Rain-X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I misunderstood the comment someone made about RaineX. From this statement I interpreted an expectation that Rainex would not remove the water spots and residue:

"Rain did not wash the residue off my windows. Nothing would remove it until I got the (mildly) abrasive product I mentioned above. Possibly my windows are etched by salt, possibly I didn't get them really clean (I did the normal window cleaning with Windex or something similar)."

Yes you did misunderstand it. It was a reply to someone who posted that the excess Rain X that was not buffed off would come off when it rained.

If you read the entire thread from beginning to end you will understand it and understand that some folks have had good results with the product and some (including me) have not.

WesK,
Gotta be really into a topic to read a long thread just to make a point or a small addition. If you're making post #57 and are replying to post #55 reading the whole post seems over the top in general but some posts do need to be read.

In the past I've posted a lot and frequently on posts I only have a passing interest in. Rain-x is in that catergory and to be open no I did not read the whole post. So Wes yes .. at times reading the whole post makes a big difference but I'm not going to start reading long threads to make a post. It's just a part of the forum format that is not user friendly ideal.

Yesterday, Tom and Ray Magliozzi (I know, Tommy is dead, but...you know) anyhow, the caller was an auto detailer who says he uses 4-0 (he said 4-ought) steel wool to de-spot auto glass.

I have this issue and have been watching this thread closely. What say you?

'prof

Yesterday, Tom and Ray Magliozzi (I know, Tommy is dead, but...you know) anyhow, the caller was an auto detailer who says he uses 4-0 (he said 4-ought) steel wool to de-spot auto glass.

I have this issue and have been watching this thread closely. What say you?

'prof

Don't know, but I ruined a windshield on a car using a scotchbrite pad to try and remove a bunch of paint (idiot kids drove done the highway next to a paint striping truck). Not sure if the steel wool would be less abrasive?

On the Mohs hardness scale, a steel knife and glass plate have the same hardness (5.5). Steel won't scratch glass and glass won't scratch steel. Although certain alloys of steel and certain mixes of glass may have slightly different properties and may affect the hardness/scratchability.

What will polish plastic or glass to perfect clarity is using ceramic stove top cleaner.

I just used your idea and it worked great. Took ceramic stove top cleaner that comes with an application pad and it took the water spots right off of my glass windows. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Three thumbs up.

Back
Top Bottom