Old 04-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

City: Winchester
Rant on boats for sale

I'm new here and just wondering has anyone else noticed that people need to clean their boats before listing? I've been searching far and wide to buy a boat. I get turned off immediately when I see how filthy the pictures show the boat. I know some would say it shows the true condition of the boat but I would rather not see someone's dirt while looking at pictures.

While I'm at it, is it too much to ask for current pictures of the boat for sale? I'm not interested in how it looked in 2011.

Another thing is no one cares about the artwork or trinkets onboard. Also throw the beer cans away.

One more, brokers please be honest with your sellers. Some of these boats for sale are priced way over market. If brokers are just looking for listings and not sales then tell them whatever.

Wow I guess a lot of things bother me. Anyone else feel the same way.

Rob
Robfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Rob, next time you ask a broker to email you pictures make sure and tell him to have today's copy of the WSJ or whatever other periodical you may enjoy prominently displayed in at least 5 of the pictures.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I agree, peeps don't stow their personal belongings or dejunk the boat.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

My point is that if they can't keep it clean then what is the maintenance like on systems? Also household appliances don't belong on boats. There is a reason for marine appliances.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
My pet peeve is CRT TVs. They belong in the previous century.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
My pet peeve is CRT TVs. They belong in the previous century.
I would think that would fit perfectly with your boat...

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I would think that would fit perfectly with your boat...
Hey, don't rub it in. Us peon posters are not all rich.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfoster View Post
I'm new here and just wondering has anyone else noticed that people need to clean their boats before listing? I've been searching far and wide to buy a boat. I get turned off immediately when I see how filthy the pictures show the boat. I know some would say it shows the true condition of the boat but I would rather not see someone's dirt while looking at pictures.

While I'm at it, is it too much to ask for current pictures of the boat for sale? I'm not interested in how it looked in 2011.

Another thing is no one cares about the artwork or trinkets onboard. Also throw the beer cans away.

One more, brokers please be honest with your sellers. Some of these boats for sale are priced way over market. If brokers are just looking for listings and not sales then tell them whatever.

Rob
Interesting list... Pretty accurate too. There is at least one other thread here about the same subject and an EPIC thread at our sister site, Cruisers Forum, with TONS of pictures of dopey Yachtworld pics and Craigslist ads.

My big peeve to add to your list is cell phone pictures. Real cameras are not too expensive and make a world of difference.

Oh... and listing with only a few pictures... and none of the engine space.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #9

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Hey! You must be looking at the same boats I am

Nice thing about junk boats is it helps weed out the ones you really want to go see. . .

And the first thing I ask for from a broker is a couple engine room pics. If they don't or none is posted, pretty sure I know why

Hell, the engine "room" in my sailboat is the nicest thing it has going! It's going to be the first picture in the ad
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Pics attributed to "sister ship". Doesn`t the broker have access to the boat!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Pics with a fisheye or wide angle lens that attempt to make the rooms look bigger but really only distort them.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
These pics may not add much to the sales appeal of this "liveaboard".
Attached Thumbnails
$_57.JPG   $_57-1.JPG  
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #13
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
See here.

A 15 hour round trip from Jacksonville to Southport NC, followed by a failed offer in Fort Myers, 11 hour round trip, was enough to drive us to the bottle!

Search, Find, Survey And Sea Trial | AtAnchor.com
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Broker lies are to be expected...

Junk and dirt clean ouy/off pretty easily compared to systems overhauls.

I see right past it to the important stuff.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: AR

Apparently you haven't looked at houses for sale lately. Dirty dishes in the sink, unmade beds dirty clothes on the floor...nd you wouldn't believe the mold and dirt in the bathrooms. And you really expect their boats to look any better???
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #16

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Quote:

Rob
Last year we was looking for our "new" trawler, toke a year to looking for the dream fit in our budget.

You can't imagine 2/3 hours by day looking every where online and preparing tripe to saw some boats.

This is unbelievable what people try to sale at stupide price and when you see pictures you can't imagine own this mess.

Any way some brokers are really not correct, I made long tripe to visit boat and discover the broker never saw the boat and was only 15 minutes from his office.
I was mad when I discovered that, boat was in terrible bad condition !!!

But I need to tell I meet some very professional broker too and at the end the broker who solde our Trawler became a friend and spend 10 days with his wife onboard, it was a great pleasure for us.

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #17

City: San Pedro, CA
Vessel Name: Boatless
Vessel Model: Dreamer
Happened to me too.

Arrived at the boat with the broker, took a moment to look at the details, and began to see the dust-bunnies along the edges, and the killer was the lazerette... pulled up the hatch and it was so stuffed I could walk across the open hole.

I made an offer on the boat and one of the contingencies was that the buyer empty the vessel such that a surveyor could see all extremities of each hold.

My offer was not accepted.
CarlinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #18

I see the deplorable living conditions everyday. I'm in the water damage / mold remediation business. I understand everyone has different standards but, clean and tidy is a safety issue on a boat. I leaned early in my time serving in the US Navy that everything has a place and if it needs cleaning you better do it.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #19
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Rant on boats for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlinLA View Post
Happened to me too.

Arrived at the boat with the broker, took a moment to look at the details, and began to see the dust-bunnies along the edges

Damn. Really? Dust bullies ran you off? 😳

I try to keep my boat clean but there is always dust gathering somewhere.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:

Rob

you must be looking at boats that are at the low end of the typical asking price for the type of boat..
you get what you pay for.. especially in boats

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote