Ranger Tug vs. Nordic vs. American Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chester613

Hello there peeps! This is my first post. I currently have a 2012 R27 Ranger Tug and I love the boat. In 2 years I will retire and take off and do the loop. The R27 is just a little too tight for a trip like that. I am looking at 3 possibilities. The R29 Ranger, the 34 Nordic Tug and the 34 American Tug. Once you get over the sticker shock, it's a matter of preference.

I like the R29, it has better sleeping arrangements. The 34 Nordic is a real nice boat and so is the American Tug. The price is around the same, if you adjust the year. A 2012 R29, 2004 N34 and 2002 AT34 seem to be around 200K.

Any thoughts on boat features? Which boat is more comfortable? Which boat is more economical? Things like that.

Thanx

Ranger also has a R31 in their product line which is closer to a 34' American or Nordic Tug. You might prefer that over the R29.

Ranger 31

Yes, I know about the R31. I don't like the flybridge. Ranger is obsessed with being trailerable I agree, having a trailerable boat is attractive, but I believe after you go above 27 feet, forget about trailering. Just my opinion. Because it is trailerable, the flybridge is collapsible. I don't feel comfortable with that. It is a nice boat and they have made a few w/o the flybridge.

The R29 is designed as a trailerable boat. It is closer in size and weight to a NT26 really. The AT34 and NT34 will have a lot more room. Go on board and you will immediately see. However, if speed is important, the R29 will be preferable.

All would likely be great loopers.

Hate to sidetrack...but the question begs...why so small for a loop?

If you are going to do it in small chunks fine...but if climbing aboard for a year or longer....any thoughts to bigger as storage becomes the issue more than anything?

Hate to sidetrack...but the question begs...why so small for a loop?

If you are going to do it in small chunks fine...but if climbing aboard for a year or longer....any thoughts to bigger as storage becomes the issue more than anything?

Yeah what he said.

I know it's too small. That's why I am looking at the NT34 and the AT34. I think the R29 is MINIMUM size I would do the loop.

I had a 2000 model 42' Nordic Tug for 5 years. Absolutely highest quality of materials, installed component parts and excellent fit and finish. For example a Paragon Jr. fresh water pump and a whale shower sump were standard. The boat was perfect for my wife and I...and when another couple would join us it was big enough. I never got comfortable in the main cabin for lounging, napping or watching TV, however, because of the straight back of the built in settee. Built in settees are my pet peeve on most trawlers. They are not easy to use for anything other than eating.

I have a friend that debated between a 34' American Tug and the 37" Nordic. He chose the American because of its slightly wider beam and lack of a guest stateroom. He and his wife have done the loop and say that it is a great boat.

I know it's too small. That's why I am looking at the NT34 and the AT34. I think the R29 is MINIMUM size I would do the loop.

Most days my 40 is too small...

Just things like snorkel gear, fishing gear, bicycles, dingy gear...etc...etc...

Granted...I don't like the everything strapped to the deck and rails...I sort of prefer to have storage in something but still. 3 seasons of clothes, bedding, towels, all enough so laundry isn't a weekly thing...spares, food, hobby stuff, entertainment arrays....it just seems like I am constantly moving stuff around to find more room.

Sure...I could do it on a 34...would I want to? Never...cruising on other people's boats and deliveries taught me that roughing it, not having the right clothes when you need them quick for weather or occasion no matter where you are, not having backups/spares, the stuff I like to fiddle with every day to keep me happy and tools....if I don't have it with me...I feel like it's only a trip...a moment in time and not "my life".

The other way is OK for many...just not me.

Loop in a smaller boat or not do it???? I'd probably do the smaller boat...but only if I had to.

Seasalt007.....I see you're in PGI. I was just there. Anywhere around Fisherman's Village? How's the cruising down that way? That will be our final destination from Long Island, NY to PGI.

Yep, PGI which begins just over the bridge west of Fisherman's Village. In 2008 we attended a Nordic Tugs Rendezvous at Fisherman's Village where Claiborne Young was the featured speaker. Such a nice guy to go so early.

Anyway we liked Punta Gorda and decided to buy a house so we could keep the boat in the back yard. Now, we have that house for sale and are shopping for a condo up around Sarasota so we can just lock up and go.

I would not consider a 2012 Ranger 29 or the new Nordic Tug 34 because of the engine they use. Both use the Yanmar BY engine. This is a BMW derivative that has been plagued with poor marinization (no water cooled manifold or turbo), too high output for its displacement (260 hp out of 3 liters) and lack of dealer support. Rumors abound that Yanmar will drop the whole BY lineup.

If you go back to the mid 2000s, you can get a Cummins powered Nordic Tug 32 for about $200K as you note. In the late 2000s they went with Volvos- better than the Yanmar BY but a far cry from the Cummins.

The American Tug 34 has always been Cummins powered: mechanical up until the late 2000s and the common rail QSB after that.

David

Search here for a member I believe named Great Laker, boat name "unsalted". He just looped an AT 34 and loved it, they have a good blog too.

Wife and I have compared the same basic 3 boats you posted about and the AT34 rose to the top for us. I really like the Cummins power.

Everyone's needs and expectations are different when it comes to selecting a trawler. We looked at the "tugs" and liked them a lot. They just didn't have room for our bikes, tandem kayak, dive equipment, fishing gear and such. Also we wanted a back porch large enough to entertain or stage our diving, fishing or kayaking. We also wanted space topside for a dinghy large enough yo haul our bikes or use for diving. We selected the 36 Kadey Krogen Manatee. She has tons of storage, walk around queen bed and room for all our toy plus an 11.5 ft RIB. Best of luck with your search!

Having done the Great Loop, I thought I would chime in.

The Great Loop can be an expensive trip, and in general many costs are function of boat length. This includes purchase price, insurance, slip fees, fuel, and maintenance (if two engines). Also, there are times when a smaller, low-draft boat is an advantage, such as in shallow areas of the river system, isolated anchorages, older marinas with narrow docs and fairways, docking in wind and current, transiting locks, and when going under bridges without need to request an opening.

We put down our list of wants/needs and bought into the idea that we should buy the smallest and highest quality boat that we could afford that met our needs. We looked at both the NT 32 (now called NT 34) and AT 34 (now called AT 365) and while both are of high quality, the AT 34 won every every comparison. My wife refused to even consider the NT, due to lack of walk around queen, wet bath shower, very small refrigerator, no oven, etc.

These are two similar in style, but very different boats. The AT has a great length and beam which translates into a more stable hull and much greater interior room and storage. There is a greater range (more fuel), higher cruising speeds, more fresh water, more black water, more engine room, more battery capacity, more storage, etc., etc.

Take a tour of each and you will appreciate these and many more significant differences. I am not selling, and don't know your needs. Just trying to answer you request for comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone's needs and expectations are different when it comes to selecting a trawler.

You bet!

We spent about $140,000.00 less, got a 1980's era 30' Sundowner Tug, and it feels like a condo luxury spa compared to traveling by sea kayak :thumb:

Great Laker,
I see the NT and the AT as mostly different as to their size. The AT is just bigger. A foot of beam will have a much greater effect on boat size than a foot of length.
I don't view the NT as inferior .... it's just smaller.
Every AT that I've seen underway is throwing a really big wake and it takes a big boat w lots of power to make a big wake. So probably not too efficient but room for stuff? Sure. Stable yup. And all or most of the other good things that come w size.

You no doubt know much more about both boats but from my point of view I see two boats different mostly in size. The AT being considerably bigger is probably considerably more expensive. It should be. The NT is my favorite but either boat as a gift I may easily choose the AT. :ermm: Did I say that?

Great Laker,
I don't view the NT as inferior .... it's just smaller.

I don't view the NT as inferior either, and am sorry you got that impression. As I said, both boats are of high quality.

We are talking here about comparing two boats in the context of cruising the Great Loop. We cruised for 305 days and covered 6,850 miles of diverse waterways under a variety of conditions from Ottawa, ON, in the north, to St. Louis, MO, in the mid west, to Key West in the south and New York in the east. Our opinion, after looking at both boats, is that the AT 34 is far better suited to this kind of cruising than the NT 32.

Yup ... I must have let the loop part slip out of the box. Sorry. They make the ATs right where we usually moor and will be in a week or two. Perhaps they give tours?

I don't view the NT as inferior either, and am sorry you got that impression. .

Of course you inferred the NT as inferior. But, you are likely correct. NT has not had smooth sailing with a combination of financial woes, management turnover, a few too many years of static design and a long period of low sales. About the engines though, you can order an NT with a Cummins if you desire.

But, both have a perfect resume for the loop. For that matter though so do about 20 other vessel makes and types.

We aren't loopers but we spent a lot of time weighing the pros and cons between a Ranger 29 and a Nordic 32. The American tug was outside our price range though they are beautiful boats. One thing that I've heard/read from experienced boaters is to buy the smallest boat that fits your needs. It makes sense to me for docking, maintenance, and ease of handling - relative newbie that I am.

We chose the Ranger 29 for a couple of reasons. First since its a ten foot beam you don't need a pilot car and it can be moved by a 1 ton truck. I'm not planning on trailering it but it will cost us less to have it done - which we will do. Second the older Nordics that we could afford didn't have a queen bed. We love the bed in the Ranger and use the boat as our "Motel 6" on the bay. Lastly the boat we got came with all the bells and whistles that we could ever want.

The Ranger Tug Nuts group is very active, as you probably already know, and a great resource.

So far we have been happy with our choice. Have a great time with your research. I look forward to hearing what you end up with.

Jeff

> Built in settees are my pet peeve on most trawlers. They are not easy to use for anything other than eating.<

That is why the SAWZALL was invented.

We aren't loopers but we spent a lot of time weighing the pros and cons between a Ranger 29 and a Nordic 32. The American tug was outside our price range though they are beautiful boats. One thing that I've heard/read from experienced boaters is to buy the smallest boat that fits your needs. It makes sense to me for docking, maintenance, and ease of handling - relative newbie that I am.

We chose the Ranger 29 for a couple of reasons. First since its a ten foot beam you don't need a pilot car and it can be moved by a 1 ton truck. I'm not planning on trailering it but it will cost us less to have it done - which we will do. Second the older Nordics that we could afford didn't have a queen bed. We love the bed in the Ranger and use the boat as our "Motel 6" on the bay. Lastly the boat we got came with all the bells and whistles that we could ever want.

The Ranger Tug Nuts group is very active, as you probably already know, and a great resource.

So far we have been happy with our choice. Have a great time with your research. I look forward to hearing what you end up with.

Jeff

I have heard this quote often..yet usually never from liveaboards/long term/distance cruisers. I personally never give it...I concentrate more on issues that I have repeatedy heard as "well, my next boat will have"....for living aboard or cruising till you get to a certain range..it's usually never smaller.

While the logic isn't faulty...boats that you live on or all but live on are no different from houses of much else for that matter.

A few feet longer/wider can be be all the things people have mentioned...including TOO small for what you want.

For me it would be interesting to see how many have done the loop more than once used the same boat. If so what was the boat like for the first one? Would some change boats for the second one? Would they go up/down in size and why?

...including TOO small for what you want.

Seldom does a new member show up here with both previous brand specific experience and a well thought out cogent short list. It sounds to me that he knows exactly what he wants. It does not sound like a roomaran with an oxygen tent and root cellar. :)

Smallest boat that fits YOUR needs is not the same for everybody due to the word I bold typed here.

Seldom does a new member show up here with both previous brand specific experience and a well thought out cogent short list. It sounds to me that he knows exactly what he wants. It does not sound like a roomaran with an oxygen tent and root cellar. :)

Smallest boat that fits YOUR needs is not the same for everybody due to the word I bold typed here.

Just reminding people who haven't done it already that their dreams need not cloud the realities of long term time aboard their new home....

Never let "perfection" be the enemy of "good enough".

No matter what you choose you will eventually find it to be a compromise in some way.

Most of the people that I have known in this situation considered buying an AT 34 or an NT 37, not the NT 32. Of course all now have "stretchitis", which means they count the swim platform in the LOA.

I have been aboard all of them and personally could not comfortably do the loop in a 32.

Last edited:
I have heard this quote often..yet usually never from liveaboards/long term/distance cruisers. I personally never give it...I concentrate more on issues that I have repeatedy heard as "well, my next boat will have"....for living aboard or cruising till you get to a certain range..it's usually never smaller.

While the logic isn't faulty...boats that you live on or all but live on are no different from houses of much else for that matter.

A few feet longer/wider can be be all the things people have mentioned...including TOO small for what you want.

I agree completely!

It's one thing to spend a week on a smaller boat, another a month, another a year or a lifetime.

In my opinion, having had ocean cruisers from 24-47' size is comfort. Elbow rom. Storage room. Room to relax.

It baffles me why people dont buy the most boat they can own and maintain at a certain budget price point.

Most of the people that I have known in this situation considered buying an AT 34 or an NT 37, not the NT 32. Of course all now have "stretchits", which means they count the swim platform in the LOA.

I have been aboard all of them and personally could not comfortably do the loop in a 32.

Yep, the 34 (365) American Tug is closer in size to the 37 (39) Nordic Tug. In fact, the AT is beamier than the NT. Tankage between the two is very similar. The salon and pilothouse is similar too. The NT has a second small stateroom, the AT doesn't but it has a better head. Both the 37 NT and 34 AT have much better engine access than the other boats being discussed. And much longer range. Good ~2000 vintage NT 37s can be had for low 200k's.

The 32 (34) Nordic is much smaller than the 34 (365) AT. Almost two feet narrower, several thousand pounds lighter. Much less tankage and room. Step down into the salon.

The 29 Ranger is smaller still. It's tough for two people to pass each other in the salon. Engine access is difficult since the engine straddles the aft bulkhead. The shower and head are one and the same. A stall shower is really nice when living on the boat for long periods. The AT weighs twice what the 29 Ranger weighs.

If you'll be cruising at displacement speeds waterline length is your friend. I cruised to Alaska last summer with a 29 Ranger. At 8 knots I burned just over half the fuel that the 29 Ranger burned. But their high speed cruise is 16 knots instead of 12 in my Nordic. And the Rangers have great cockpits for entertaining when the weather is nice.

It baffles me why people don't buy the most boat they can own and maintain at a certain budget price point.

I believe the thinking is that "the most boat for a given price" may be larger, but is likely to be older. This makes it harder and riskier to determine condition at purchase, and may introduce higher maintenance costs just due to age and usage.

My point was, given the same quality and condition, larger boats will cost more to operate, may be harder to handle, and may limit access to some areas when cruising the Great Loop. Why buy into that if a smaller boat meets your needs?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom