Old 11-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: RainX on Lower Helm glass?

Yep,
But if you're fogged up and tired of wiping every 5 min it will work for the day I don't dilute it I just spread it evenly over the glass. I use a paper towel, folded up*
squirt it on the towel and smear it around.**Easy too clean off . After all it is soap,

SD*

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #22

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I use rain-x and find it much better than running wipers. The less I use wipers, the longer the rain-x lasts. The small almost perfiectly round drops on the windshielsd are easier to look thru than the thin sheet of water between wipes.

xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
xfedex wrote:

The small almost perfiectly round drops on the windshielsd are easier to look thru than the thin sheet of water between wipes.
I wonder if your wipers are not so effective, then.* Up here, leaving small water droplets from mist, fog, light spray, etc. is a sure way to miss seeing that crab pot buoy you just ran over and*got its line*wound around your prop.*

Wipers are the only thing that give us the crystal clear, totally unobstructed view foward that we need.**The steep, closely spaced wind waves we get here can*do a superb job of hiding debris in the water until you are within*a boat length or so from it.* The*droplets on a Rain-Xed windshield that are too light to run down on their own can make seeing this stuff almost impossible.* As can the*rivulets of water running down the windhield as a result of Rain-X.* In water without a ton of crap in it, it probably doesn't make much difference.* But it sure does here in our experience.

Wipers are the only way to get a clear, unobstructed view of what's in the water in front of us.* For whatever reason, the wipers on our boat are extremely effective.* That may be because we have to use them so much.* Even on a nice sunny day, the wind can whip up waves in Bellngham Bay that require all three wipers to be going continuously the whole five miles across.* So far as we can tell, there is no thin sheet of water that we're trying to look through between wiper strokes, just clear glass.

We got a crab pot line caught on one of our rudders once.* I have no idea how it got onto the rudder without being snagged by the prop in front of it, but we were very grateful it didn't.* But the pot had been "hidden" by mist on the windshield.* This was during one of our Rain-X experiments-- we didn't have the wipers on so we could see how the mist on the windsheld would behave--- and is one of the motivators we have to never opt to use Rain-X in lieu of wipers, at least not in the waters we boat in.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:35 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"Wipers are the only way to get a clear, unobstructed view of what's in the water in front of us. For whatever reason, the wipers on our boat are extremely effective."

Usually it takes an added spray of fresh water to keep the salt from scratching the glass.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

I will throw my vote in for RainX....
The lower helm windows on Volunteer are all vertical and when I got the boat it had a wiper motor but no arm on the center window... the P.O. touted the virtue's of RainX and said it wasn't needed. Me, the consummate doubter re installed the wiper to prove the he... the P.O. was mistaken.** One trip lasting about 8* hours and the wiper was removed and stashed away... and a new coating of rainx was applied. I found on the vertical glass even mist from foggy weather would bead up and slide off after a few minutes. The motion of the pantograph wiper was enough to drive me nuts. I ran the boat for 8 years with no issues ( except for the group of kayak's with the save the whale's banners... but the rain on the glass was just an excuse).
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #26
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I've always used Rain-X with great results. No optical degradation, keeps the glass clear during rain. Hardly ever need the wipers.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #27

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako
RainX on Lower Helm glass?

I dont have wipers that work on my 1982 Defever 41. I use RainX on the windows. The front windows have an angle to water runs off easily.

I do cheat though. I havent put RainX on in a few years so its overdue. But this year after the rain stopped, I used a loose winshield wiper in my hand to squeegy off the water.

I find that when you apply RainX you need to buff it well after its on. Use a clean soft cotton cloth. If you dont buff it that when you can get hazing.

I had not heard about aging of RainX. I have some in my shed that is 3 or 4 yrs old. I'll have to try it and see what happens.
R.

-- Edited by ralphyost on Thursday 25th of November 2010 09:31:57 AM
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
RainX on Lower Helm glass?

Quote:
FF wrote:
Usually it takes an added spray of fresh water to keep the salt from scratching the glass.
FWIW the glass in our windshield panes is the original, installed in 1973.* While they are not as crystal clear as brand new glass, there is no scratching from salt or anything else on them.* We've owned the boat for twelve years during which we use the wipers at some point almost every time we take the boat out.* I have no idea how much the previous owners in San Francicso Bay used the wipers during the 25 years before we bought the boat.

As to the wipers being a distraction, I don't even "see" them when they're running.* Perhaps it's because of all the years of flying floatplanes that have a diagonal bracing bar running directly across the windscreen in front of me.* (The Beaver doesn't have this but the Cessnas all do.)* Landplanes don't have this bar, but once I'd started flying floatplanes, it didn't take long for the bar to become totally invisible to me.* The wipers are the same way.* I'm not aware of them visually at all when they're operating, same as I dont find the wipers on a vehicle distracting.* All I see in the boat is the water ahead of me with no masking or distortion from water droplets, rivulets of water running down the glass, streaks, or scratches.* Our only requirement is a clear, unobstructed view of the water in front of the boat, and on our boat in our boating environment, Rain-X doesn't cut it.

You've gotta have good wipers and you gotta have good blades.* Otherwise I agree, wipers can make a mess on the windshield.* And maybe wiper blades don't hold up as well in hotter, sunnier climates like Texas, I don't know.* And yes, you do have to prevent the buildup of salt on glass.* We hose the boat off after every trip and we squeegee the washdown water off the glass rather than let it dry there.* We also keep a cover on the windshield when we're not using the boat to prevent the buildup of airborne dirt and soot.* So I'm sure all of this helps the wipers do a good job.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 25th of November 2010 01:54:19 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #29
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

Hows about a clear view screen (CVS)?
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #30

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

In one of my old fishing boats I bought a $17 windshield washer system from auto parts JC Whitney. Worked great. Had the spray hose attached to the winshield wiper to help disperse the cleaner.
R.

ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote