Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Radio protocol

I know proper radio protocol fairly well, but I wonder if the rest of you have any pet peaves or other thoughts about the subject, "over".

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Guru

RE: Radio protocol

One of my pet peaves is people giving the hailing vessel name three times. My own understanding is that you should give the name of the vessel being called three times, and then the hailing vessel just once. And that makes sense to me, as the hailing vessel name can be clarified once contact is made, but you MUST get the name of the vessel being called out there, or there will be no contact.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I have a problem with the CBers Or people with no idea of how to use a VHF.*They call 3 or 4 times then come back with a "Negative contact" such and such clear.

*Nobody cares if you made contact or not.

They are just clouding up the air and usually walking all over somebody else.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

I have a problem with the CBers Or people with no idea of how to use a VHF.*They call 3 or 4 times then come back with a "Negative contact" such and such clear.

Nobody cares if you made contact or not.

SD
SD, You may not care, however, that is proper radio protocal. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Guru

Radio protocol

Could you quote the source for your statement.
Inquiring minds.

I was under the impression that the hailing frequency was for that. Hailing and emergency use.**Idle chatter just clogs up the air and could prevent a true emergency from being heard.

I know it is proper protocal for land based Citizen radio but some where there is a chance for loss of life and limb I would stand to differ
SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 13th of December 2010 12:41:01 PM
Old 12-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Why does everyone get mad at me when I start off by saying "Breaker Breaker" when I hail someone and when I am done and ending the discussion they get mad when I say"That's a 10-4 good buddy. Over and out."

I don't get all upset about radio stuff unless it's blatant nonsense like endless talking on Channel 16, letting your kid play on the VHF and having them sing a song into the mic, etc. etc. *But I'm easy going. *I don't even mind radio checks on Channel 16.

P.S. I DO hope you all know that I am kidding about saying breaker breaker! *
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Nobody cares if you made contact or not.

SD
I felt the same way, until a professional pointed out that the value in them doing that is if the vessel being called heard and responded, then they would at least know that their reply went unheard. My own perspective on that was that I would assume my reply unheard if I got no response, so what have we gained? Not so sure on this one.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Why does everyone get mad at me when I start off by saying "Breaker Breaker" when I hail someone and when I am done and ending the discussion they get mad when I say
"That's a 10-4 good buddy. Over and out."

I don't get all upset about radio stuff unless it's blatant nonsense like endless talking on Channel 16, letting your kid play on the VHF and having them sing a song into the mic, etc. etc. *But I'm easy going. *I don't even mind radio checks on Channel 16.

P.S. I DO hope you all know that I am kidding about saying breaker breaker! *

Breaker, breaker indeed. I'm glad you mentioned over and out. Do we all know that you are either over or out, and not both at the same time? Say yes.*

Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Guru

Here's something that I can't get right. I know that protocol says we must say over, when we are ready to allow the other person to speak. However, I don't say over in normal conversation, and simply don't remember to do so on the radio. I feel ashamed every time I do it. Downright dirty in fact. Can anyone tell why we must say over? Is it simply to speed up the process, so there is no wasted air time with the pause?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Guru

I believe Over is to signify that the*communication is on going. Over to you.**Awaiting response**
OUT *End of transmission.

SD*
Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

I believe Over is to signify that the*communication is on going. Over to you.**Awaiting response**
OUT *End of transmission.

SD
Right, but in normal conversation, we are able to sense whether the conversation will continue or if it is finished. Even on the phone.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Guru

I would think it is fine when you are close and have a good connection but when further away and things get garbled* or staticy.
*"Over" would be in order.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

I would think it is fine when you are close and have a good connection but when further away and things get garbled* or staticy.
"Over" would be in order.
That makes sense. It helps others waiting to use the frequency to tell you are continuing as well.*

Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I was a commercial radioman at a cannery in the 60s and used very close to perfect "protocol". Announcing your'e clear or calling twice often helps get the job done and I almost always said "over" when I transferred the mike. But there are many ways to speed up communication w improper procedure such as clicking the mike to clear. The commercial fishermen here in SE are the most "improper" radiomen I've ever heard. And the sports guys talk about all kinds of trivia that should NEVER be on ch 16. But the absolute worst thing on the radio is guys trying to sound like old salts or big tough guys. These guys are sinking the ship as far as maximizing communications*** ...and just for their ego. Coast Guard radio and even airline pilots fall into this childish crap. Communication is not well served when the mike button is released before one is through talking. That's my pet peve
....guys trying to sound*swauve or super confident by being casual or talking too fast.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Capn Chuck wrote:

SD, You may not care, however, that is proper radio protocal. Chuck
I did some Internet search and did come up with one site that referred to the negative contact bit*as proper protocol.

*But to my mind that would be fine on working channels but on 16 it would just be clutter and not necessary.

*You call someone and get no response. OK fine the end.

I firmly believe you should get off 16 as soon as possible Just in case there is an emergency.

Make you call and move to a working channel.

I have heard the CG repremand someone for* Usless chatter on 16.

SD

Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Radio protocol

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

I have heard the CG repremand someone for* Usless chatter on 16.

SD
Then what do they do? Send him to his room without supper?

(sorry... it was funny in my head)

BTW... Everything you said is the way I roll too. I stay quiet 99% of the time and only monitir 16. Not even a radio check unless I suspect something wrong. Will often just use my HH radio to test the big one.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Monday 13th of December 2010 01:56:43 PM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

You honestly want to know my biggest pet peeve? Why can't the ship to ship communication channel be like channel 14 or something instead of channel 68?? Why must we dial our receivers so far from 16 in order to communicate more in depth? I hereby make a motion that channel 14 become the ship to ship communication channel!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Carey wrote:Right, but in normal conversation, we are able to sense whether the conversation will continue or if it is finished. Even on the phone.
And more relevant still, face to face or telephone is duplex, both parties can speak and be heard at the same time. VHF radio is simplex, one station speaks, the other listens.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

You honestly want to know my biggest pet peeve? Why can't the ship to ship communication channel be like channel 14 or something instead of channel 68?? Why must we dial our receivers so far from 16 in order to communicate more in depth? I hereby make a motion that channel 14 become the ship to ship communication channel!
I HEAR YA'!! Actually, that's exactly the reason I seeked out a radio with a KNOB to select channels. My older radio that came with it only had buttons. It took forever to get to 68 and I always overshot it. I try and use VFH10 when I gat called. I used 17 for a while until I realized it was a low-power channel. DOH! (that explained a lot)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Channel 14 would be great but in the PNW, San Francisco and BC, VTC already beat us to it.* What channels do VTC use on the East*Coast?

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Manzanillo, Colima, MX*

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote