Raymarine A70 D display

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Best Alternative
Vessel Make
36 Albin Aft Cabin
My A70D display screen was cleaned with an ammonia cleaner ! Guess what? Streaky and blotchy ! Still readable though .

Three Questions:
1) Occasionally one will show up on eBay for parts or repair. Can the screen be switched out ?

2) Can it be repaired ? either at home or by a professional ?

3) If I am forced to buy a new display unit will it have to be calibrated and set up again?

I like the unit and what it does for my boat and am not really interested in upgrading but might consider it if I am backed into a corner.

OH, by the way...it was me who done it. Probably should post this information on my previous thread "What is the most stupid thing you have done on your boat"

pete

LCD displays have expensive and somewhat fragile anit-reflective coatings on the surface. Harsh chemicals can damage them. I'm sure Raymarine could replace the screen, but it will be fairly costly. What some people used to do with the old E series Raymarine displays (which had very fragile coatings) is continue to scrub the display until all the coating was gone. You will get more reflections, but the blotchy and streaky appearance will be gone.

If all is lost anyway, you might also try a very fine polishing compound to lessen the streaks a bit.

Back
Top Bottom