Radar Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And when fog pops up unexpectedly and unforecast, what does one do? Drop anchor in a channel? Keep going and pray?

That one depends on where you boat. In some areas, it's a real concern and boating in fog is an unavoidable fact of life. In the areas I boat, not so much. Fog doesn't really appear that suddenly without warning around here. And usually if there's fog, it's there in the morning and then burns off.

And when fog pops up unexpectedly and unforecast, what does one do? Drop anchor in a channel? Keep going and pray?
Compass, depth sounder and paper chart along with local knowledge.
True story. One day planned for fishing we departed marina with another boat on our heels into the fog because it always lifts by noon. Not this day. after an hour we arrived at destination (found the bell buoy), began fishing for about four hours, other boat always in sight.
Time to head back in. An hour later we were both back at the dock.
So from this I learned that 50% of the boaters that day can find their way in the fog. :pirate:

Used mine yesterday, on a nice crisp (low 60s) clear sunny day off shore NE Florida.

Why?

Shrimpers! Dozens of them! They troll in rectangles and are constantly changing direction. I chose to go outside of them but sometimes outside quickly becomes inside!! :)

Here is nine of them within a three mile radius.

Then, two miles off shore, there were a couple of dozen of the smaller commercial guys on a shrimp run.

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_122952283.jpg
    IMG_20191124_122952283.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_7916.jpg
    DSC_7916.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_7915.jpg
    DSC_7915.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_7918.jpg
    DSC_7918.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_7922.jpg
    DSC_7922.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Wise choice. I would too.

And this reminds me of the night we passed through a floating city of sampans/junks in the South China Sea. We saw the inexplicable glow growing in intensity for miles, and it extended for as far as the eye and radar could see to port and stbd. You might say the wise choice was to do anything but go through, but such was not my decision - I was just driving the thing for the captain who ordered me to do it. No moon, flat, breathless calm. Bridge radar repeater was reduced to the absolute minimum range, speed to ahead 1/3 (5 knots, bare steerage for a DDG) and grease pencil sharpened and run back and forth across the lighted plotting head like a teletype to reveal dozens of lines of dots coming at us. As I picked a path through, I once took a second to actually look outside (LOTS of others were doing so for me) and to this day vividly recall the silent upturned Asiatic faces reflected in Coleman style lanterns on bobbing unpainted wooden vessels just yards from our sides as we slipped quietly through. No bumps, no nets or lines snagged, no yelling, just quiet acceptance of what was. 1971 was an interesting year.

Nothing surpasses Radar for finding your spot in a busy anchorage. I always find that my visual will put me too close or too far, but Radar will put me in the right spot.

Especially at night!

Radar

How often do you actually use your radar?

For running the AICW, Coastal Cruising, crossing the Stream?

We rarely turn it on when running the AICW, but do have it on when offshore even running just off shore inlet to inlet. And always when crossing.

I have always been aware of the fact that when you have a radar you "must use it," but never do in the close confines of the AICW. I have decided that to do so is really not appropriate.

What do you guys do?

From DHS Nav Center:

"11. Am I required to have Radar? Radar is not required on vessels under 1600 GT (33 CFR 164.35), however, Rule 7 states that proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational. In other words, whoever has one must use it. The Navigation Rules are not meant to discourage the use of any device, rather they expect prudent mariners to avail themselves of all available means appropriate...as to make full appraisal of the situation (Rule 5), e.g. the use of radar. At issue is whether the use of radar is appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and that is a determination made by the Master; and, ultimately decided by a trier of fact.

Should you be in a collision how would a judge/jury rule on your contention that the use of radar was impracticable (due to electrical drain, crew shortages, etc.)? Also, if a collision does occur, then there was obviously a risk of collision beforehand. Could the determination of that risk have been made sooner with the use of radar? It is difficult to answer such questions because the circumstances of each case are different.

More importantly, remember that Rule 7 specifies that assumptions shall not be made on the basis of scanty information, especially scanty radar information."

Totally depends on the type of boating you do. If you do long water crossings or if you experience a lot of fog or if you spend a lot of time cruising at night, then you probably need a radar. I don't do that. I spend my time in a relatively small area, only get underway during daylight and spend my time in protected waters so I don't even have a radar. Hell, I used to fly an airplane from Okinawa to the Philippines on nothing more than a wet compass since TACAN was useless after we passed Taiwan so I actually think radar is rather overrated. When you consider the horizon your radar can see from a height of 20 ft or so above the water, the average boater really doesn't gain much by having one. Again, depends on the type of boating you do.

Bryant, I may have asked you this before? Where do you keep your boat?

Boat

Bryant, I may have asked you this before? Where do you keep your boat?

Hi. My boat is in Pensacola. I’d like to get together.
Bryant.

Yes, I live in Fleming Island. My boat is in Pensacola.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom