Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Jmreim's Avatar
 
City: Easton, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bright Way
Vessel Model: 2003 Mariner Orient Europa 34
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 55
Raymarine e7d - need larger display

I have a Raymarine e7 display in the lower helm (master) and an e7D on the bridge where we cruise 99% of the time. Id like something significantly larger on the bridge (12 or larger) but having difficulty figuring out what might be compatible - any suggestions?
__________________
Advertisement

Jmreim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:36 PM   #2
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,056
Your displays are considered legacy products by Raymarine, and support will continue to wane.

I recommend going to the Axion 9” series, depending on your dash real estate and sonar needs.
__________________

__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:12 AM   #3
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
I recommend going to the Axion 9” series, depending on your dash real estate and sonar needs.
I tend to agree with Pau Hana but I would compare the Lighthouse II vs Lighthouse III for those software items that you deem important to your kind of cruising. (eg I selected the eS127 &128 MFDs which have screen dimensions of 12.1 inches. They also have a HDMI OUT port that allows me to run anHDMI cable to the smart TV in the salon. I can view anything that the master MFD has on screen plus all 4 of my camera views. (Nice for the folks that prefer to hang out in the salon and not on the bridge.) The Axium is also a great MFD but runs on Lighthouse III which doesn't have some of the goodies that Lighthouse II has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MFD Set Up.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	95999  
__________________
Codger 1941.. Constant pursuit of the ultimate SoCal Cruising boat.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,056
The es series can run Lighthouse 2 or 3, while Axion is 3 only. I agree that the HDMI out is a nice feature, but not a critical one for most applications. Also, the es processors are not as robust as the Axiom, so future software enhancements may not work as well as they could.
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Solly's Avatar
 
City: Solomons MD.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 116
Good luck !! Updating or trying to find compatible electronics is one of the most frustrating aspects of boating. You'd think manufacturers would at least make newer models backwards compatible with older ones but no. They want you to spend $$$$ for all new every time.
If you want just a chartplotter it doesn't matter much. Get one with a built in antenna and good charts. But if you want depth and/or radar too fat chance of anything working together.
Raymarine does have a forum on their site where you can ask. I'd start there.
FWIW I went with an a97 chartplotter. Came with a transom mount transducer that I epoxied in the bilge to shoot thru. Works fine so far. All I want is depth under the keel but it seems to show bottom detail pretty well too.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Guru
 
fryedaze's Avatar
 
City: Solomons Island Md
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmreim View Post
I have a Raymarine e7 display in the lower helm (master) and an e7D on the bridge where we cruise 99% of the time. Id like something significantly larger on the bridge (12 or larger) but having difficulty figuring out what might be compatible - any suggestions?
Go talk to Midshore Electronics in Cambridge Md. They will walk you through compatabilty. They installed an e125 and e127 and AIS for us. Good folks
__________________
Dave Frye
Fryedaze, MC 42 (Monk 42') 1989 Overseas Co
http://mvfryedaze.blogspot.com/
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
Good luck !! Updating or trying to find compatible electronics is one of the most frustrating aspects of boating. You'd think manufacturers would at least make newer models backwards compatible with older ones but no. They want you to spend $$$$ for all new every time.
If you want just a chartplotter it doesn't matter much. Get one with a built in antenna and good charts. But if you want depth and/or radar too fat chance of anything working together.
Raymarine does have a forum on their site where you can ask. I'd start there.
FWIW I went with an a97 chartplotter. Came with a transom mount transducer that I epoxied in the bilge to shoot thru. Works fine so far. All I want is depth under the keel but it seems to show bottom detail pretty well too.
The e7 series is almost 10 years old, which is eons in the tech world. Backwards compatibility is indeed there, but can only go back so far- especially when the software platform demands more and more system resources.
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
The es series can run Lighthouse 2 or 3, while Axiom is 3 only. I agree that the HDMI out is a nice feature, but not a critical one for most applications. Also, the es processors are not as robust as the Axiom, so future software enhancements may not work as well as they could.
You've landed on one of the things that affected my decision, eS can run both Lighthouse II & III. Although I'm aware of the changes from eS to Axiom, Lighthouse II gives me more of what my cruising routine experiences. My buddy, a blow boater, loves his Axiom as it offers more goodies for the sailor.
As for the HDMI OUT feature (I believe both models have this but I'm not sure..) Not wanting to spend a lot more money on duplicating the system, a HDMI cable running directly from the MFD to the smart TV, allows the folks below to see whatever I'm looking at! Course, radar, depth, speed, etc., including a real time video of what's ahead! I just love this stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eS128.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	96015  
__________________
Codger 1941.. Constant pursuit of the ultimate SoCal Cruising boat.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
Guru
 
City: Boston
Country: US
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
The e7 series is almost 10 years old, which is eons in the tech world. Backwards compatibility is indeed there, but can only go back so far- especially when the software platform demands more and more system resources.
There is a lot to be said for staying a generation behind in electronics. They don't pay me enough to be their beta tester for buggy new features
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member
 
Jmreim's Avatar
 
City: Easton, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bright Way
Vessel Model: 2003 Mariner Orient Europa 34
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 55
Thx - I like your reasoning. So what is the model # of the device pictured?
Jmreim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #11
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,900
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmreim View Post
Thx - I like your reasoning. So what is the model # of the device pictured?
Since I'm the only one who posted a pic, I assume the question is directed at me.

The MFD in the photo is a Raymarine eS128. They also have an eS127 (less money) as it does not have CHIRP Down Vision. (CHIRP doesn't work that well in salt water anyway.) I'm guessing that an Axiom Pro would service you extremely well! Read up on them both!
But whatever you decide on, make sure that the model has a Knob as that really simplifies things in a rolling sea. Axiom does not have a knob....Axiom Pro does! BTW, so does the eS128! I hope this doesn't confuse you.
__________________

__________________
Codger 1941.. Constant pursuit of the ultimate SoCal Cruising boat.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×