Old 05-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Regarding how long to boat?!?!

One of my dearest wishes is to (i.e. God willing - still being able to, health wise) go out on a boat and simply disappear - but not until I feel the time becomes right! I have carefully planned on this since my young years and can think of no better way to put an End-O Exclamation Point to life. Obviously I have no fear of what is coming in the "next step". As is often said... "It will be as it will be!"

My plans include epirb left activated on deactivated boat in some relatively calm off shore waters (30 to 40 miles out). Email, text, snail mail and other forms of communication available by then will that day simultaneously occur. On helm will be a nice note. My legal-will takes care of next boat ownership and because boat should be easily located for bringing her back into shore, under her own power... the boat should be able to be saved. No muss no fuss left aboard. Well, maybe a 357 mag if it happens to flip aboard while I fly backwards off gunnel or swim step! You got the picture...

At 64 yrs and good health I feel there is chance for 20 to 30 more years before my plan may need to be accomplished. I hope dear Linda can traverse all these years with me. Up to her how she may want to go out. But, she is surely invited aboard my last journey to sea, however, that is only if she wants to end-o in the same fashion at the same time; otherwise... it's me alone. She's soon to be 67.

Till that fateful day I (we) plan to live life to the hilt... boating, swimming, playing, inventing, working, reading, writing, loving, traveling and all else that's included. Well, I see it's time for me to go into my weight lifting exercise room - to keep in shape for all the great years yet to come!

Happy Eventual-Endo-Life Daze! - Art

PS: I and my brother helped care for my 90 yr old mom during her end months. It was not pretty, at all. Gruesome is the word that comes to mind. Currently, Linda and I are caring for her 92 yr old mom's end months. Once again... It's not pretty, at all. I firmly believe that the actual "end" month[s] do not need to be this much torture to oneself and to one's family members. Sooooo... I do not feel that a person should cling onto life for to up to the very last second, especially when outcome is obvious and there is no upside possible. I am happily planning my own eventual "End-O"... as stated above! No muss - No fuss!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Life long... so far
My hope is that the end of my boating comes with me in my 90's sitting on the aft deck of my latest expedition yacht after watching a perfect sunset while sitting in some atoll somewhere in the Pacific.

Preferably after my 30 year old well endowed Scandinavian "nurse" has just fluffed my pillow and filled up my margarita glass..
One can dream.
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Currently summer live-aboards. Both ready to get back to the dirt digs at about the three month mark. I could be a lifer if I had my shop and toys nearby. Spouse on the other hand....
I think we each have durations that work for us. For my wife and myself it is around six weeks, occasionally stretched to two months. Then we want to spend a couple or three weeks at home, catching up. We spend about 240 days a year on extended cruises of three weeks or more and actually boat about 280 days a year. However, we still need that regular shot of home.

You might be shocked how much less lengthy the three months would seem with a week or two break in the middle to fly home.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
The previous caretaker of our boat owned it for many years. It traveled the east coast from NJ to Florida a few times. He enjoyed it for sure...Until he died. Everything stayed on the boat including his 100 ton certificates and most of the logs going back more than ten years. I'll often just sit and read them. I'm a lifer too, having been on the water all my life, but our usage has changed to casual cruising 2-5 days at a time. Works for us at this stage in life and likely will for the near term future until we just can't do it anymore...
Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art;
One of my dearest wishes is to...go out on a boat and simply disappear
Ooooh, Art.
If only you knew how much I grinned and nodded along with you.

When biking, the kids always said when I could no longer put the left leg down without falling over, they would make a seatbelt from an old rode, tie me in the Mustang saddle, duct tape my hands to the bars, kick 'er in gear and give me a Thelma and Louise send off into an ocean below.
Best of both worlds.

My dad went from good to gone in 7 weeks.
He was in a training hospital.
Became a guinea pig.
Sat with him every day.
Cruelest thing I ever saw.
Not me, thank you.

Dad did boat right up to the day before he encountered that god awful gale, though.

I'll go down with a big heavy single use anchor.
Unless I have a stroke later today...
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Last summer I sold my 13' Whaler so I now own only 4 boats. 1 in NJ and 3 in FL. Getting tired of maintaining them all. Yes, call me a Lifer. Cylinder index is down to 33.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #27
Guru

City: West Coast
I would have to be in pretty bad shape to not have a boat. (I have visions of using my crane, which has a wireless remote, to get myself on board and up to the flybridge.) My daughters have all remarked that they can't imagine not owning a boat, so I suspect the boat (or at least some boat) is here to stay. If anything, we may get a second boat -- I am thinking about a 36' ish center console with 2 or 3 big outboards for when I want to either get somewhere in a hurry or fish locally (in a hurry).
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
I am 50yo and am fortunate to have elders around me. They are in their 70s. Have cruised extensively on both sailboats and trawlers. One had a Krogen 54 that they sold when they got back...allegedly quitting. He wasn't done. He figured he would go looking for a Mainship Pilot type boat just to cruise around and do day trips. He came home with a Grand Harbour 59. And went cruising again. He just recently sold it. He said it was because he likes to do his own maintenance and he is getting too old for that. For his age he is in excellent health.

One of our other brothers came home from cruising and sold his beloved DeFever 49 CPMY and thought he wanted to buy some land in East Texas and spend the rest of his life on a tractor. That didn't last long. He still has that land but felt the sea calling and impulsively bought a new Carver 43. He never really liked the boat. It is a 2007 model and has 80 hours on it and he still owns it but is for sale. About 5 years ago he bought a new DeFever 53 Pilothouse. He has cruised on it for a few years and I saw him Sunday and he said he was leaving again!!! I was ecstatic when I heard the news. Very happy for him!!!!

The reason I tell these tales is because it got me to thinking....when will I know it is time to hang it up??? I don't think it will be any time soon. I am all ate up with the boating bug and have been for 30 years. I have a lil girlie that would move aboard tomorrow if I gave the word....so I think she's on board wherever and whatever we do. I think I will do it until I am physically unable.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
How do we know we are done?

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #30
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Never a live-a-board, but boating for 50 years. Does that count? How much longer is debatable.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Never a live-a-board, but boating for 50 years. Does that count? How much longer is debatable.
50 years doses count. Heck Don, you've spent more time boating then most people do working.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
50 years doses count. Heck Don, you've spent more time boating then most people do working.
That was a low blow, Larry. Don't tell my son that's running the business.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #33
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not sure Don...

There is definitely a mind twist when there's nothing ashore but say a car.....

Not saying liveaboards are better or more experienced boaters...but chances are they understand their electrical and plumbing systems pretty well if they have been doing it for many years...,as these systems always seem to quit in the middle of the night or rainstorm.....

Some non liveaboards do cruise enough and long enough to understand many of the issues....but that "no place to go" feeling is definitely a strong one.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post

The reason I tell these tales is because it got me to thinking....when will I know it is time to hang it up??? I think I will do it until I am physically unable.
That's pretty much the answer. You'll not really know, you'll just have to. I think it will be a lot like an athlete. Great basketball players can't face the thought of it being time. Their bodies tell them. Great hitters in baseball, the batting averages tell them. We don't easily part with those activities we love so much. We don't do it when it's time we should. We do it sometime later when we just don't really have a choice.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #35
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Yea, I think you're right. I'll quit when I don't have a choice...maybe.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #36
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I'm coming up on 65 years of being a boater. All power boats except one sailboat when I was a teenager. Now I have 3 boats and no plans to add or delete any in the near future.

I hope to quit boating right after they bury me and I hope that ain't any time soon .
Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I'm coming up on 65 years of being a boater. All power boats except one sailboat when I was a teenager. Now I have 3 boats and no plans to add or delete any in the near future.

I hope to quit boating right after they bury me and I hope that ain't any time soon .
Best one yet!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #38
Guru

Responses

I just completed reading all the great posts and feel good that I'm not alone planning (and praying) I can do the boating "thing" until its time to go. The amount of time spent aboard is not as important to me as is knowing we have the boat to use whenever the time is right. Having lived aboard (part time, 3 -4 days a week, over five years) we know we are not cut out as full time live aboard but we sure are happier when we are aboard. In a perfect world after retirement I would like to see us aboard for a month or two then return home for month before starting it all over again.

Thanks to everyone for your posts.

John T
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

I guess by that note then I'll quit right after they take my ashes and scatter them at sea.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #40
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I always considered myself a life long boater, but a cancer diagnosis three months ago looks like it is going to change that.

TDunn is online now   Reply With Quote