Old 11-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #1

City: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boundless
Vessel Model: 2013 North Pacific 43'
Raymarine e7d - need larger display

I have a Raymarine e7 display in the lower helm (master) and an e7D on the bridge where we cruise 99% of the time. I’d like something significantly larger on the bridge (12” or larger) but having difficulty figuring out what might be compatible - any suggestions?
Jmreim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Your displays are considered legacy products by Raymarine, and support will continue to wane.

I recommend going to the Axion 9” series, depending on your dash real estate and sonar needs.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
I recommend going to the Axion 9” series, depending on your dash real estate and sonar needs.
I tend to agree with Pau Hana but I would compare the Lighthouse II vs Lighthouse III for those software items that you deem important to your kind of cruising. (eg I selected the eS127 &128 MFDs which have screen dimensions of 12.1 inches. They also have a HDMI OUT port that allows me to run anHDMI cable to the smart TV in the salon. I can view anything that the master MFD has on screen plus all 4 of my camera views. (Nice for the folks that prefer to hang out in the salon and not on the bridge.) The Axium is also a great MFD but runs on Lighthouse III which doesn't have some of the goodies that Lighthouse II has.
Attached Thumbnails
MFD Set Up.jpg  
Old 11-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
Guru

The es series can run Lighthouse 2 or 3, while Axion is 3 only. I agree that the HDMI out is a nice feature, but not a critical one for most applications. Also, the es processors are not as robust as the Axiom, so future software enhancements may not work as well as they could.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Good luck !! Updating or trying to find compatible electronics is one of the most frustrating aspects of boating. You'd think manufacturers would at least make newer models backwards compatible with older ones but no. They want you to spend $$$$ for all new every time.
If you want just a chartplotter it doesn't matter much. Get one with a built in antenna and good charts. But if you want depth and/or radar too fat chance of anything working together.
Raymarine does have a forum on their site where you can ask. I'd start there.
FWIW I went with an a97 chartplotter. Came with a transom mount transducer that I epoxied in the bilge to shoot thru. Works fine so far. All I want is depth under the keel but it seems to show bottom detail pretty well too.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmreim View Post
I have a Raymarine e7 display in the lower helm (master) and an e7D on the bridge where we cruise 99% of the time. I’d like something significantly larger on the bridge (12” or larger) but having difficulty figuring out what might be compatible - any suggestions?
Go talk to Midshore Electronics in Cambridge Md. They will walk you through compatabilty. They installed an e125 and e127 and AIS for us. Good folks
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
Good luck !! Updating or trying to find compatible electronics is one of the most frustrating aspects of boating. You'd think manufacturers would at least make newer models backwards compatible with older ones but no. They want you to spend $$$$ for all new every time.
If you want just a chartplotter it doesn't matter much. Get one with a built in antenna and good charts. But if you want depth and/or radar too fat chance of anything working together.
Raymarine does have a forum on their site where you can ask. I'd start there.
FWIW I went with an a97 chartplotter. Came with a transom mount transducer that I epoxied in the bilge to shoot thru. Works fine so far. All I want is depth under the keel but it seems to show bottom detail pretty well too.
The e7 series is almost 10 years old, which is eons in the tech world. Backwards compatibility is indeed there, but can only go back so far- especially when the software platform demands more and more system resources.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
The es series can run Lighthouse 2 or 3, while Axiom is 3 only. I agree that the HDMI out is a nice feature, but not a critical one for most applications. Also, the es processors are not as robust as the Axiom, so future software enhancements may not work as well as they could.
You've landed on one of the things that affected my decision, eS can run both Lighthouse II & III. Although I'm aware of the changes from eS to Axiom, Lighthouse II gives me more of what my cruising routine experiences. My buddy, a blow boater, loves his Axiom as it offers more goodies for the sailor.
As for the HDMI OUT feature (I believe both models have this but I'm not sure..) Not wanting to spend a lot more money on duplicating the system, a HDMI cable running directly from the MFD to the smart TV, allows the folks below to see whatever I'm looking at! Course, radar, depth, speed, etc., including a real time video of what's ahead! I just love this stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
eS128.jpg  
Old 11-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
The e7 series is almost 10 years old, which is eons in the tech world. Backwards compatibility is indeed there, but can only go back so far- especially when the software platform demands more and more system resources.
There is a lot to be said for staying a generation behind in electronics. They don't pay me enough to be their beta tester for buggy new features
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #10

City: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boundless
Vessel Model: 2013 North Pacific 43'
Thx - I like your reasoning. So what is the model # of the device pictured?
Jmreim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
Guru

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmreim View Post
Thx - I like your reasoning. So what is the model # of the device pictured?
Since I'm the only one who posted a pic, I assume the question is directed at me.

The MFD in the photo is a Raymarine eS128. They also have an eS127 (less money) as it does not have CHIRP Down Vision. (CHIRP doesn't work that well in salt water anyway.) I'm guessing that an Axiom Pro would service you extremely well! Read up on them both!
But whatever you decide on, make sure that the model has a Knob as that really simplifies things in a rolling sea. Axiom does not have a knob....Axiom Pro does! BTW, so does the eS128! I hope this doesn't confuse you.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
The es series can run Lighthouse 2 or 3, while Axion is 3 only. I agree that the HDMI out is a nice feature, but not a critical one for most applications. Also, the es processors are not as robust as the Axiom, so future software enhancements may not work as well as they could.
Further testing with my eS MFD confirms Pau Hana's statement about the Axiom's processor being more robust.(as in more computing power) My effort to display data from the flybridge via WiFi on my iPad, then to my smart TV, although I'm happy with the effort, have shown that, indeed, a more robust processor (Axiom Pro) would handle the transfer much faster!

Thanks, Pau Hana for providing the incentive to me to investigate the two systems much farther. I will still keep what I have, eS127 & eS128, ($$$$) but I am much wiser for this TF exchange of Information.
Attached Thumbnails
Bow camera.jpg  
Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I had an e97 (9") at the upper helm and nothing at the lower. Last winter I found a used e127 (12") used on this sites sister site (Cruisers Forum). I installed that at the upper, and moved the e97 to the lower. I found a brand new trunion bracket for the e97 and installed it at the lower suspended from the ceiling.

Both use Raynet, as does my radar. I installed a Raynet switch which allowed the two devices to share data and both access the radar. I didn't have any issues finding any of the parts to complete the project.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Correction. I think these were even older. I have C97 and C127. Not E series. But again, still not a problem. Fisheries Supplies is selling new e series still:

https://fishingequipmentsale.com/pro...d-Display.html
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Correction. I think these were even older. I have C97 and C127. Not E series. But again, still not a problem. Fisheries Supplies is selling new e series still:

https://fishingequipmentsale.com/pro...d-Display.html
Big difference between the Raymarine units with capital letters (ie., E120), and lowercase letters (c97, e127) and further the es series.

Of the legacy units, the es series are capable of running LH3 software. The e and c series are still very capable units, but cannot take advantage of the latest integrations (Clear Cruise Augmented camera systems, stereo and switching interfaces and more).