Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
RE: Radio protocol

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:*I hereby make a motion that channel 14 become the ship to ship communication channel!
You might want to take that up with the FCC. Channel 14 is already assigned to port operations and VTS.

Take a look at the table of USCG or FCC channel assignments.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Hey Rick**
I love those coups. How much are they sell'in for now?

Great Avitar

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

Not nearly enough! Make me a really good offer and I might throw in a Tripacer!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

Or replace this and I'll swap straight across!

I sold this because I couldn't find a hangar here, now I have a hangar but really want my Duster back ... it went to the UK though and it ain't coming back this way anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dustersmall.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1572  
Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
RickB wrote:

Woodsong wrote:I hereby make a motion that channel 14 become the ship to ship communication channel!
You might want to take that up with the FCC. Channel 14 is already assigned to port operations and VTS.

Take a look at the table of USCG or FCC channel assignments.

I know Channel 14 is already taken- I just wish I had been in the room when they assigned it so that i could have made a motion to have it be for ship to ship communications and make an impassioned plea for the recreational boater and their having to turn the dial so much to 68!

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Carey wrote:

Here's something that I can't get right. I know that protocol says we must say over, when we are ready to allow the other person to speak. However, I don't say over in normal conversation, and simply don't remember to do so on the radio. I feel ashamed every time I do it. Downright dirty in fact. Can anyone tell why we must say over? Is it simply to speed up the process, so there is no wasted air time with the pause?
It's because in normal conversation, you can hear the other party even if you are still talking.* On a simplex radio system, you cannot.* If your party begins to answer and you are still transmitting, you won't hear the reply.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

My pet peeve? People using the marine radio like a telephone. Talking about what they are having for dinner, where they are going next week, where they were last week, etc. Or fishermen doing the same thing talking about the fishing or whatever.

VHF communications should be short and sweet. Say what you need to say, hear what you need to hear, and let it be for the next user.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

make an impassioned plea for the recreational boater and their having to turn the dial so much to 68!
Turn the dial the other direction.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #29
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

How many channels are available for ship to ship in your area?

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #30
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Radio protocol

Quote:
rwidman wrote:

Carey wrote:

Here's something that I can't get right. I know that protocol says we must say over, when we are ready to allow the other person to speak. However, I don't say over in normal conversation, and simply don't remember to do so on the radio. I feel ashamed every time I do it. Downright dirty in fact. Can anyone tell why we must say over? Is it simply to speed up the process, so there is no wasted air time with the pause?
It's because in normal conversation, you can hear the other party even if you are still talking.* On a simplex radio system, you cannot.* If your party begins to answer and you are still transmitting, you won't hear the reply.

Right you are. but like any other conversation, I can sense when it's my turn. Most of the time. I'll continue trying to fit over into my vhf conversations. It's just hard for some of us old people to make a change of any sort. Happy Destiny, out!

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 13th of December 2010 06:17:42 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
rwidman wrote:

My pet peeve? People using the marine radio like a telephone. Talking about what they are having for dinner, where they are going next week, where they were last week, etc. Or fishermen doing the same thing talking about the fishing or whatever.

VHF communications should be short and sweet. Say what you need to say, hear what you need to hear, and let it be for the next user.
seconded!* Actually most of what everyone else said.* * I think kids playing on the radio is the worst though.* ESPECIALLY if it is 16.

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #32
Guru

Another of my gripes are the folks that call every minute until they get satisfaction. If my memory serves me, we are supposed to call no more than two or three times with about two to three minutes pause in between, and if no response is received, then wait at least fifteen minutes before hailing again. This procedure is unknown by many of us weekend warriors.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Ms. Pineapple and Mr. rw.* There's nothing wrong IMHO with people "chatting" on VHF as long as it's on a working channel and NOT on 16.* Many times I have heard charter fisherman exchanging information regarding depths and baits.* There should be enough space and working channels for all this to go on.
*** I have NO patience for CB type talk on ANY channel.*
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
Ms. Pineapple and Mr. rw.* There's nothing wrong IMHO with people "chatting" on VHF as long as it's on a working channel and NOT on 16.* Many times I have heard charter fisherman exchanging information regarding depths and baits.* There should be enough space and working channels for all this to go on.
I have NO patience for CB type talk on ANY channel.
RTI almost agree with you a 100% on this one. Well, maybe 99.7%, as in the San Juan Islands, and I'm sure in many other areas with a large vacation crowd in July and August, it can be very difficult to get a word in edgewise. Other than those months, i would not begrudge swapping recipes, or any other chatter.*

Old 12-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #35
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Being "hearing challenged" the worst offenders to my ability to understand is the USCG and others, when they talk so darn fast.(what the heck, is it a contest to see who can speak the most words in a day?)* In the long run, there would be less air time used if the communication was heard the first time, rather than having to say, "sorry, I couldn't copy all that, could you repeat"? I also find this to be true when someone leaves a voice mail, and the return phone number is spit out so fast as to be unintelligible. * ...........Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:

Being "hearing challenged" the worst offenders to my ability to understand is the USCG and others, when they talk so darn fast.(what the heck, is it a contest to see who can speak the most words in a day?)* In the long run, there would be less air time used if the communication was heard the first time, rather than having to say, "sorry, I couldn't copy all that, could you repeat"? I also find this to be true when someone leaves a voice mail, and the return phone number is spit out so fast as to be unintelligible. * ...........Arctic Traveller
Same problem here, so it must be them------not us!

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #37
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Radio protocol

Hiya,
** Not to spit hairs but when*I took my radio exam, repeat was NOT accepted practice.* The proper request was "Say again" and "I could not copy that" is CB talk.**
**** Hmmmm.....Protocol??????

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Monday 13th of December 2010 08:34:42 PM
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

My biggest pet peeve is when the USCG provides emergency information about a vessel in distress and then they give you the lat and lon...and that is all. It would be very nice and very conveneient and MUCH more effective if, after they gave your the coordinates, give you an estimated position in English....like "....xx.xxxN....xxx.xxxW....or 25 miles SSW of Galveston....something like that. I'm sorry, but I am not gonna get out the chart every time I hear one of these....and we hear them all the time down here. I MIGHT look at my chartplotter and try to interpolate approx where they are at....I might not.

In ref to "over"....I think it has evolved more into a question as in..."Did you hear what I just said"....usually used on the second transmission after the receiving party missed the first transmission. It is more necessary when you are using "worse" means of communication....like HF radio.

I agree, I am a stickler for proper radio protocol(especially in an aircraft)...or at the very least, a consideration for the purpose of the radio.

And there is no way the Alaskan fishing fleet can be any worse than the towboat Captains down here on the Gulf coast. They are mostly cajun and don't even speak English!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

I'm beginning to regret having a VHF radio installed (it's standard equipment on the Coot), given the apparently constant chatter.**Regulations say I have to listen while underway.* Is the chatter on channel 16 that bad?* Never had or needed a two-way radio in my 15 years of Bay Area (auxiliary sailboat) boating.** Please tell me it's not that bad.
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

I'm beginning to regret having a VHF radio installed (it's standard equipment on the Coot), given the apparently constant chatter.**Regulations say I have to listen while underway.* Is the chatter on channel 16 that bad?* Never had or needed a two-way radio in my 15 years of Bay Area (auxiliary sailboat) boating.** Please tell me it's not that bad.
Mark, you better stay out of the Bahamas.* Almost everyone afloat or ashore communicates with VHF radio.* It's one big party line.* When we were in Marsh Harbour we had to call for taxis on VHF.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote