Radar arch pivot hinge designs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willcocon

I will soon be buying a trawler with a fly bridge and radar arch; the issue is I would need the bridge height to be below 19' so as to pass the Chicago bridge into Lake Michigan. Most all are over the 19' at the radar arch. My question is what would it take to convert a solid mount Radar Arch to one that could pivot down? The other question would be to get an understanding if the boats I'm having interests in already have a pivoting radar arch.
For instance "a Jefferson Marquessa"?
Thanks for any info
Willco

We had the very same concern. Saw several boats with fixed arches, and found it would be almost impossible to convert them to folding. Its easy to see if one is 'foldable', as you can see the stainless 'hinge' at the base of the arches. The boat we purchased (1988 CHB Present) has an arch/hinge that folds either forward or backward. And the dinghy crane easily comes down with only one large pin to remove. :thumb:

Radar arch pivot

Thanks for the info Foxtrot Charlie. I've pictures of the arch and it would seem that there is a hinge or a least a bolt plate there but cannot confirm. The owner is not sure either. The boat is a long way from me so would like to know prior to flying to the marina . Tried to get answers via the boat builder (Jefferson) but they're out of business. Will try to get pictures

Thanks for the info Foxtrot Charlie. I've pictures of the arch and it would seem that there is a hinge or a least a bolt plate there but cannot confirm. The owner is not sure either. The boat is a long way from me so would like to know prior to flying to the marina . Tried to get answers via the boat builder (Jefferson) but they're out of business. Will try to get pictures

There is not much to see of the 'hinge' - if the owner sees any stainless metal at the base of the arch legs, then it probably folds down by pulling out a small pin. Good luck.

You can always remove the fiberglass arch and put on a tube arch instead. We had an Atlantic Towers arch that I put on a previous boat that would easliy fold down.

Or Marquipt among others can make you a hydraulic one. $$$.
https://www.marquipt.com/products/23.html

Had one on our old Hatteras, thanks to original PO, great piece of gear made servicing and installing anything on the arch super easy. Seems to me a good fabrication shop could convert about anything to a manually hinged one.. the trick being able to lower it gently and raise it easily. UMT is another example source for this. http://www.umtmarine.com/custom-fabrication/arches

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom