Old 04-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #81
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfoster View Post
It was a 42 Lagoon catamaran. I made the mistake of falling in love with the boat and didn't see how dirty it really was. Since your questioning my integrity I still have purchase contract laying around somewhere. It was in 2000 and only owned the boat for a short time.
You sell it at a loss, gain, or push? Maybe a fair trade??

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #82
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Thank you for restating my point in different terms.

And...I'll bet EVERYONE knows they are free to do what they wish.

Art is one of the nicest guys on the forum so be easy on him if you think he was trying to question your integrity.

Now me on the other hand......
Damn that's nice of you. Right back at cha! Recall that Aussie a-hole on OTDE, bout two or three years ago. We all simultaneously sliced and diced him into pretty fine pieces... went on for a few months, till the owners banned him from posting. He deserved it and we had fun! - Cheers! -Art

Old 04-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #83
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
You haven't been paying attention, Art. I've chimed in on two or three "headless" threads recently. Doesn't happen very often 'cuz I do try to remember the difference between having something to say and having to say something.
A fine (yet clear) distinction... indeed!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #84
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I hear you. That's the trouble with forums-- what we say in print doesn't come across correctly sometimes.

I have found this group to be extremely patient and willing to help most anyone with any problem. Lord knows I've asked and have had answered more than my share of stupid questions. The long-timers will poke fun sometimes and try to get your goat, but you gotta just roll with it.
Yup!!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #85
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Damn that's nice of you. Right back at cha! Recall that Aussie a-hole on OTDE, bout two or three years ago. We all simultaneously sliced and diced him into pretty fine pieces... went on for a few months, till the owners banned him from posting. He deserved it and we had fun! - Cheers! -Art
Wasn't that dude from Vanuatu?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #86
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfoster View Post
Had no intention of being combative. It was an opportunity to see how other people view the advertising of boats and the conditions. Art insinuated that I might be making up a tale. If I offended Art I'm sorry.
Naw - Worry not! I have thick skin. You must too; as I was just poking at your ribs.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #87
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post

Yea - That sick nut!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #88
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:

Yeah, he was quite a slice

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #89
Guru

City: Sydney
You can 100% bet if a boat is presented in a mess and dirty the maintenance history would also be appalling .
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #90
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
15 posts in and he's already picking fights. Smh.

We need a remedial section where new posters have to go for a period of time to learn how to post before they are released out into the general population. ��
Yea - Like a very gentle imitation of "hell-week", then, a "hell-night"... in a 1960's NY HS Club (i.e. a Gang)! Ahhh the memories of the Marquis, Centurions, Spartans, Olympians... I well recall it all!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #91

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Back to Rob's purpose of this thread though...

We've been looking hard at trying to determine what boat we want, what features, what is "must have", what is "nice to have", etc... All the due diligence that all of you went through when you finally purchased "The One".

My wife and I have driven all over the state of Florida looking at boats. We're working with a buyer's broker who - beyond being a professional - has become a friend. He's been very helpful in "steering" us in the right direction, but purposely giving us a wide enough vector to discover for ourselves what it is we're really looking for. He's filtered most of the junk out of the way, but has also said "I think you should take a look at this boat near you, because this is what I want you to learn to AVOID". It's been very helpful in that sense. There really is no substitute for experience, and our broker knows I'm not going to make an impulse purchase.

I've quickly learned that when an advertisement lists the "this one will go quickly", or "this is a turnkey boat", etc. that it's most likely a piece of junk - or at the minimum has some significant problems.

My point to this is that you need multiple sources of information when you're making a decision of this magnitude. My wife and I will be taking a huge gamble - basically selling it all to try this for a few years (we're both in our 60's) - so we only have one chance to get it right. I feel much more informed than I did a year ago. From my perspective, if the boat is a mess, there's a good chance the maintenance, care & feeding wasn't done. I want to see a clean boat; I want to see a tidy engine room, (are display screens clean in the corners?); I'll know if it's just "lipstick & rouge" by all these peripheral indicators (if EVERYTHING is in order, you can't fake it all).

When I was in boot camp, we had to fold our underwear and towels exactly 6". The Drill Instructors were real PITAs about it. Finally they explained it to us: "if we can't trust you to fold a simple pair of underwear to be 6" wide, how can we trust you with a multi-million dollar aircraft?" From that day on, I've always paid attention to details, and know how to look for it. That attitude is readily apparent when you look in a bilge, or in an anchor locker, or in the head.

Continuing to lurk here (and other places) as we learn from all of you.

EDIT: Geez, sorry for the long ramble!
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #92
Guru

Quote:
And moved there from New Zealand?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:18 AM   #93
Guru

City: AR
I just used it for the first time...panned my office. It's a true panorama, not a wide angle "letterbox" shot...really cool! Try it, Con...just push the "pano" button and start shooting.

There's another really cool smartphone photo doodad...an app called MagLightPro When you click on it, it opens the camera and turns on the flashlight, floodlighting the subject where the light is low....which can come in VERY handy when you need to shoot something in a dark area...like the back side of an engine or locate a dropped item in a deep bilge.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:18 AM   #94
Guru

Consider with a really spic and span boat is whether the detailers have been at work, and if what you see is really what you get. Like a used car cleaned up for sale. Then again, a careful good on maintenance owner might want his boat looking at its best for sale too.
The only thing you can take for sure from all that broker puffery is that there (probably) is a boat for sale.
A quick spray paint "blowover" of the engine(s), incl the hoses, is not a good sign.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 AM   #95
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
And moved there from New Zealand?
I think you're right, Bruce. Nightcap was reported as an expat from New Zealand.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #96
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
If the sellers about whom you complain were more cunning, they would behave as the proverbial car salesman and spray paint everything to cover up the rust, put a little sawdust in the tranny and be good to go. Personally, it is only when everything looks perfect that I start to worry about what I am missing.

On second thought . . . that didn't sound right.
No...actually Traveler, it made a lot of sense. As someone trying to sell a boat right now, it is a salutary lesson being on the receiving end of all the critical appraisals one hears. My philosophy has always been, with a vessel 40 odd years old, to prioritise features that relate to safety first, then function, and then, and only then, fancy finishes. My boat is clean where it counts, and everything works that should work, but I make no pretence about anyone being able to eat their breakfast off the engine room floor - why would you want to..?

However, as one's use of the vessel does diminish once you know 'it has to go", and especially if you live at a distance, keeping it pristine all the time is just not possible. So, to all those folk chiming in with their critical comments, please bear this in mind, and also remember that one day, you too might be in the position of a seller, rather than buyer, and believe me, your perspective will change quite a bit. Especially as you find everyone wants a fantastic bargain, but in excellent condition as well..! Ringing any bells..? Just sayin'...
So Traveller's comment re being more suspicious of a clearly recently 'tarted up' boat, as opposed to one with some honest wear and tear, (and dust, bird poop, etc), is quite apt...
Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #97
TF Site Team

Quote:
I think you're right, Bruce. Nightcap was reported as an expat from New Zealand.
We/they dis-own him absolutely...
Old 04-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #98
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
Back to Rob's purpose of this thread though...
When I was in boot camp, we had to fold our underwear and towels exactly 6". The Drill Instructors were real PITAs about it. Finally they explained it to us: "if we can't trust you to fold a simple pair of underwear to be 6" wide, how can we trust you with a multi-million dollar aircraft?" From that day on, I've always paid attention to details, and know how to look for it. That attitude is readily apparent when you look in a bilge, or in an anchor locker, or in the head.
Wow, the secret as to why you US types are so anal...
Old 04-20-2016, 06:47 AM   #99
FF
Guru

If the boat is a current liveaboard the usual massive clutter is hard to hide.

If the boat was a dock cottage it should be clean and empty.

Its more informative to look in the engine space and see a case of proper diesel oil and antifreez than worry about stuff on a table.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #100
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

Except that he wasn't an Aussie, he was a Kiwi. And he wasn't really even a Kiwi. He was a mentally disturbed employee who was using his bosses computer and log in to post his own deluded thoughts, while pretending he was his boss.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote