Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2019, 11:15 PM   #1
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,433
Rangefinder suggestions

I have seen several mentions of rangefinders. ASD received one from his fish catching wife and said he liked it. Others have also mentioned them. I think at times it would be very useful.

Yes, I know that when under way I can use a watch, sighting compass and chart to determine distance from shore. I often will use a radar to determine distance from other boats. However, a rangefinder might be quicker and easier.

So any models that others have found to be good or features that you have found important?
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
Guru
 
Rebel112r's Avatar
 
City: Birch bay wa
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 560
Dave. Most on market are in the 500 to 1000 yard range. So I would think it would be of limited use underway. I have one, a Nikon and use it all the time for getting distances from rocks and other boats when anchoring. My eye and brain usually think things are closer than they actually are. I got mine when GI Joes was going out of business, so got a very good deal. Buy one, you will like it. Dan
__________________

Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
w8n4sun's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 155
Ive really liked having this for anchoring, nice having a baseline distance measurement of land and other boats.


https://www.google.com/search?q=Niko...EW&pie=plaji-i
w8n4sun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:30 AM   #4
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,811
So when you do get one, you made get the option of distance in "Feet" or "yards" and Meters. She got me yards/meter. I would have preferred "feet."
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,819
I trust my depth sounder and rangefinder more than the laptop and navigation app while anchoring. Can't remember what kind it is...will check when next at boat.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
Guru
 
LaBomba's Avatar
 
City: Beaverton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,159
My binoculars that I bought at WM have a range finder built in. Can’t say that I have used it much but at least it is one less thing on bridge having two in one.
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Guru
 
Rebel112r's Avatar
 
City: Birch bay wa
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 560
Hey ASD, do all those Ambers make it hard to multiply by 3?
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ka_sea_ta's Avatar
 
City: Puget Sound
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have seen several mentions of rangefinders. ASD received one from his fish catching wife and said he liked it. Others have also mentioned them. I think at times it would be very useful.

Yes, I know that when under way I can use a watch, sighting compass and chart to determine distance from shore. I often will use a radar to determine distance from other boats. However, a rangefinder might be quicker and easier.

So any models that others have found to be good or features that you have found important?

I just use the range finder that I use when I'm golfing it works fine to about 600 yards or so.... Here is a link to a rangefinder several of guys down here use https://www.mggolf.com/gps-rangefinders/#MG600 They seem to work well...
Ka_sea_ta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
DDW
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 925
Range finders that can go a mile or two are very expensive. I've got the Nikon golf version, <$200 and works well (in yards - I'd have preferred cubits or cables ). It's limited to about 600 yards. Some of them have odd sized batteries (the Nikon is a little odd but you can find them). It'd be nice to find one that works well at night for those 2 AM drags. The Nikon works at night, but the LCD display in the viewfinder is not lit so difficult to read. But since most are made for golf, night lighting doesn't seem a priority.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,226
Having radar on board, we've never seen the need. Fast and very accurate.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Hey ASD, do all those Ambers make it hard to multiply by 3?
It sure does! I have to get a calculator, then sliding beads and a long yellow piece of paper with a very sharp pencil.

Then I ask the Admiral!!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #12
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,433
Great info so far guys. Thanks.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member
 
City: Green Cove Springs
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 51
I have a SIG hunting range finder and it is great for anchoring and checking rate of closure without spooling up the radar. Cheaper than a new waveguide too!
PaulGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #14
Guru
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Having radar on board, we've never seen the need. Fast and very accurate.


I feel a little silly, but it never even occurred to me to even use this tool for anchor placement purposes.
ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #15
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Having radar on board, we've never seen the need. Fast and very accurate.
Same here; great for distance to shore and other boats.

The one use that a rangefinder could be for is determining the distance from marine life, particularly in the age of 200-400 metre boundaries.
__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Same here; great for distance to shore and other boats.

The one use that a rangefinder could be for is determining the distance from marine life, particularly in the age of 200-400 metre boundaries.

That is an excellent point as I doubt I'd get a good radar return from an orca or humpback.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
City: Santa Fe, NM
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 63
Hi Dave. We bought a Wosports W600 before we set out on a month long cruise to Desolation Sound this summer. I don't see it on Amazon just now, but it was a pretty inexpensive unit -- somewhere between $100 and $150.

It earned its keep MANY times over while we were anchoring. Now that we have this tool, it's an indispensable part of our kit. We didn't use it underway at all, nor did we buy it intending to. It was purely for anchoring and measuring distances from the boat to other boats, shore, and rocks. I guess radar could do the same thing, but you'd need to be standing at your radar display to use it.

Go for this piece of equipment. If you anchor out alot, you will LOVE it!
Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #18
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawini View Post
Hi Dave. We bought a Wosports W600 before we set out on a month long cruise to Desolation Sound this summer. I don't see it on Amazon just now, but it was a pretty inexpensive unit -- somewhere between $100 and $150.

It earned its keep MANY times over while we were anchoring. Now that we have this tool, it's an indispensable part of our kit. We didn't use it underway at all, nor did we buy it intending to. It was purely for anchoring and measuring distances from the boat to other boats, shore, and rocks. I guess radar could do the same thing, but you'd need to be standing at your radar display to use it.

Go for this piece of equipment. If you anchor out alot, you will LOVE it!
Where are you standing when using your rangefinder ? A long way away from your radar?

As for the "spooling up" issue, why would it be off entering an anchorage?
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member
 
City: Santa Fe, NM
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 63
I can stand wherever I please on my boat when I want to use the rangefinder, and that's the beauty of it. We found it particularly useful for stern tying in Desolation Sound where the distance between the stern and the shore needs to be monitored continuously as winds and tides change. If I'm stern tied somewhere and that rock in back of me looks closer than I want it to be while I'm standing in the cockpit, I pull out the rangefinder and can get the distance accurately and immediately. No need to go to the PH, start up the electronics, etc. I point and I press a button and I have my distance.

I used radar for many years to do range finding. Sure, it can be done. And, if it works for you, you should definitely continue to function that way.

I think that Dave is saying that he has heard that a rangefinder is useful, and I am confirming that fact. For around $100 Dave can get a piece of equipment that can be used by ANYBODY on his boat (including everyone on his crew who might not know how to use radar) to get an accurate and immediate distance from ANYWHERE on the boat without starting electronics. It sounds like it's not for you Caltex, and that's OK too.
Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #20
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawini View Post
I think that Dave is saying that he has heard that a rangefinder is useful, and I am confirming that fact. For around $100 Dave can get a piece of equipment that can be used by ANYBODY on his boat (including everyone on his crew who might not know how to use radar) to get an accurate and immediate distance from ANYWHERE on the boat without starting electronics.
Damn good point! (Geez, another gadget i have to have!)
__________________

__________________
Codger 1941.. Constant pursuit of the ultimate SoCal Cruising boat.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×