Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #101
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
If I told you a few (actually three) of the boats, with really bad conditions, I was lured into looking at by brokers over the years you'd either laugh till you split or you would think me pretty darn dumb to have been there at all. I did that laugh and also felt same about myself... as I've just mentioned.

Three decades back: I was so pissed at one broker for even showing me a 55' Chris that my wife had to calm me down before I let loose on the broker in public at a dock... in front of many. Then, after I low-toned a few crass words to him for even having us drive to see that boat... the J-Off had the gall to say what a deal I was missing - Geeeezzzz!! I asked him if he'd even ever been aboard that piece of garbage and he assured me he had. Either he is deaf, blind and has no olfactory capabilities - or - he's one of the most stupid people alive - or - he is a Great Big Liar - or - he is a greedy SOB who feels that as long as he keeps showing the boat to enough people that some poor fool will eventually bite and the sale will go through.

Anyway - In fairness to boat brokers: I've also met some really good and cool people who assisted me well. My experience has been that 75% of brokers are OK to deal with... it's the other 25% that should not be allowed to sell boats!

Happy Broker-Assist/Boat-Search Daze! - Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #102
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Except that he wasn't an Aussie, he was a Kiwi. And he wasn't really even a Kiwi. He was a mentally disturbed employee who was using his bosses computer and log in to post his own deluded thoughts, while pretending he was his boss.
You're correct. "Aussie" was first nomenclature that came to mind. Flightless he was... greatly needing mental assistance. He seemed not dumb, just very disturbed.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #103
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Whenever I open this thread to read the new posts I think back to my three hour drive (each way) to Titusville, FL. Long story, but in summary, the photos on the 'net showed a navy blue hull so pristine and shiny that you could see the reflection of the photographer in the hull. When I got there, there was an osprey nest on the flybridge and the plywood had long since fallen out of the empty salon windows. What an utter, utter waste of time. What I've never understood though is that drastically misrepresenting a boat, either verbally or with ancient photos, ultimately wastes the time of brokers too. What, do they think I'm not going to notice 50 lbs. of osprey poop on the upper helm? Brokers complain constantly about tire kickers, wasted time -- but I can't tell you how many boats we visited that bore no resemblance to the listings.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #104
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
So they say...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #105

So how long should you wait for a broker to respond to an email for more info on a boat they have listed? Going on over a week, waiting, waiting, waiting....
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #106
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
So how long should you wait for a broker to respond to an email for more info on a boat they have listed? Going on over a week, waiting, waiting, waiting....

Oddly, many brokers can't seem to figure out email. Better to call.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #107
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Oddly, many brokers can't seem to figure out email. Better to call.
OMG!

That is funny yet sad if true!
Old 04-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #108
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
You guys talk'in bout the engine room guy?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #109
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
You guys talk'in bout the engine room guy?
No Eric. Just some nut who proved to be nuttier than the normal nuts in OTDE. He seldom if ever posted to the open forum so I doubt you knew him.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #110
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I just used it for the first time...panned my office. It's a true panorama, not a wide angle "letterbox" shot...really cool! Try it, Con...just push the "pano" button and start shooting.

There's another really cool smartphone photo doodad...an app called MagLightPro When you click on it, it opens the camera and turns on the flashlight, floodlighting the subject where the light is low....which can come in VERY handy when you need to shoot something in a dark area...like the back side of an engine or locate a dropped item in a deep bilge.
Thanks Peggie...just tried the Pano and it looks better than I expected. Will have to try it when I'm back aboard.

Will also try the MagLightPro once aboard as well, although I find just using the flash works well.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #111
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Except that he wasn't an Aussie, he was a Kiwi. And he wasn't really even a Kiwi. He was a mentally disturbed employee who was using his bosses computer and log in to post his own deluded thoughts, while pretending he was his boss.
2 people involved? Some doubt about that imo.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #112
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
OK. My turn. How about a rant on buyers? How about me driving 5 hours each way for serious buyers who don't know what the pointy end is called? How about 40 emails and then they buy through another broker and say "I didn't know you wanted to sell me that boat"? How about sellers that you advertise their boat for a year, show it, survey it and than find out the seller doesn't have clear title and the buyer walks, etc. What about sellers who don't respond when you have a buyer? How about a seller you bring four buyers to in two weeks time and suddenly they "cancel" their six month contract and sell by owner to one of your prospects?

The point is everyone/anyone can behave poorly. Don't be that person and it will all work out in the long run.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #113
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
OK. My turn. How about a rant on buyers? How about me driving 5 hours each way for serious buyers who don't know what the pointy end is called? How about 40 emails and then they buy through another broker and say "I didn't know you wanted to sell me that boat"? How about sellers that you advertise their boat for a year, show it, survey it and than find out the seller doesn't have clear title and the buyer walks, etc. What about sellers who don't respond when you have a buyer? How about a seller you bring four buyers to in two weeks time and suddenly they "cancel" their six month contract and sell by owner to one of your prospects?

The point is everyone/anyone can behave poorly. Don't be that person and it will all work out in the long run.
Start your own.thread.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #114
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Start your own.thread.
Easy there....I think he deserves a little latitude after his profession has been beaten to death for 6 pages.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 AM   #115
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post

IMHO - Well put! Especially the ending!! Thanks! - Art
Old 04-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #116
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
10 Commandments for Yacht Brokers

Not a broker but here is my biased opinion of what principles a broker should follow:

Thou shalt visit every boat prior to listing.

Thou shalt not accept listings outside a reasonable commute unless there is a local “showing” affiliate.

Thou shalt not accept listings that are clearly overpriced and unsellable.

Thou shalt provide the seller with recommendations on cleaning up and other maintenance measures to make the boat more sellable.

Thou shalt insist seller takes reasonable efforts to make boat presentable.

Thou shalt fairly represent the condition of the boat.

Thou shalt take pictures that are focused, clear, have sufficient lighting, recent, include all pertinent areas including engine room and adequately represent the features and condition of the boat.

Thou shalt mark pictures to identify what they are showing.

Thou shalt promptly return emails and telephone calls of potential buyers.

Thou shalt recommend Craig’s List or eBay if a boat clearly belongs there. (Hope this doesn't include mt boat!)

(and the optional 11th Commandment, Thou shalt read TF.)
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #117
Art
Guru

Don - Nice list!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #118
Guru

City: gulf coast
if brokers only listed beautiful boats where would the fixer upper or low price buyer shop?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #119
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
if brokers only listed beautiful boats where would the fixer upper or low price buyer shop?
Same place they go now. Craig's List, eBay Boattrader and the outfits FF follows.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #120
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Craigs List, Boat Yards, Ebay, Word of Mouth... ... ...

Seems it is perfectly OK for Broker to offer boats needing much TLC... as long as the boat's obvious needs are clearly stated before a buyer travels to see the boat.

Not OK for broker to misrepresent the quality of a boat in ploy to lure an unsuspecting "newbie" boat buyer into a purchase.

See Donsan post # 116 - Good list of commandments for boat brokers to adhere.

Happy Boat-Find Daze! - Art