Old 05-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Eric, drive over and talk with him instead of making an assumption. I do not have your answer, but I'd be willing to bet you would get the answer if you talked directly with him.

I don't know what you have against Lehman's nor do I really care because they are the engines we happen to have and are pretty good engines from what little I have talked with people over the years. They are still in service in a few thousand boats so they must have something positive about them. I must admit I am curious though on how many years you had a boat or boats with Lehman's in it.

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #22
Guru

RT,

To clarify my last post about oil change could go to 200 hours. That was engine oil, not injector pump oil. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #23

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
Keith, did Bob discuss improvements made to later model Lehmans? (i.e. American Diesel Corp's N6-140). My understanding is the cooling system was improved (particularly concerning the #6 cylinder, which had been a weak link in overheating problems), also, the injectors I'm told have a greater "return flow through" for better cooling, and lastly, the air-intake is maintenance free. Personally, I like these engines for their economy, reliability, and overall ease of maintenance and availability of parts. What more could you ask for in a recreational power plant?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
I've not heard of this problem on any other engine.
Not to be argumentative but his is a common issue in marine installations.
It is discussed often on "boatdiesel". When I did my repower years ago with a new Cummins 6BTA, I went thru the dipstick calibration procedure.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Personally, I like these engines for their economy, reliability, and overall ease of maintenance and availability of parts. What more could you ask for in a recreational power plant?
I started off not liking the Lehman, but it seems to be growing on me. Their downside is the injection pump because it is intolerant of any air in the fuel, plus those oil changes are a PIA in my opinion, however I have now changed to a 100 hour schedule (was 50 per the manual) and that's tolerable.

Bob Smith is very old school, sometimes his attitude is a little tough, but he sure knows his Lehmans and I respect that. I suppose if I had to answer the same questions for 50 years I'd have a tough attitude as well.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #26
Guru

North Star,

Richard,he did not discuss any of the American Marine engines. He focused on the 120 & 135's. Feeling pretty comfortable about adjusting valves right now. A few of us are going to get together and help each other do our boats. Rob from Saga will join us, he took the class as well.

With Rob's help we noticed that my oil hoses are in backwards. They currently go from the block to the cooler and then to the filter. It should be the opposite, block to filter then cooler. Plus they are the High pressure lines with a smaller I.D. So I will be replacing those along with the breather tube on the valve cover. I currently have the copper tube like Rob had when it fell off and killed his engine. Simple fix, replace with hose!

I learned a lot and had a great time with everyone in the class.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
North Star,

Richard,he did not discuss any of the American Marine engines. He focused on the 120 & 135's. Feeling pretty comfortable about adjusting valves right now. A few of us are going to get together and help each other do our boats. Rob from Saga will join us, he took the class as well.

With Rob's help we noticed that my oil hoses are in backwards. They currently go from the block to the cooler and then to the filter. It should be the opposite, block to filter then cooler. Plus they are the High pressure lines with a smaller I.D. So I will be replacing those along with the breather tube on the valve cover. I currently have the copper tube like Rob had when it fell off and killed his engine. Simple fix, replace with hose!

I learned a lot and had a great time with everyone in the class.
when I change the oil hoses to the larger diameter I picked up 10 pounds of oil pressure. I never would have thought that was the case
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #28
Guru

Motion 30,

That is exactly what Bob said would happen, an increase in oil pressure. Easy enough to do and reasonably priced from American Diesel too.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Keith we actually drove by there today. Went to Mary Ann's Kitchen for lunch. Wanted to use the marina rest room and then saw all the tents. Went elsewhere. I've been to Trawler Fests and a lot of boat shows but at this point I'd rather work on my own boat.

How many Lehmans have I had? And I suppose you'd tell me I don't know anything about children if I hadn't had any .. right? None of either but Wash state and the providence of BC thought I knew enough to teach high school.

I had a Sabre 120 that used the same base engine as the Lehman. It was reported to be blueprinted and I liked the engine. That was before I got on TF so at the time I knew little about them. The Lehman reminds me of the Buick straight eight except the Buicks were smooth and quiet. There's a lot of old Lehmans around the trawler world but the fact that many survived may be a tribute to their durability. More likely though it's that most all trawlers got the Lehman engine and replacing them is difficult now for people that can only afford an old boat. I saw one (Lehman) the other day at Harbor Marine priced at $15,000 ($13 w core). If it was me I'd buy an Iveco or some other new engine.

If I had a boat like yours Keith I'd be very keen on taking very good care of the engines too. I had an old Perkins and replaced it w a new Mitsubishi. I think the wonderful thing about the Lehmans is that they can run on for years and years given decent care. And a lot of trawler guys have Lehmans and good maintance costs little? So by that yardstick ther'e great. But as an engine among engines I think they are just average.

Bob Smith now he certainly is'nt average. Way above as evidenced by his strong following.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #30
Guru

Eric,

Too bad you did not stop and try to find Bob. He is an interesting guy that I think you'd have great conversations with. My question on how many Lehman's you had owned was purely based on what you might have experienced with them. Nothing to do with children or teaching. Bob talked some about the Sabre engines too, but I really did not know them so I did not really tune into that discussion much. I do not have enough experience myself to judge one engine over another and the thought of repowering with twins is out of the question for us. I walked down the docks there this morning and had no interest in going aboard the boats for the reason you mentioned, I have a boat I like and am enjoying working on it. But I will confess that only two boats caught my eye, a Bill Garden boat and an Alaskan 46. I went aboard the Alaskan and it was beautiful. They spent a huge amount of money and the boat shows wonderfully. They even actually use it 4 months out of the year which was nice to hear. Both boats I liked were actually wood boats. Classic lines and character.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #31
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Kolive,

Are you going to torque your heads prior to adjusting the valves? I just set our valve lash last month and checked the head bolts for proper torque.

On a side note we are slip neighbors with SAGA. If you guys need the tools for this project I would be happy to loan them out.

Bob
Old 05-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BC. There was a thread about whether or not one should re torque head bolts in the recent past. Quite mixed opinions as I recall but I DON'T recall what thread it was-go figure. Maybe one of the younger whipper snappers can put you onto it.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #33
Guru

Just curious if Mr. Smith mentioned it is all. I had read that thread also and chose to check mine since it was open.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #34
Guru

Bob,

Yes, he did say to check the torque before adjusting. We were planning on doing that as part of the baseline info on our engines. We have only owned our GB for a little over a year so I want it in my maintainance records. Pretty easy to do too. Thanks for the offer of tools. I just got feeler gauges in the mail today and I think we have a torque wrench but will keep your offer in. Ind. thank you very much. Small world out there, next to Saga. They are wonderful people. W had a great time laughing about stories from the Okanagon at a Willard Rendezvous with them. Do you know John and Penny in Second Wind on your dock too? We are cruising buddies and I taught school with John in Yakima.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:51 PM   #35
Guru

We just know them in passing. My wife Jill is a teacher here in Bellingham. It is indeed a small world! Did you make it to Roche Harbor last weekend?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #36
Guru

Yes, I did. I went over in a friends 1969 GB 36. We had the starboard shaft produce a violent wobble vibration and had to lock the shaft down and come home on one engine. We were only at the Rendezvous for Saturday boat tours. Regardless, it was a fun trip. We overnighted in Garrison Bay.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #37
Guru

Which boat? We were on Ebbtide, 32' with a hardtop over the cockpit and blue canvas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140515_200216.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	29859
Old 05-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #38
Guru

We were out on the guest dock by Customs for a few hours. My friend had to run his boat because he had a new shaft installed and new PSS dripless seals and cutlass bearings on both shafts. I have not heard what the outcome was yet. North Harbor Diesel is doing the work.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #39
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Re: Post #32. Mr. psneeld was kind enough to "refresh" my memory. Lehman 120 head retorque
Old 05-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #40

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
Bob had mentioned at one point about running the boat up to WOT and letting it get, or try to get, to the 2500RPM which is its max rated RPM. he then said to bring it down 300 RPMs and run it for 5 or 10 minutes as a stress test.

I know these engines are rated for the higher RPMs but the general consensus from everyone I hear is 1800 is the highest normal RPM they would run. Most run around 1600 or so.

I have an old boat because it is what I can afford. I would hate to have to spend 15K to swap a motor. I will try my best to take care of this one. I agree with Kieth on Bob Smith. The class was informative and fun. Got to meet some really nice people.

Jeff

Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote