Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
you must be looking at boats that are at the low end of the typical asking price for the type of boat..
you get what you pay for.. especially in boats

HOLLYWOOD
Thats my thought as well.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #22
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfoster View Post
My point is that if they can't keep it clean then what is the maintenance like on systems? Also household appliances don't belong on boats. There is a reason for marine appliances.
I regard all of that as valuable information. Not dispositive, but certainly predictive. If the sellers about whom you complain were more cunning, they would behave as the proverbial car salesman and spray paint everything to cover up the rust, put a little sawdust in the tranny and be good to go. Personally, it is only when everything looks perfect that I start to worry about what I am missing.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: West Coast
On second thought . . . that didn't sound right.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
It`s a question of degree, but if a boat owner can`t be persuaded to keep the boat neat tidy and clean when it is on the market I doubt it gets much love anytime, and I suspect the non obvious areas will probably turn out similar. And if the owner doesn`t like his boat, it gets me wondering. Of course the owner could be ill or something, but generally I see it as a heads up.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #25
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
It is kind of ironic to me that so many boats, even pretty high priced ones look so bad when up for sale. The irony is that those same people, when they put their house up for sale, will have their broker pay someone to "stage" their house. Have a friend whose wife makes a good bit doing this. She goes in, moves all the furniture around, gets rid of the lousy looking stuff, brings in her own (she has a huge storage unit with all kinds of stuff), hangs art work, and then has a ready made fake bread thing for the oven that makes the house smell like fresh baked read! And people won't even bother to pick stuff up or vacuum their boat? And a broker won't tell them they really need to or maybe get someone to do it and charge for it? Hmmmm, maybe my friend's wife could have a new line of business!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:07 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
There is a reason for marine appliances.

And what would that be?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:58 AM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
When looking to purchase a boat...

Via picts I require to get by email attachments and phone discussion too... I can usually weed out the "schlubs" before going any further. But - I have made a few mistakes and been drawn into going to look at completely crap boats... left em quick as I came. Anyway, and I hate to say this, brokers are who mostly have led me into crapper boats. And, that's really too damn bad! Some brokers (not all) are too much of a commission hungry SOB.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #28
FF
Guru

BUT of course the most fun is the buyers with Zero knowledge of the market that want to offer 1/2 the boats for sale price ,,,

"because that's what is fair"..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:46 AM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
I see the deplorable living conditions everyday. I'm in the water damage / mold remediation business. I understand everyone has different standards but, clean and tidy is a safety issue on a boat. I leaned early in my time serving in the US Navy that everything has a place and if it needs cleaning you better do it.
The difference is out of sight out of mind, no time for the boat, no patience for the boat, lower standards, etc, etc.

Your dream isn't the same as all, and for many that boat is a past dream, even a shattered dream.

Serving in the USCG taught me all thst.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #30

City: Winchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
And what would that be?

Maine appliances are usually built for the environment and able to be secured properly. I doubt that a Walmart refer is built as well.
Robfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #31

City: Winchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
you must be looking at boats that are at the low end of the typical asking price for the type of boat..
you get what you pay for.. especially in boats

HOLLYWOOD

Unfortunately price is not a factor in the cleanliness of a boat. I've purchased a boat over 250 k and it was a dirty mess. Maybe you have a higher price range in mind.
Robfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #32
Art
Guru

Dirty or Clean

Boats = Forever!

Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.

Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.

Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.

Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!

By design... Tollycraft, Hatteras, Trumpy, Grand Banks, and many, many other boat brands will always be renowned names in pleasure boats.

THE END!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Stuffed animals and beanie babies in the pics is the one that I don't get .
Old 04-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #34
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
As you are all probably aware, MY biggest beef with boat listings is, as mentioned, lack of ER pictures. The state of the ER is a benchmark for the overall boat maintenance. Rattle can "tune ups" with over spray suggest other items have been covered up to hide deficiencies IMO.

Re: Post #30. Yes, some marine appliances have been built for a more severe environment but in many cases cost 2X to 5X more than a perfectly serviceable domestic appliance. Case in point...Our Home Despot reefer cost a fraction of a marine unit. I called the manufacturer and asked about locations on the unit to affix brackets and door clasps which were duly installed. It's secure and operates as desired.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:57 AM   #35
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Maine appliances are usually built for the environment and able to be secured properly. I doubt that a Walmart refer is built as well.
. Where did you get your marine tv , microwave, coffeemaker etc?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately price is not a factor in the cleanliness of a boat. I've purchased a boat over 250 k and it was a dirty mess. Maybe you have a higher price range in mind.
Why'd you purchase a "dirty mess" boat at 1/4 million dollars if it was such a dirty mess?? Either you saw through the clutter and decided it was a good buy... or you are telling tales just to keep your story on line. From your previous posts, I read into it that you greatly disliked messy/dirty boats... so do I. However, instead of purchasing - I usually walk, in search of a better cared for vessel. Feel I must ask; why didn't you do so in this case?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
As you are all probably aware, MY biggest beef with boat listings is, as mentioned, lack of ER pictures. The state of the ER is a benchmark for the overall boat maintenance. Rattle can "tune ups" with over spray suggest other items have been covered up to hide deficiencies IMO.

Re: Post #30. Yes, some marine appliances have been built for a more severe environment but in many cases cost 2X to 5X more than a perfectly serviceable domestic appliance. Case in point...Our Home Despot reefer cost a fraction of a marine unit. I called the manufacturer and asked about locations on the unit to affix brackets and door clasps which were duly installed. It's secure and operates as desired.
Oops I better get some engine room pics. Should I degrease or not .
Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #38
Guru

City: gulf coast
I would rather see the boat as is not after somebody did cosmetic stuff.
I remember seeing boats that looked clean. On closer inspection it had proably been sunk.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #39
Guru

City: Here
The majority of regular posters on this forum are the exception. There are some remarkably clean and well organized engine compartments routinely shown on this forum.
After crawling through thousands of boats I can tell you, you guys are a cut above.

The filth I crawl through on a daily basis is the norm ! Perhaps the ones that bother me most is the sparkling Corian counter tops, polished floors and lovely upholstery while the engine compartment, battery systems etc. are a disgusting mess with years of multiple owners playing with things they knew nothing about.

I have actually walked out on surveys because I could not get to any important stuff under debris and filth. I have come home and stripped on the dock because I did not want my clothes worn inside my boat. I have had to be deloused twice.

On the other hand I get to hang around boats all day then people give me money
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #40

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
My wife and I call these "yard sale" boats. It looks like they outfitted the decor that way. Not an indicator of mechanical condition, but if you are looking to get closer to your asking, take time to tidy the boat.

Also- when did an iPhone become the proper medium to take video and pictures? An HD camera doesn't cost much if selling boats is your JOB. Sheesh.
Islanddreamer is offline   Reply With Quote