Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #21

If you can really get this boat for $75k, it might just be worth inspecting. I think this is a perfect size for a liveaboard couple. The price leads me to believe that this is not a turn-key boat. But as long as the cost to bring it up to your standards is not too much, it might just be a good deal. Like someone mentioned earlier, live on land while the boat is being worked on.

I envy your position in life, getting ready to retire and planning on living aboard and cruising. Good luck!

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...I'm running out of steam every time some stupid little thing like an outlet stops working or a reading lamp goes dead...
I feel exactly the same way! Glad to hear that I'm not the "Lone Ranger" in this regard. (Example: My boat is down for a week (starting today) while all the varnished bright work is stripped to the quick and 7 or 8 coats are re-applied. It seems that it never ends although I suppose I'm a lot more anal than most.

If this continues, I see myself going from the "Lone ranger" to the "Loan arranger." Yes, I hire all my maintenance out and can't fathom how anyone, retired or not, can do all this themselves. If the damn thing didn't look so great in her slip I'd sink her! (I guess Winter is coming on...anyone have a "light box" I could borrow for a few months?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3861.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	23483  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: somewhere
It is leaving the harbor as we speak. Looks like it may be getting surveyed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131007_120449.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	23484
Old 10-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
It is leaving the harbor as we speak. Looks like it may be getting surveyed.

Attachment 23484
BB, are you at Halifax Harbor?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

BB, are you at Halifax Harbor?
Tep
Old 10-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Big beefy boat. For many years this was my dream boat and I thought it would be a great live aboard.

Had one near me in our marina for a long time. I believe the owner said, it was powered by GM 8V71's. I finally got a tour and it suffered from the dreaded older boat syndrome, obsolete systems and electronics, wiring and plumbing that went nowhere left in place from previous upgrades.

They're also full of dark mahogany paneling, which is beautiful, but needs to be contrasted with light colored carpet and trim. Below deck, in the berth area, with little natural lighting it can be quite dreary. If you could afford to put the boat on the hard, strip and replace all the electronics, wiring, plumbing and redecorate, you would have one hell of a boat.

(PS. Living aboard isn't for everyone. Try living on your existing boat for four to six months through the winter / rainy season before you jump for the big ticket boat. It sounded great and I managed it for one year, two winters, and I couldn't get off quick enough!! I have way too many toys for such small quarters and the sacrifices in convenience you make, were too much.)
Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
...(PS. Living aboard isn't for everyone. Try living on your existing boat for four to six months through the winter / rainy season before you jump for the big ticket boat. It sounded great and I managed it for one year, two winters, and I couldn't get off quick enough!! I have way too many toys for such small quarters and the sacrifices in convenience you make, were too much.)
Good advice.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
Guru

We are in the process of moving onboard our existing boat.

And I have a laundry list of repairs and upgrades to be completed.

Getting the head squared away. Just installed s new shower sump pump. Got the holding tank working correctly, have the shower apart replacing a broken fitting (that I broke) and getting ready to replace the vacuflush system with an electric head.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #29

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Until you crawl the vessel yourself and spend the day going over all systems and looking in every access hole, you will be asking yourself, should I or should I put it out of my mind. If you like what you see, get a survey completed. The 53 was a great vessel. Look at Yachtworld site to learn asking prices and see all the different interiors. When the old double door full size ice boxes finally stopped running it could cost $5000. to get the old out and new in, but today they are replaced with the modular draw type and save all that extra money. Plus new units use less electric. All engines parts still can be purchased at fair price. Fibreglass fuel tanks are plus. Coating on window frames must be coated correctly to stop corrosion. You may need to paint both the hull and house every 8-10 years. Good luck.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #30
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
I'm a big fan of the older Hatts. Especially the 58 LRC's. I think they stopped production in the 70's, but still look great IMHO. I like the 671's because parts will be available forever and simple motors, althought noisy and messy.
One thing that I recently found out is that they are painted, Awlgrip I guess. Not sure if how that figures into maintenance, good or bad. Almost pulled the trigger on a 43 from Great lakes before I got the OA.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #31
FF
Guru

If the boat is useable/liveable , you may be able to continue , just as you are ,

The military >It flew in didnt it?< concept instead of big buck BESTITIS might work for you.

Sure in 10 years, tons will be ripped out and replaced , but its a hobby right?

Remember todays fancy electronics are dated in 3-6 weeks anyway.

>I spoze if we discovered enough oil it could happen.<

Not IF we HAVE discovered enough energy , its done ,we own it

we just need permission from our masters to use it.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #32
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Cheap horses can be pretty rough to ride...
True that. And even worse? When you have to be paid to ride one. Literally.
After one expertly threw me into a pile of rocks, I remembered her owners saying "really? Usually we have to pay people to ride her". It was good the first hour! But the horse won. Ran full gallop across a beautiful grass field- stopped short, held it's breath, turned left- saddle went under- I went flying right into the ONLY rocks around-why they were stacked there I have no clue. I guess for the horse's target practice? It looked at me and laughed.. Said "told ya I wanted to go back to the barn"...then I had to go brush the damn thing as it eyeballed me the whole time sneering. Same day Christopher Reed was paralyzed. I did NOT get back in the saddle for a good 10 years!

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #33
Guru

I'm wearing my super high python boots today!!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #34
Guru

It appears the Hat has sold. It's no longer in its spot.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Just noticed the thread title and have to ask you BB. When did we have to start rationalizing a boat purchase?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Just noticed the thread title and have to ask you BB. When did we have to start rationalizing a boat purchase?
Buying a boat and using rationale never blends...