Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I did the salt in the head thing....but I have the old style macerators for my toilets a 2X a rock was mixed in with the solar salt and jammed it up.

The salt feed system is as simple as it can get if the salt injection pump lasts....if the new system isnt dead simple or doesn't last...I will make one that is.

Tossing salt in the toilet was quaint for the first year...but as a liveaboard that goes from salt to fresh to salt doing the ICW...the injection system made more sense.

And now after 2 sytems that I have reviewed with Raritan techs....I am becoming less impressed with every contact. Don't get me wrong...but do they TRULY understanding their systems down to the last nut and bolt and water stopper?......and what could be the problem?....pretty sad when I can ID and fix in 1 hour with a 5 cent part that cost them a bundle in manhours, shipping and new warranty part...gotta wonder.

Especially with a system that was installed for less than 6 months. Thankfully the customer service is good.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #22
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
i'm not real impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I did the salt in the head thing....but I have the old style macerators for my toilets a 2X a rock was mixed in with the solar salt and jammed it up.

The salt feed system is as simple as it can get if the salt injection pump lasts....if the new system isnt dead simple or doesn't last...I will make one that is.

Tossing salt in the toilet was quaint for the first year...but as a liveaboard that goes from salt to fresh to salt doing the ICW...the injection system made more sense.

And now after 2 sytems that I have reviewed with Raritan techs....I am becoming less impressed with every contact. Don't get me wrong...but do they TRULY understanding their systems down to the last nut and bolt and water stopper?......and what could be the problem?....pretty sad when I can ID and fix in 1 hour with a 5 cent part that cost them a bundle in manhours, shipping and new warranty part...gotta wonder.

Especially with a system that was installed for less than 6 months. Thankfully the customer service is good.
I'm not real impressed with the long term reliability of the system. I've had mixing motors freeze up from saltwater corrosion, and two tanks explode." they could be made out of something sturdier. They are eco friendly if they function properly. My neighbor practices the hand full of salt in the bowl routine, at least says he does. I don't see a bag of salt at the ready in his head compartment. One of my other neighbors buy's his from West Marine and pays for the warranty. He's replaces his about every three years under warranty.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Some people have them 10 years with minimal problems....your heads must be pretty powerful as I have flushed a couple times with the seacock closed and no problems.

If he isn't addind salt and has the system hooked up..I think he is destroying the most expensive part of the system, the expensive plates...one reason I added the salt tank is because it keeps upping the salinity until the electroscan is happy.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
On the salt feed issue, Rariitan might have re-designed it but at this point I'm not interested in their re-design.

The only issue with the original design was that they made a mistake in their choice in a valve, being the Hudson brand unit. Since the Hudson valve is a vertical activated unit (vs a lever arm and a float like a toilet valve), space constraints made it inpossible for them to just send out replacement valves, thus the re-design.

The approach I used using a vertical float switch that activates an external solenoid valve is far and away a more reliable system. Vertical float switches are available from a variety of manufacturers as are solenoid valves.

As far as Raritans culpability in this mess, yes they should have tested their system using the real pumps we typically use for water supplies on our boats. That was their mistake. If they would have tested the hudson valve in real world type systems they would never have released the product to market.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote