a 24v Johnson WD 3.5 and that's 7 ft under the cockpit floor.
Our front deck is 3 ft above that
Our top deck is 4 ft above that
And an outdoor shower on the ceiling 6 ft higher again.
That's close enough to 20 ft with no noticeable drop in pressure.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:28 AM   #16
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Interesting facts regarding pumping water (or not)

The hydrostatic pressure of fresh water is 0.433 psi/foot (1 psi drop for every 2.31 feet of head) With salt water, the hydrostatic pressure is about 5% more.

A long hose will also cause some pressure drop when flowing, especially if its a small diameter hose and a high flow rate. With the water shut off and the end of the hose, there is no pressure drop other than the effect of hydrostatic pressure.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:56 AM   #17
Guru

Maybe I should try our old pool pump which works.
It is all reinforced plastic with SS seal, continuous duty pump.
The pool pump produces high volume, high pressure and has a builtin strainer basket.
And the pump could be connected to a well pressure switch to turn it on and off with demand by using a PVC check valve to hold the pressure. So pull trigger, pump comes on, let go, pressure builds, pump turns off, on demand. I suppose then the 1/2 inch hose could work ok at the bow. With that switch, you also can adjust the PSI of the pump.

I also have an old McDonald jet well pump, heavy cast iron, I got cheap at a yard sale, but I know the cast iron would rust a lot.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:54 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Maybe I should try our old pool pump which works.
It is all reinforced plastic with SS seal, continuous duty pump.
A thought I have had also.
We have a spa on the front deck that we have only used for dropping fenders in.
We'll be getting rid of it soon but it does have an onga balboa pump @ 300 litres/hour.

It also happens to be what our Jabsco 7420-0101 raw water pump for the engine puts out so I have been thinking deck wash/emergency raw water pump maybe?
Old 05-25-2018, 05:41 AM   #19
FF
Guru

Many of the new dirt house shallow well water pumps are almost all plastic,

1 1/2 suction with 1 1/2 or 1 inch discharge and 40-60 PSI .

Non marine pricing $ 150 or less in the USA.

Sure it will need a bigger thru hull but you can blast chain clean faster.

If you don't mind an even bigger thru hill a clutched engine driven 2 inch pump is about 100GPM , great for wash down , fire duty or as a real emergency bilge pulp.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
A thought I have had also.
We have a spa on the front deck that we have only used for dropping fenders in.
We'll be getting rid of it soon but it does have an onga balboa pump @ 300 litres/hour.

It also happens to be what our Jabsco 7420-0101 raw water pump for the engine puts out so I have been thinking deck wash/emergency raw water pump maybe?
Those pool pumps could EASILY supply the engines with raw water. They have to flow a lot of water through filters to keep pools clean.
And some pools uses salt water and all pools use corrosive chemicals and the pumps are well made, designed to run all the time, and you can easily get parts for them.

I am looking at mine, I have 2 here. I decided to take one apart and clean it up, paint it, grease it, and use it for my wash pump. It can also be used as an emergency bilge pump. Since I have 120vac, I can run this no problem, I do also have an inverter and generator.

A couple things, the motor shaft has a short section exposed between motor and pump, should be painted, greased and maybe rubber tube pressed over top. Motor end plates should be well painted, the internal armature can be painted and greased, the steel internal motor shell can be smeared with grease or sprayed with white lithium lube and around the windings, the centrifugal switch, etc...all with marine water resistant grease, just to let it last a long time and be reliable pump.