questions question and more questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

driller66

Hi all you sailors and sailorettes, sitting here on my 40 foot monk ,having just finished re-doing the thrust inhibitor(Damper) and replacing the shaft saver, all went well and on to the next project. I have a simple question which may sound silly but "Trawler" and a "Yacht". The next question I have is more of a mechanical issue and I'm only seeking discussion or ideas as many of you have MUCH more experience than myself with this issue. I have a 6 cylinder Perkins engine, upon start up it idles fine 600-700 rpm. After warm up it idles at 1000-1100 rpm which is too high. all the input I've received so far leads me to believe there is an issue with the injector pump. (governor or metering valve). My question is ,if possible could not just dial down the idle ? It will idle slower upon start up, but will top out at whatever I set it(600-700 rpm).
OK now, Feedback?
Many many thanks for your continued interest and support with these "little " things.
Happy sailing!!

Hi all you sailors and sailorettes, sitting here on my 40 foot monk ,having just finished re-doing the thrust inhibitor(Damper) and replacing the shaft saver, all went well and on to the next project. I have a simple question which may sound silly but "Trawler" and a "Yacht". The next question I have is more of a mechanical issue and I'm only seeking discussion or ideas as many of you have MUCH more experience than myself with this issue. I have a 6 cylinder Perkins engine, upon start up it idles fine 600-700 rpm. After warm up it idles at 1000-1100 rpm which is too high. all the input I've received so far leads me to believe there is an issue with the injector pump. (governor or metering valve). My question is ,if possible could not just dial down the idle ? It will idle slower upon start up, but will top out at whatever I set it(600-700 rpm).
OK now, Feedback?
Many many thanks for your continued interest and support with these "little " things.
Happy sailing!!

Driller66, I suggest you PM RickB with that question. I think he would be best able to answer that one, although no doubt others will also have views on it. In the end however, it is often best to just pay for a decent diesel mechanic on the marina to lay hands on and advise/adjust re this sort of 'running' issue, as there is nothing quite like 'being there'.

ALL engines require more throttle during the warm up period.

Sounds like your idle was set with a warm engine , so simply slow the idle to what ever you desire while warm.

Then IF it will not continue to operate on cold start it might be a problem.

We set the engine throttle to shut down the engine by simply closing the throttle , no cable or cut off solenoid required
A simple spring is set so simply closing but not pulling and holding the throttle closed is required.

KISS.

ON cold start the idle is hand set to 700rpm for warm up (da book number) and by time the anchor is secured the isle is 900. This is normal.

The "cure" is a fairly simple governor adjustment involving the idle spring then resetting the idle speed. Have a tech do it for you unless you have the manual and are comfortable doing it yourself.

My engine idles at 700rpm fine when it's warm but not when cold. I set the engine speed at 800 cold. This insures that when I back out of my slip and cut the throttle to an idle the engine will NOT die. So when the engine warms up she's idling at almost 1000rpm. I find no problem w the higher idle speed at all but If I was over propped the slightly higher idle speed may not be acceptable. Boat speed at idle would be fairly high in the harbor and marina. One of the downsides of being over propped. And shifting in and out of gear often going slow to compensate for the high idle and/or over propping is not a problem if one shifts rather quickly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom