Racor 900 petcock drain options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
Anybody retro-fitted their Racor 900s with a petcock vs the cheap but expensive Racor valve? The thread on the bottom of the bowl is an impossible to easily match 5/8 x 11:banghead: Mine are 900FGs.

I should say, hard to find in a hardware store or plumbing supply near me.

A hydraulics or pneumatics outlet would be a likely bet. They seal, at least mine does, with an O ring.

Greetings,
Mr. D. Try your local NAPA or the like. Hardware or plumbing stores are not the best source for machine tools.

If you search around the web a bit, you can find the official Racor valves pretty inexpensively. Maybe 1/3 the price of your local Parker dealer.

An unrelated question, but is that the same thread on the water sensor port on the 900?

Don’t forget the cap or plug that is supposed to be in the valve outlet unless you are servicing the filter.

They make a brass plug that screws into the bowl that has a 1/4" npt hole in it. Then thread a ball valve in, but remember to fit a plug in the bottom of the ball valve!!

Found and ordered two of these. Each comes with plug as well. IMG_6158.jpg

If you search around the web a bit, you can find the official Racor valves pretty inexpensively. Maybe 1/3 the price of your local Parker dealer.

Thank you but the official Racor valves I find to be of very pour quality. We are talking about a plastic valve in a system that can drain your fuel tanks completely dry.

Not sure what Racor valves you are looking at. The ones referenced above are all brass (and I think must be to be UL listed for this use).

My Racor shutoff valves are brass fuel rated valves.

Thank you but the official Racor valves I find to be of very pour quality. We are talking about a plastic valve in a system that can drain your fuel tanks completely dry.

Our newer drain valves are brass, with a positive stop plug. See the Racor site: RK 19492 UL Listed Marine Shut-off Vavle Kit.

Had the plastic ones for a while, before these newer ones... but IIRC the twist-open/closed system was a bit fiddly...

-Chris

Anybody retro-fitted their Racor 900s with a petcock vs the cheap but expensive Racor valve? The thread on the bottom of the bowl is an impossible to easily match 5/8 x 11:banghead: Mine are 900FGs.

McMaster Carr has them, https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-valves Go for the UL Listed version (required for ABYC compliance), it only turns through 90 degrees, whereas the ordinary valve handle turns 360, and a female threaded outlet, into which you screw a plug, that too is required for ABYC compliance.

This article gives you the details, and has photos of the correct, and incorrect, valves.

Thx for the thread!! I too need to add a drain. I just stumbled on one made by Moeller that looks like the Racor. Check amazon. Moeller fuel shut off valve...but no safety plug

Thx for the thread!! I too need to add a drain. I just stumbled on one made by Moeller that looks like the Racor. Check amazon. Moeller fuel shut off valve...but no safety plug
I picked up the Moeller one and a plug that fits from amazon. Will install sometime this week and report back. It will be for my Racor 500
Screenshot_20190310-185622_Amazon%20Shopping.jpegScreenshot_20190310-185552_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom