Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #1

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Sounder
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Raw Water Wash down installation

Hi all

I have a 34' Mainship and want to install a raw water wash down pump with a deck fitting to connect a hose. Before i start cutting holes in the boat I thought I would see where the best location for the fitting to attach the hose would be. I have two locations that seem logical, up near the anchor or back aft. I just would like to hear your opinions (if any) on a preferred location. Thanks

Rob
Diverrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Mine is on the bow to rinse off the anchor chain.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
We have our pump tee'd to two areas, one at the anchor and one at the transom.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

My tug two points, bow red sign underneath the fiting and cokpit wall on the starboard side.

The pipes are pex material, think of a sufficiently powerful pump and a good pistol gives a sharp powerful spray to wash the clay etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	washdown.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	81261
NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:43 AM   #5
FF
Guru

To wash down a muddy chain takes volumes of water or lots of time.

IF I used chain I would install a 120V 1 1/2 or 2 inch pump and run it off the inverter and the 100+ Amp DC draw would be no hassle with the engine operating. It could be a good emergency high volume bilge pump if installed properly.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
Guru

Mine is on the cabin side forward next to the dock water inlet, electrical inlets, etc. With a 15 ft hose it easily reaches the bow for chain and anchor washdown. With a longer hose it can reach aft if needed.
I Teed off of my generator strainer for feeding.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
To wash down a muddy chain takes volumes of water or lots of time.

IF I used chain I would install a 120V 1 1/2 or 2 inch pump and run it off the inverter and the 100+ Amp DC draw would be no hassle with the engine operating. It could be a good emergency high volume bilge pump if installed properly.
A 2" pump ,driven from a 110v motor, run off of an inverter to wash mud off of the anchor chain? Wow! That would do it! I'm OK with a 12v jabsco washdown pump & a garden hose nozzle. It's better than the bucket & rope I've used in the past...
Old 09-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I have installed a few washdown systems in my time. I always installed them to terminate in the bow, usually in the bow locker, so I could connect a short hose and nozzle to wash down the anchor.

I used an older version of this fitting, which lets you connect or disconnect under pressure- https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-31911-.../dp/B000O8D244

And while I generally agree with FF about a very high volume AC driven pump being best for getting heavy mud and clay off, the installation, particularly a 2" thru hull fitting, will be difficult. The much smaller DC pumps made for this purpose do work, they just take longer. They can be teed into to a head raw water thruhull.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I installed a fitting underneath my anchor pulpit - so it is out of the way and very near where I need it. Of course you can always add a T to the line for another outlet. I also have a fresh water outlet at this location but I hated using precious fresh water to wash the anchor chain. With a raw water washdown I can use as much water as I need. BTW - for anchor washdown you can never have too much pressure or volume. Get the biggest pump you can. The pump I installed is 65PSI and 6GPM and its almost enough.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have two locations, one fwd, one aft.
The fwd is a pex pipe that I pushed through the deck, sealed with 5200, that then splits to a dedicated nozzle under the bowsprit, a copper 1/2" pipe squeezed to a flat spray nozzle directed just below the roller, so the chain, if rising to the roller, gets a good high pressure spray. The other fwd part goes to a garden hose for general use at the bow.
At the stern mine terminates inside the lazarette, at a valve with a garden hose 3/4" connector. 20 years in, I don't wish it was elsewhere.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I bought my boat with one RW washdown spigot under the FB ladder. When I installed a windlass, I T'd off the RW line to provide water to a recessed canister in the bow for my WD hose and nozzle. The can is recessed into the deck above the aft end of my anchor locker so it remains clean and free from the rode.

I find that I use both washdowns throughout the year for varying purposes.

A lighted helm switch controls the circuit and the light reminds me that it is ON.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
If you have the deck space (and access under the deck without intruding on the v-berth) then that HoseCoil system looks slick. Would be perfect for cats which usually have those features.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote