Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #41
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinclay View Post
You think its funny to be a smart &&&. While im simply stating facts and caring about individuals health. Ammonia is much more dangerous. People dont dispose of it right, or just dont take precautions when using it full strength. Comparing onions to ammonia shows your intelligence and ignorance. Im done with this subject.
You sound like you're quoting an MSDS from anhydrous ammonia, not the regular household cleaning product. As a degreed chemist, I guess I have to question YOUR intelligence. You don't seem to understand that the comparison is pretty valid. Sulfuric acid is pretty dangerous stuff, and is formed in your eyes when you cut onions. That doesn't mean you need an MSDS for onions though, and they have been doing this for years without ill effect.

Where's your smart &&& comeback about dihydrogen monoxide? I'm sure you need to quote an MSDS for that too. Can be dangerous stuff.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #42
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
The key is to take a lot of time cleaning. When you are through cleaning you have just started. Go back and really rub hard to clean a couple more times. When you think you have cleaned enough to rub a hole through the glass you might be through. .
OK, I'll bite! I don't want to stomp on anyone's "exuberance" with any product, but for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to go through all that when a perfectly good pair of wipers work so well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	18155   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1233.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	18156  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #43
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I'll bite. Rain X is quieter and uses less moving parts.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I'll bite. Rain X is quieter and uses less moving parts.
Well, I consider my hands, arms & back as "moving parts" & I don't intend to wear them out prematurely doing something that a relatively cheap mechanical devise can do much better.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #45
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
It's clear to me now that Rain-X is one of those love it or hate it products. I have never experienced or even heard rumors of either the hazing or application issues voiced in this thread until now.

If ignorance is bliss I certainly have named my boat appropriately

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Well, I consider my hands, arms & back as "moving parts" & I don't intend to wear them out prematurely doing something that a relatively cheap mechanical devise can do much better.
I'm a reliability guy, not a doctor...
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
It's clear to me now that Rain-X is one of those love it or hate it products.
For every person I have talked to who likes Rain-X I've talked to 10 who think it's one of the most worthless products on the market. It works as advertised under such a limited number of situations--- can't use your wipers--ever, increases glare at night, won't bead off light mist, etc. etc. etc.--- that it's simply not worth the effort. Either that or you have to keep applying it on an almost continuous basis.

I've tried it off and on for decades on vehicles and boats. I guess in the hope that "this time it will work." It never does and our damp, misty, rainy climate here forces you to negate it's effectiveness almost immediately. I know people who have told me that "they use Rain-X so I never have to use my wipers." On occasion they have followed me in their cars to go somewhere. If it's raining, guess what? Their wipers are always on, just like mine.

Perhaps in a drier climate where it doesn't rain much and when it does it's hard, Rain-X might be worthwhile. But it's a total waste of time and money up here, at least in my and most everyone else I know's experience.

And it's not operator error. I've followed the directions to the letter. I've buffed it out multiple times with things ranging from soft cloth diapers to electric buffers. Nothing makes any difference.

So if it works for you, great, keep using it. But if you've never tried it and want to, don't be surprised--- depending on the conditions under which you operate--- if it fails miserably and makes things worse than they were before.

I'm 100% with Walt. Our boat has great wipers. They work with fine mist, heavy spray, and everything in between. When they are operating we get a clear view forward, not a view through glass speckled with beaded drops or streaked with countless rivulets of water running down the glass. We never have a problem seeing debris in the water or little things like crab pot floats. And the effort to get this great view forward involves pulling a knob.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #48
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Perhaps in a drier climate where it doesn't rain much and when it does it's hard, Rain-X might be worthwhile. )
Hmmm. That's a good point, and down here in the tropics, when it rains it typically isn't a misting. Really rare to have fog too. I've got some Rain-X pads stuffed in my chart table drawer.... I may try the stuff.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post

Hmmm. That's a good point, and down here in the tropics, when it rains it typically isn't a misting. Really rare to have fog too. I've got some Rain-X pads stuffed in my chart table drawer.... I may try the stuff.
...and your windows are slanted the correct way.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #50
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
...and your windows are slanted the correct way.

That's right. According to you wannabe window proponents, he shouldn't have to use either Rain-X or wipers. Any water that threatens to hit the glass should just magically vaporize at the sight of his looming, butt-ugly windows.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Our boat has great wipers. They work with fine mist, heavy spray, and everything in between. When they are operating we get a clear view forward, not a view through glass speckled with beaded drops or streaked with countless rivulets of water running down the glass. We never have a problem seeing debris in the water or little things like crab pot floats. And the effort to get this great view forward involves pulling a knob.
God! that's funny! I've got you beat, though, Marin. All I have to do is "push" a rocker switch. If I want to clean them, though, I have to push another rocker switch and that's where I start to get a little tired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1236.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	18198  

Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

Yeah but....... Our boat was built in 1973 and rocker switches, along with electric toasters, vaccum cleaners, and the automobile, hadn't been invented yet. Our pull-switches were considered state-of-the-art miracles of modern science.

Which is the reason we don't have windhield washers. They hadn't been invented yet, either. Frankly, I'm surprised our boat even has glass in the windows. I'd have thought something from 1973 would have had really thin papyrus mats instead.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #53
Guru

Mistake

Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Frankly, I'm surprised our boat even has glass in the windows. I'd have thought something from 1973 would have had really thin papyrus mats instead.
=really funny!