Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #81
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Radio protocol

Romeo that. We had two yachts, and prided ourselves on our seamanship and consideration for others on the water that many fizzboat (as we then called them) owners seemed not to have. However, Moreton Bay here off Brisbane is another area fantastic for motor cruising, but where the sun beats down, requiring good shade, and the channels are narrow, and the wind always in the wrong direction, even if there was room to tack, no most of it not suited to sailing, regretably, or we too would have a yacht. But a bigger, roomier one than the two we had in NZ, for sure....those creature comfits become more relevant the older you are, and the older your family is as well. Privacy is also relevant here, I'm sure many would agree.
The Y generation and later are intolerant of the snoring, breaking of wind and toilet smells one tends to share in a yacht....did I just say that? - it slipped out....
Oh yeah....Lotus out.

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 01:22:22 AM

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #82
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
RE: Radio protocol

Quote:

....and that was my original point...in addition to lat/long. *I have never heard them just give local reference points....I have never heard them give ANY local reference points...only lat/long.

I have found the C/G quite willing to give you additional location information.* Several times, I have called back and asked for a geographic reference to a Lat Lon.* They might not have it immediately, but it doesn't take them long to come up with it************ (at least in Alaska).* My guess is that there is little space in the radio room for all the charts covering the huge area their transmitters cover.* If I was involved in a search, I would also ask for predicted set and drift of someone in the water as they have some sophisticated computer models to aid them.* Again though, I doubt this is immediately available to the radio operator as he must concentrate on communications first.* Can they improve?* Sure, we all can, but it's pretty easy to ask for more information if you need it.* Hopefully, if it's my butt in the water, anyone hearing a C/G broadcast will take enough interest to determine how far away they are and if they can help.* I know I always do the same.* Ten four good buddy, over and out.............Oh wait, never mind...........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #83
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

I know a lot of you are from PNW, but for those of you on the East coast in the ICW, how to you converse with bridgetenders?

I usually just tune into their channel (13 or 9 in our area) and say the name of the bridge once.* "Little River Swing Bridge"

Then they usually answer "Little River Swing Bridge"

Then I say my intention "Little River Swing Bridge, this is power vessel Polly P. Southbound on the ICW, we are requesting your next opening please."

Bridge says "Polly P., next opening is 2PM"

I say "Roger 2PM"

then I say "Polly P. Out."

Then as we pass through I say "thank you bridge, have a nice day"

And they usually say, "Have a safe journey"

In case I might make it under a bridge I call ahead and ask the clearance at that time, since it can vary depending on tide.* They really appreciate it when you can get under without an unneccessary opening.

While we're on the topic, what is the radio exchange for a slow pass?* Do you switch to a working channel or just say on 16 "Hey how 'bout a slow pass" and the sail boat says "OK" and then it is all good....* Since it is so short I just yell at them on 16 and don't bother with the formality of switching to 68 just to say hey how 'bout a slow pass..*** Seems like most folks have been amenable to this method.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #84
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

I know a lot of you are from PNW, but for those of you on the East coast in the ICW, how to you converse with bridgetenders?

I usually just tune into their channel (13 or 9 in our area) and say the name of the bridge once.* "Little River Swing Bridge"

That is the way I contact the bridges.* Channel 9 in some states and 13 in others.* Egregious, how do you get the Socastee Creek swing bridge to answer?* He has been about the worst about responding.

Passing I will usually say Cap if you will slow down I will give a slow pass on the port.* They usually acknowledge and slow down.* Some don't.* That is my pet peave running the ditch.* If the conversation runs any longer, I will switch off to a working channel.* Never had the USCG have any problem with it. YMMV

Rather than changing direction on this thread, I think I will start a new thread on passing.
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #85
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

Egregious, how do you get the Socastee Creek swing bridge to answer?* He has been about the worst about responding.

I think that Socastee is one of those that doesn't answer unless you use the*exact right*name, depending on the bridge tender.* I think you have to say "Socastee Swing Bridge" in that exact way otherwise they won't answer.* Anything else and they ignore you.* Most times I drove under (in a 19' Grady White).*

Hey if you want to hear some great stories, let me tell you about Sunset Beach.* That one bridge probably caused more boat traffic backups than any other on the entire east coast.** Clearance listed as ZERO, although locals knew how to get under in small boats, if the tide was right.* Even then, tricky as Hell because of the creeks pushing out water during a falling tide.*When that happens, unsuspecting yachts get pushed sideways just before the opening...*Those days are over as the new high rise is now open.

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #86
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

We have drawbridges on the Ship Canal and Montlake Cut that connect Lake Union to the Sound and to Lake Washington.* Most sailboats need the bridges open, at least a bit.* I haven't been in these waters for years but when I used to crew on a racing sailboat that was kept on Lake Washington we went out to the Sound several times a year.* All communication with the bridge tenders was done by horn.* Each bridge had its own horn "code."* You would request an opening by horn and they would reply by horn.* Some of the bridges are pretty close together, hence the different horn signal for each bridge.

Usually they would open the bridge just enough to let your mast slide under and then they'd put the bridge halves back down.* This greatly reduced the time they held up traffic.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #87
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Believe it or not, in Texas on the ICW many of the bridges and locks have a number designation. I have no clue where it comes from....maybe the distance "West of the Harvey Locks" which is the unit of measurement of the GICW. But the Colorado River Locks are "411" I think and if you simply address him as "411" he will answer INSTANTLY!. If you call him by the full name, he may or may not answer. These number designations are in the GICW cruising guides.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #88

If the snow is piled up and your vessel is on the hard you may want to "plow" through this.

http://tiny.cc/bcloi

Two if by Sea standing by in the Florida Keys

George

George is offline   Reply With Quote