Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

City: Bohemia
Ranger Tug vs. Nordic vs. American Tug

Hello there peeps! This is my first post. I currently have a 2012 R27 Ranger Tug and I love the boat. In 2 years I will retire and take off and do the loop. The R27 is just a little too tight for a trip like that. I am looking at 3 possibilities. The R29 Ranger, the 34 Nordic Tug and the 34 American Tug. Once you get over the sticker shock, it's a matter of preference.

I like the R29, it has better sleeping arrangements. The 34 Nordic is a real nice boat and so is the American Tug. The price is around the same, if you adjust the year. A 2012 R29, 2004 N34 and 2002 AT34 seem to be around 200K.

Any thoughts on boat features? Which boat is more comfortable? Which boat is more economical? Things like that.

Thanx

chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Ranger also has a R31 in their product line which is closer to a 34' American or Nordic Tug. You might prefer that over the R29.

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

Ranger 31

Yes, I know about the R31. I don't like the flybridge. Ranger is obsessed with being trailerable I agree, having a trailerable boat is attractive, but I believe after you go above 27 feet, forget about trailering. Just my opinion. Because it is trailerable, the flybridge is collapsible. I don't feel comfortable with that. It is a nice boat and they have made a few w/o the flybridge.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
The R29 is designed as a trailerable boat. It is closer in size and weight to a NT26 really. The AT34 and NT34 will have a lot more room. Go on board and you will immediately see. However, if speed is important, the R29 will be preferable.

All would likely be great loopers.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Hate to sidetrack...but the question begs...why so small for a loop?

If you are going to do it in small chunks fine...but if climbing aboard for a year or longer....any thoughts to bigger as storage becomes the issue more than anything?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Hate to sidetrack...but the question begs...why so small for a loop?

If you are going to do it in small chunks fine...but if climbing aboard for a year or longer....any thoughts to bigger as storage becomes the issue more than anything?
Yeah what he said.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #7

I know it's too small. That's why I am looking at the NT34 and the AT34. I think the R29 is MINIMUM size I would do the loop.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #8

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I had a 2000 model 42' Nordic Tug for 5 years. Absolutely highest quality of materials, installed component parts and excellent fit and finish. For example a Paragon Jr. fresh water pump and a whale shower sump were standard. The boat was perfect for my wife and I...and when another couple would join us it was big enough. I never got comfortable in the main cabin for lounging, napping or watching TV, however, because of the straight back of the built in settee. Built in settees are my pet peeve on most trawlers. They are not easy to use for anything other than eating.

I have a friend that debated between a 34' American Tug and the 37" Nordic. He chose the American because of its slightly wider beam and lack of a guest stateroom. He and his wife have done the loop and say that it is a great boat.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester613 View Post
I know it's too small. That's why I am looking at the NT34 and the AT34. I think the R29 is MINIMUM size I would do the loop.
Most days my 40 is too small...

Just things like snorkel gear, fishing gear, bicycles, dingy gear...etc...etc...

Granted...I don't like the everything strapped to the deck and rails...I sort of prefer to have storage in something but still. 3 seasons of clothes, bedding, towels, all enough so laundry isn't a weekly thing...spares, food, hobby stuff, entertainment arrays....it just seems like I am constantly moving stuff around to find more room.

Sure...I could do it on a 34...would I want to? Never...cruising on other people's boats and deliveries taught me that roughing it, not having the right clothes when you need them quick for weather or occasion no matter where you are, not having backups/spares, the stuff I like to fiddle with every day to keep me happy and tools....if I don't have it with me...I feel like it's only a trip...a moment in time and not "my life".

The other way is OK for many...just not me.

Loop in a smaller boat or not do it???? I'd probably do the smaller boat...but only if I had to.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

Seasalt007.....I see you're in PGI. I was just there. Anywhere around Fisherman's Village? How's the cruising down that way? That will be our final destination from Long Island, NY to PGI.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #11

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Yep, PGI which begins just over the bridge west of Fisherman's Village. In 2008 we attended a Nordic Tugs Rendezvous at Fisherman's Village where Claiborne Young was the featured speaker. Such a nice guy to go so early.

Anyway we liked Punta Gorda and decided to buy a house so we could keep the boat in the back yard. Now, we have that house for sale and are shopping for a condo up around Sarasota so we can just lock up and go.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I would not consider a 2012 Ranger 29 or the new Nordic Tug 34 because of the engine they use. Both use the Yanmar BY engine. This is a BMW derivative that has been plagued with poor marinization (no water cooled manifold or turbo), too high output for its displacement (260 hp out of 3 liters) and lack of dealer support. Rumors abound that Yanmar will drop the whole BY lineup.

If you go back to the mid 2000s, you can get a Cummins powered Nordic Tug 32 for about $200K as you note. In the late 2000s they went with Volvos- better than the Yanmar BY but a far cry from the Cummins.

The American Tug 34 has always been Cummins powered: mechanical up until the late 2000s and the common rail QSB after that.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Search here for a member I believe named Great Laker, boat name "unsalted". He just looped an AT 34 and loved it, they have a good blog too.

Wife and I have compared the same basic 3 boats you posted about and the AT34 rose to the top for us. I really like the Cummins power.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Dania Beach
Vessel Name: Cool Beans
Vessel Model: 36 Kadey Krogen Manatee
Everyone's needs and expectations are different when it comes to selecting a trawler. We looked at the "tugs" and liked them a lot. They just didn't have room for our bikes, tandem kayak, dive equipment, fishing gear and such. Also we wanted a back porch large enough to entertain or stage our diving, fishing or kayaking. We also wanted space topside for a dinghy large enough yo haul our bikes or use for diving. We selected the 36 Kadey Krogen Manatee. She has tons of storage, walk around queen bed and room for all our toy plus an 11.5 ft RIB. Best of luck with your search!
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #15

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Having done the Great Loop, I thought I would chime in.

The Great Loop can be an expensive trip, and in general many costs are function of boat length. This includes purchase price, insurance, slip fees, fuel, and maintenance (if two engines). Also, there are times when a smaller, low-draft boat is an advantage, such as in shallow areas of the river system, isolated anchorages, older marinas with narrow docs and fairways, docking in wind and current, transiting locks, and when going under bridges without need to request an opening.

We put down our list of wants/needs and bought into the idea that we should buy the smallest and highest quality boat that we could afford that met our needs. We looked at both the NT 32 (now called NT 34) and AT 34 (now called AT 365) and while both are of high quality, the AT 34 won every every comparison. My wife refused to even consider the NT, due to lack of walk around queen, wet bath shower, very small refrigerator, no oven, etc.

These are two similar in style, but very different boats. The AT has a great length and beam which translates into a more stable hull and much greater interior room and storage. There is a greater range (more fuel), higher cruising speeds, more fresh water, more black water, more engine room, more battery capacity, more storage, etc., etc.

Take a tour of each and you will appreciate these and many more significant differences. I am not selling, and don't know your needs. Just trying to answer you request for comparison.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #16
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBeans View Post
Everyone's needs and expectations are different when it comes to selecting a trawler.
You bet!

We spent about $140,000.00 less, got a 1980's era 30' Sundowner Tug, and it feels like a condo luxury spa compared to traveling by sea kayak
Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Great Laker,
I see the NT and the AT as mostly different as to their size. The AT is just bigger. A foot of beam will have a much greater effect on boat size than a foot of length.
I don't view the NT as inferior .... it's just smaller.
Every AT that I've seen underway is throwing a really big wake and it takes a big boat w lots of power to make a big wake. So probably not too efficient but room for stuff? Sure. Stable yup. And all or most of the other good things that come w size.

You no doubt know much more about both boats but from my point of view I see two boats different mostly in size. The AT being considerably bigger is probably considerably more expensive. It should be. The NT is my favorite but either boat as a gift I may easily choose the AT. Did I say that?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #18

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Great Laker,
I don't view the NT as inferior .... it's just smaller.
I don't view the NT as inferior either, and am sorry you got that impression. As I said, both boats are of high quality.

We are talking here about comparing two boats in the context of cruising the Great Loop. We cruised for 305 days and covered 6,850 miles of diverse waterways under a variety of conditions from Ottawa, ON, in the north, to St. Louis, MO, in the mid west, to Key West in the south and New York in the east. Our opinion, after looking at both boats, is that the AT 34 is far better suited to this kind of cruising than the NT 32.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yup ... I must have let the loop part slip out of the box. Sorry. They make the ATs right where we usually moor and will be in a week or two. Perhaps they give tours?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
I don't view the NT as inferior either, and am sorry you got that impression. .
Of course you inferred the NT as inferior. But, you are likely correct. NT has not had smooth sailing with a combination of financial woes, management turnover, a few too many years of static design and a long period of low sales. About the engines though, you can order an NT with a Cummins if you desire.

But, both have a perfect resume for the loop. For that matter though so do about 20 other vessel makes and types.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote