Rain-X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not have good results with Rain X. Perhaps I didn't apply it correctly or perhaps my windows weren't completely clean, but the Rain X seemed to cloud the windows and I had a very difficult time removing it.

My experience was the same. Hate the stuff. The only way I got rid of it was to replace the windows. That was not the only reason the windows were replaced but it sure helped with the decision.

My experience showed if it was NOT ABSOLUTELY FRESH it was worse than not having it.

The fact that the raindrops, light rain/spray, rolled off easily did not make up for the mess it made when not FRESH or the wipers had to be used as they eventually did in heavy spray.

I is h++l to remove resisting alcohol, lacquer thinner, acetone, xylene, and various other chemicals. No way will I ever use it again.

JMO.

I have used RainX for many years and prefer it to using the wipers. I apply it at the beginning of the season and it lasts all summer.

I started using it in my previous boat where the wiper motors did not work and RainX was a cheaper solution than replacing the motors. i was surprised how well it worked.

In my current boat the wipers do work but are not very effective.

After a wet passage I manually clean off the dry salt with fresh water and a squeegee.

:flowers:Windex first, Rain X follows. Never, never have had an issue with cloudiness, never found reason to remove between application. It will disappear, if that is the word, on its own defined by re-application on the next pro-active desire to be ready for a up coming rain session. In effect, with an eye to the sky prior to departing the harbor with our weather patterns, the application of Rain x is a part of making ready as a habit.:angel:

In relation to many of the boating expenses we accept, a economy size bottle of Rain x is a relative small expense.:facepalm:
Sort of relates to the very long thread some time back on the cost of marine toilet paper. Sheeeeeeee!:D

Al-Ketchikan

My friends lobster boat doesn't even have wipers. RainX only for going on twenty years. I prefer it to the smear of dried salt from blades. Put it on by the directions every two weeks or so when cruising.

Used Rain extensively on assistance towboats...on all windows 360 degrees in pilothouse.

It helped a lot with both salt spray and rain.

Obviously heavy rain or spray and speeds under 15 knots required wipers to see well, but the beading and running off at slower speeds and non wiper windows was invaluable.

On my trawler I use the RainX window cleaner with good results also, frequent use helps.

Nothing substitutes for wipers when less than 50 knots or so....but in my experience it is definitely worth it.

Never use regular RainX inside, use their defog formula there.

............... In relation to many of the boating expenses we accept, a economy size bottle of Rain x is a relative small expense.:facepalm:
Sort of relates to the very long thread some time back on the cost of marine toilet paper. Sheeeeeeee!:D

Al-Ketchikan

The expense doesn't bother me one bit. It's the fact that for me, it didn't work and mad a hard to remove mess. I can't say why but I can say it did.

Years ago there was a powder cleaning product here called "Bon Ami"(doubt it had any real French origin) with the advertising slogan "Hasn`t Scratched Yet" accompanied by a pic of a newly hatched chicken. Fortunately advertising has moved on.
I and some people in the car business used it to clean windscreens, it did not scratch, must have been a fine mild abrasive cleaner. Some products described here sound similar. Might be good prep for Rain X, which I find a useful.

Bon Ami, is still around, you can get it just about everywhere. We get it at Wally World.

I did not have good results with Rain X. Perhaps I didn't apply it correctly or perhaps my windows weren't completely clean, but the Rain X seemed to cloud the windows and I had a very difficult time removing it.

I need to add to those above who had a problem with clouding despite following directions on the Rain X product. Very hard to remove and I am very hesitant to try again.

I have found Rain-X to work well. However, a clean window is needed. Rain-X did not work for me until I learned about cleaning. I use Windex. After throughly cleaning the windows, I clean them again. After this type cleaning the Rain-X works very well. In most cases wipers are not needed.

I have found Rain-X to work well. However, a clean window is needed. Rain-X did not work for me until I learned about cleaning. I use Windex. After throughly cleaning the windows, I clean them again. After this type cleaning the Rain-X works very well. In most cases wipers are not needed.

Clean is correct...like Capt Bill pointed out too....the cleaner you get it, the better it works.

It almost needs to be buffed with dry paper towels or cotton rags, again and again till the haze goes away....shouldn't be but a few seconds per area.

A second coat helps and is much easier than the first.

I had the haze problem too till I learned that a clean window was necessary and to NEVER use it inside.

Bon Ami is good stuff. I've kept a can around for years. Actually 2 cans because it comes in two grades. Original is very fine & is sometimes hard to find (says Original on the can). The other is a newer formula and is not quite as fine. I use both. The original does a great job on cleaning off acid rain spots, also does good on polishing metal. Definitely worth keeping a can around as it cleans a lot of things with very little danger of scratching or dulling the surface.

I just finished polishing the glass in my shower with cerium oxide and a Makita polisher with a felt disc. Worked great but boring...

I'm a fan of Rain-X, no clouding, rarely need wipers, good stuff. I suspect if you freeze it, it spoils how it works. I left mine outside last winter.

We used Rain-X on the windshield of our motorhome. I just cleaned the windshield first, but didn't do anything extra special. The rain drops just rolled off the windshield. We also had the Rain-X spray on cleaner that would take the bugs off the windshield and replenish the Rain-X at the same time.

We were turned on to 210 wax by a canvas guy in Cape May last year. Our flybridge enclosure was rather old when we bought the boat and was very difficult to see through. I had tried several vinyl cleaners without much improvement. One use of the 210 and it was much better. Another benefit was that the rain drops would run off better that before since we could not have a wiper on the vinyl enclosure. I have since had the canvas guy make EZ2C panels for the front windows of the bridge. Can't wait to see through them when we get to launch the boat in the spring. He says to use the 210 on the EZ2C panels too. It is very easy to apply, just spray on and then polish the vinyl.

Clean is correct...like Capt Bill pointed out too....the cleaner you get it, the better it works.

It almost needs to be buffed with dry paper towels or cotton rags, again and again till the haze goes away....shouldn't be but a few seconds per area.

A second coat helps and is much easier than the first.

I had the haze problem too till I learned that a clean window was necessary and to NEVER use it inside.

:thumb: +1

RT,

My understanding is no it can't. A couple of years ago I had to remove some bad water spots on windows. I was in Anacortes at the time and someone was detailing a boat across from us. I asked him how he would remove the water spots. His response was use 3M rubbing compound and when they were gone, use carnuba wax on the glass. I have done that ever since including expanding use to our car and truck. It lasts much longer than RainX and does a better job.

Tom

I agree, why should it be a cause of your own product.

This is a great investment, can be used on windows and the whole boat. water, black VOC does not stick, easy to clean off. I'm not yet in my tug, but an old boat in the past several years better than any other final wax try. (Non-cleansing, non-abrasive)

STEP 3 Hi-Temp Paste Wax offered by Finish Kare Mold Release

1254975406.gif

I'm about to have my boat detailed and although the guy doing the work has never used Ultima Paint Guard Plus, I'm going to have him use it on the fiberglass as well as the glass. Will let everyone know how it holds up, but on my car glass it works great and lasts a long time. Plus it's ridiculously easy for me to re-apply as needed since you don't have to wipe it off. While I haven't used any of the boat waxes or sealants, I've used at least 15 to 20 different automotive waxes and sealants over the years. And Ultima Paint Guard is by far the best product I've used when considering ease of application and the longevity of the finish. Hopefully it works as well on my boat!

I use a product called Aquapel. I asked a deckhand on a 100 footer what he was applying to the windows. He gave me an applicator which contains a breakable vial wetting the surface of the applicator. In a side by side comparison it sheds water faster on my slow moving Eagle and lasts 2-3 months if wipers are not used. It costs about $4 per applicator and one will do all 9 windows in my pilot house.

Rain-x requires you to let it dry first, then wipe the residue off with clean water and a soft cloth. Once you do that, it won't fog the windows. If you leave the residue on, it will be slightly foggy until the first rain which washes off the residue.

I live near Seattle and I know rain. I've found Rain X on my cars and boat to be nothing but a smearing agent. I use Aquapel on both now and it is far superior and doesn't smear like Rain X. It is available on Amazon. It is important that you thoroughly clean your windows before application.

And there is the rule.:thumb: We also clean the windows with Windex. Every time? Well yes it would be nice, however, as often as we apply Rain X we too use the fresh water pressure from the dock hose to rinse off the last voyage. Periodically the Windex is then re-applied. Details slip by the mind when habit is employed. :facepalm:

Al-Ketchikan

After a good application of regular rain X....try the Rain X window cleaner in the spray bottle. It vleans the windows and adds a little rain X back...works great on my windows.

Rain-x requires you to let it dry first, then wipe the residue off with clean water and a soft cloth. Once you do that, it won't fog the windows. If you leave the residue on, it will be slightly foggy until the first rain which washes off the residue.

Obviously a lot of people have had good results with the product. I, and a few other posters, have not. Rain did not wash the residue off my windows. Nothing would remove it until I got the (mildly) abrasive product I mentioned above. Possibly my windows are etched by salt, possibly I didn't get them really clean (I did the normal window cleaning with Windex or something similar).

I can't explain why I had the results I did, but believe me, this is what happened.

I have used RainX for years on our pilothouse windows, front and side. Have always had very good results with it. I apply it about twice a year. Salt or fresh water, Rain X does not seem to care. Don't use it on the inside though!

Have used RainX forever on boat and car. You need to apply and buff off when it dries. Just like wax. Never had a problem. We have a boat that takes a lot of salt spray. RainX is better then wipers.......much better.

RainX is not intended to get dirt,stains, residue and water spots off the glass. It is intended to repel rain, sleet and snow. Water beads up and blows off the glass. If you are trying to remove water spots and residue on the dry glass, RainX is not the product you need to clean the glass.

RainX is not intended to get dirt,stains, residue and water spots off the glass. It is intended to repel rain, sleet and snow. Water beads up and blows off the glass. If you are trying to remove water spots and residue on the dry glass, RainX is not the product you need to clean the glass.

I'm sure everyone knows that.

I guess I misunderstood the comment someone made about RaineX. From this statement I interpreted an expectation that Rainex would not remove the water spots and residue:

"Rain did not wash the residue off my windows. Nothing would remove it until I got the (mildly) abrasive product I mentioned above. Possibly my windows are etched by salt, possibly I didn't get them really clean (I did the normal window cleaning with Windex or something similar)."

Back
Top Bottom