Rank them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpgt3

Did a quick search didn't find too much.

What would you say are the top brands of trawler builders? Asking in terms of quality....fit and finish and off shore ability?

I'm sure there are hundreds of opinions. Is there any consensus with one over another? Norhavn, Northern, KK, GB, Ocean Alexander, Outer Reef.....
Thanks.

What search words did you try?

Welcome to the forum!

"What would you say are the top brands of trawler builders? Asking in terms of quality....fit and finish and off shore ability?"

Fit and finish is one thing; offshore ability is totally different. Think you would have to define each to even beginning to rank boats.

Ted

I would suggest just two groupings - Offshore and Coastal. Here is my 2 cents...

Top offshore - Nordhavn, KK, Selene.

Top coastal - Krogen Express, Great Harbour, DeFever, PDQ

Special mention under coastal - Ranger Tugs

And the above opinions are worth exactly that - 2 cents! LOL

David

The one with the least amount of compromises for you and your needs.

Did a quick search didn't find too much.

What would you say are the top brands of trawler builders? Asking in terms of quality....fit and finish and off shore ability?

I'm sure there are hundreds of opinions. Is there any consensus with one over another? Norhavn, Northern, KK, GB, Ocean Alexander, Outer Reef.....
Thanks.

Wifey B: What's the favorite color? Or anchor? You asked a totally wide open, unanswerable question cause we don't really know the question. Are you looking at a particular size, age, price?

Taking your list, I'd put Northern on the bottom since that's where they sometimes end up when launched. :lol:

I'd choose Fleming over all those but of the six you listed, I'd go:

1. Outer Reef
2. KK
3. Nordhavn
4. OA
5. GB
6. Northern

But I'm just shooting in the dark at an invisible target. :confused:

We all need some definitions and limits to rank boats with any sense of justice. Thus I first limit the boat to 55 ft, second I define offshore as capable of going to Bermuda, and ocean crossing as capable of crossing the Atlantic.

The Nordhavn line has a couple of boats which would be top ranked for ocean crossing. The Krogen line has a couple of boats which would be excellent for offshore.

The compromises in each line of boats favors the ocean crossing or offshore category and reduces its desirability in the other category.

Once you eliminate the size and price constraints there are other boats that would serve as great expedition yachts.

"fit and finish and off shore ability

I define offshore as capable of going to Bermuda, and ocean crossing as capable of crossing the Atlantic."

Look at European boats with offshore ability, Abeking and Rasmussen are probably on top , but they are priced so Nordys look like bargain boats.

There are few Atlantic crossing boats as they are expensive to build (+ 300%) and unless huge the compromises are no fun to live with

The space for fuel, water and stores eats space folks can live in.

Back
Top Bottom