Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: SiMBA
Vessel Model: 1973 38' Hatteras DC
Yanmar 6LP fuel filter

I have a Racor primary before the engine Yanmar filter. I believe the Yanmar filter is 2 micron and thinking of using a 2 micron in Racor. Comments?
Mystic Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
You can use the 2mic, but I don't see much benefit in doing so. 2mic will clog faster and the net cleanliness in the injection pump won't be much better. And the Bosch VE pump clone (ND??) is not super sensitive. I use 10mic or 30mic on those engines. If the 10 gets cloggy, go to a 30.

Changing a racor offshore in a hot engine room while dipping rails then repriming the engine, that's low on the fun scale.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #3

City: Subic Bay
The general input from corporate Yanmar is to use a 30 Micron filter in the Primary Filter as depending on certain models 20 or finer can lead to fuel starvation issues as the fuel is being sucked from your tanks by (depending on the model) a mechanical fuel lift pump, the interesting thing is that for conventional engine models (non-electronic) they show generally to use 10 micron as the engine mounted filter, the 2 micron is the recommended filter for there electronically controlled engines,

That said with if using the 2 micron it's recommended to use the 30 micron as the primary unit.

The bottom line is really check with your operation manual as it will be specific as to your requirements for that engine ONLY,

Cheers Steve
CaptSteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: SiMBA
Vessel Model: 1973 38' Hatteras DC
Yanmar fuel filter

Mainship Pilot 30 - Spoke with Yanmar (6LP-STP) and they said the engine fuel filter (secondary) is between 2 and 5 microns and they recommend either 30 or 10 micron primary filter. So, yesterday I changed the Racor and put in a 10 micron. It was little brown but not bad after 134 engine hours since April this year. My tech manual says to change fuel filter every 250 hours or 12 months, and drain the water from the small bowl at the bottom every 50 hours. They did not recommend a 2 micron primary filter.
Mystic Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Stick with factory recommended fuel spec's, the enemy of good is better...
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote