Old 05-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Guru

R U a Lifetime or seasonal boater?

Yesterday I was checking a specific trawler owners web-site which I have been following for many years. The owners were a small family that spent over eight years aboard and I had the pleasure of meeting in San Diego a couple of years ago. Yesterday they announced they were done and placing the boat for sale.

I'm not sure why but I often feel a sense of sadness when I see adventurous people place their boat for sale and say they are done. For me its hard to understand how those who have accomplished so much with trawlers can walk away. I recognize everyone has their own reason and I'm no one to question their decision but when I look at myself I believe (god willing) we will always own a boat (of some type) as long as I can walk and breath. I guess I'm a "lifer".

Curious how others feel about this "emotional" part of leaving boating. Are you a true "lifer" or more a "seasonal" trawler owner?

Should lead to some good discussion.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I once thought I was a lifetime sailor. Now look at me.

Circumstances change. It could be health, wealth, or family circumstances that cause folks to make a change. I bought my boat from a gentleman who right up front told us that he was the reason they were selling the boat. He has parksinson's and can't negotiate the boat safely any longer.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061;
Curious how others feel about this "emotional" part of leaving boating. Are you a true "lifer" or more a "seasonal" trawler owner?
Should lead to some good discussion.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ack-22385.html
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Life throws many a curve ball.

After we bought Sonas we looked through the on-board documentation and saw what the previous owners have spent during Fall 2015 maintenance and upgrades - including 6K on a new Glendenning engine control system. All of the wooden rails had been newly caulked and varnished, and other upgrades done. Obviously they had plans to keep on going.

But between November and January something happened. We were told it was an elderly parent that needed them to go back and care for, but we suspect something much worse.

It should be a reminder to us all - our days are numbered. Use them well in service to others and ourselves.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We think of ourselves as lifers but that doesn't mean till death. There comes a time for everyone when change makes sense. We're not going to stick with something that no longer makes sense for us. Now, do I think until health just says I can't, I'll have a boat of some sort? Yes. But what it or they are will change. I feel a little sadness for those forced to change and doing so against their wishes. However, for those who change because it's time for them, I smile and wish them the best and am pleased that they had the nerve.

The people I know who have given up boating after years have either had compelling financial or health reasons or have simply done all the boating they desire. They've built other interests in their lives. I also know a couple that boated with just the two of them and they no longer felt safe doing so. They realized they weren't as strong, their reactions not as quick, and their vision not what it once was.

For some it was always for a particular part of their lives too. Maybe for quality time with their kids but now their kids are grown and scattered and they'd rather have land time with grandkids than water time alone.

I fully expect our average days a year to decline at some point. Right now it's about 280. Well, I wouldn't expect it to stay that high when we're in our 60's and 70's.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
These discussions always beg the question as to whether you would rather sit in your rocker and think of the dreams you had or of memories of cruises you have taken ?
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We're boaters because a car accident robbed us of sea kayaking; the rules to the game of Life got changed, and we rolled with it. No telling what the future holds, but Nature will play a big role, by whatever means!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I flew ultralight aircraft for 20 years at 100hrs per year. Finally decided I'd done it enough. Most flights just got boring.

Actually the air time per maintenance time was better on the UL. And I flew more often but I lived two city blocks from the hangar most of those 20yrs.

During the twenty year flying days one boat connected the two active boating halves .... canoes. Never stopped canoeing.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Always considered myself a lifer. We've been planning on retiring early and cruising full time for years. Had planned on going all the way around. As I get somewhat older the world seems a bit larger thou. Who knows.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
We bought our Mainship from a couple in their mid-80's who were done with boating. They left everything on board, dishes, bed sheets, tools. I hope my wife and I can last that long.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
At 53 and my wife 44, we still think of ourselves as lifers and in fact once we retire we expect to drop the boat into open water and just sail (well, motor) away to the farthest horizon. We're still at the point where we expect our boating activity to dramatically increase, not taper off. On the other hand, I got very into the Volvo Ocean Race last year, even went to Newport to watch the arrival and departure. Watching those guys (and women) though, I thought to myself that it's already too late for me to do something like that. Even if I won the lottery and didn't have to work tomorrow, I don't have the energy or endurance for cranking winches like a 17 year old, or even more maybe, the patience or tolerance for serious, prolonged physical discomfort that goes with it. A little wistful that my serious competitive sailing window is now gone, but it's okay. Life is still good and sweet. I suppose someday I might not be able to hop from the dock to the boat without worrying I might fall into the water and break a hip and drown, but I suppose then I'll spend more money on cruise tickets and watch the ocean go by from my chair on my stateroom balcony.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Lifer... till life says... No Mo!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:52 AM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Living aboard and boating can be 2 different things. Something often not well covered in many TF discussions.

After liveaboards, there are longer term cruisers...like snowbirders...

Then there are the somewhere in between all the way to weekend dockqueeners.

Watching liveaboards go to long term cruisers seems natural as one gets older. Smaller boat to care and pay for....and life on a rainy, windy dock can get old after 10 to 15 yeats. If you don't want to move the liveaboard to a friendlier environment...then a transition is probable.

So watching the different evolutions really dosent suprised me as I have made half of them, and already see another on the horizon.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:12 AM   #14
Guru

We have been boating for 27 years, most of it as "weekenders and vacationers". That's because we work, well I am right now.
Probably after a few more years I'll be ready to hang it up. I'll be close to 70.
So how about "lifetime seasonal"?
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
We have been boating for 27 years, most of it as "weekenders and vacationers". That's because we work, well I am right now.
Probably after a few more years I'll be ready to hang it up. I'll be close to 70.
Have been and will continue as basically seasonal - w/ some 1-2 mos "extended" cruises
We're getting close to 70 now but not ready to give it up yet.
We keep saying maybe 10 more but realize we will have to adjust to circumstances as they change.
We've known others that down sized instead of going out cold turkey. We've known others that held on too long.
Our goal is to adjust appropriately and graciously instead of fighting it...hope to find reasonable alternatives...charters...cruise w others...small commercial cruises????
Bottom line we can't control the situation only how we respond...
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Probably will always own a boat of some sort. This will likely be the only cruising boat I will own. Plan to keep it until I can't or don't want to cruise any more. But then you never know what tomorrow will bring....

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #17
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
With the unparalleled charm of Mystic Connecticut... how about "lifetime regional". I love Mystic and have its ambiance deep in my soul from many boat-visits while growing up. I've made a point to stop by since as a land-tourist while traveling on business or for family/friend visits.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #18
Guru

City: Vermont
We have been in boats our whole lives, and I don't see that changing. However the types of boat and boating has evolved quite a bit, and I expect it will continue. Currently we are doing the big cruising thing, but I admit to being torn between that and other interesting and fun activities back at home and elsewhere. But we decided that cruising was best done while we have our health and are still relatively young. I expect that after our long-range cruising is done, we will return to coastal cruising in the east. Then at some point just return to local boating. But who knows. I can contemplate 5+ years out, but typically plan for a 1-5 year horizon, and even then there are lots of uncontrolled external factors.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I have always lived by the water and played on it. Now I both live and play on it and I will continue to do so until it is no longer fun. Ain't life great when it's simple!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #20

Currently summer live-aboards. Both ready to get back to the dirt digs at about the three month mark. I could be a lifer if I had my shop and toys nearby. Spouse on the other hand....
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote