Questions about the differences in 34 and 38'ers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monterey10

Veteran Member
* Two mid 80s Taiwanese trawlers.* One a 34'er, the other a 38'er.* Both are single engine boats.* Both have glass decks and were well cared for.* Both are the same price.* In our area, the 34 and 38 would need to be in a 40' slip.* So, the slip fees would be the same.

* So, the question is, for traveling and overall use, is the 38'er a better deal?* I would guess the 38 would be better on the open Ocean.* The 38 has many*improvements such as: double kitchen sink,*seperate bathtub/head,*full sized refrigerator.**The 38 has a desk and queen bed in the aft cabin.

**Are there advantages to*owning the 34?**
confuse.gif

* Thanks*in advance for your time.*

Focus on the condition of the powerplant too. Have you seen both boats in person? How do they look when you turn on magna-vision and look at the details? Yachtword links?

That's just it, the market is shaking some of the better boats out at decent prices.

The broker thought that the 38 would have better sea keeping due to a longer water line.

You need a new broker then, because between 34 and 38, I don't think there will be a noticeable difference. The skipper is the main difference in sea keeping ability. Not the waterline length. Sure, some, but not much. I'd much rather have a better condition and more reliable 34' than a 38' that has issues.

There are sooooooo many other factors than length to consider well before stability based solely on length. It's like buying a used car based on weight and calling it a safer car. Give us more details to go on. Where are you? What are the specifics? What is your planned usage? The boat market is very vigorous right now. Don't let it catch you off guard.

Two mid 80s Taiwanese trawlers. One a 34'er, the other a 38'er. Both are single engine boats. Both have glass decks and were well cared for.

These would be very rare boats indeed

Some TT did not get a teak deck overlay , but that is not what makes a "glass deck".

All fiberglass is required , not a glass layer slathered over a plywood "core"..

A knowledgible on old TT survey fellow will need to be found , NOT the brokers guy.

There is very little operational difference between a 34 and a 38 , in the SAME condition the bigger boat will be more comfortable, probably carry more fuel and water and have larger spaces to fix stuff in.

FF

Craig, you neglected to give the specifics on the boats you want info on, what make are they, so without that it is very hard to answer your questions. If you would like our take on a Marine Trader 34 you can visit our Beach House web site. Chuck

Don't know if this example relates to the boat make you're looking at, but the GB32 and the GB36, both of which have identical hull forms, ride and handle pretty much the same from everything I've heard from GB32 owners. The GB36 is heavier and that probably makes for a somewhat less "bouncy" boat but I suspect the difference is very, very slight.

With a couple of exceptions, all GB32s are single-engine boats while GB36s could be had with single or twin engines. The main advantage of the GB36 is more space. The main advantage of the GB32 is a lower purchase cost (assuming boats in the same condition), a smaller slip requirement, and perhaps lower insurance costs. Maintenance and service costs will be lower than a GB36 with two engines.

I would not consider the Grand Banks, Island Gypsy, CHB, Puget Trawler, etc. suitable for open ocean cruising. They are ideal for so-called "coastal cruising" which can include short runs of open ocean water but you are not out in the open days away from a landfall. So you can pick and choose when you want to cross the "open ocean" water and you can get out of it in a relatively short time if conditions start going sour.

So to say that a 34' "taiwan trawler" is less seaworthy than a 38' boat of the same make and configuration is, I think, incorrect. If it were us making the decision, we would determine which boat had the most suitable amount of space for our needs, had the kind and number of enginers that we preferred, best met our budget, and so on. The seakeeping characteristics of both boats, assuming the same hull-form and basic superstructure configuration, will be so similar as to not be a factor in the decision as to which is the better boat for us.

*Thanks....

* The 38 has a double kitchen sink, seperate bathtub away from the head, larger refrigerator, salon.** All nice to have.* All for little or no increase in costs.

The double sink was a must on our list. That's a big plus!

Monterey10 wrote:

Thanks....

The 38 has a double kitchen sink, seperate bathtub away from the head, larger refrigerator, salon.** All nice to have.* All for little or no increase in costs.

You aren't really picking a 38' over a 34' based solely on this, are you? Please say you aren't. ;)

Well, that gets back to the original question.* What are the advantages to the 34.** I would guess, better fuel mileage?* Shallower draft (good for skinny water along the ICW), less maintenance costs. Less shipping costs (between the coasts, and PNW)

My Bayliner (shown left) is remarkable in that it can be trailered down the freeway to the different boating areas.* It's not fuel efficient, has limited range,* and the berths/head are just tiny.

-- Edited by Monterey10 on Wednesday 2nd of December 2009 09:16:31 AM

-- Edited by Monterey10 on Wednesday 2nd of December 2009 09:17:38 AM

You keep asking questions, but ignoring ours. So, as much as I would like to help you, I cannot. Good luck.

SURVEY SURVEY SURVEY SURVEY

Did I mention a boat survey by both a good engine and good boat guy? Double sinks, - wallpaper color - dinghy oars etc - all comes later. Do not rely upon opinions of forum members for a final vessel decision*- we've not seen any of them. Until you and yours can decide which boat to take to survey, keep looking.

Monty,
** The difference in fuel use, draft, maintenance, shipping aren't going to be anything noticeable between a 34' and a 36'.* Most of your questions have already been commented on.* Find a boat you like,*get a survey, buy and enjoy.*

If it is the same....go for bigger. The only issue I can think of would be the 38 might be alittle harder to handle. ALso, when you go to get maintenance based on hull length(ie bottom job) it will cost you more. Transient slips will cost you more....not really insignificant when we are talking dollars per foot and multiple nights. But this should probably still not scare you away from bigger as long as you think you are getting value out of that extra 4 feet. There are boats that are the exact same boats...except one model may have a 5 foot cockpit. That is where you may NOT be getting value out of that extra 5 feet....just depends on how much one values a cockpit.

* The work the owners put into some of these boats I looked at*is amazing.* Taking on these repairs is some serious work.* It's clear when they started that they never had any intentions of selling, until the economy tanked.

Why would someone attempt to sell an old boat for a huge loss because "the economy tanked"?

Far less costly to the the life out of the "investment" and sell years from now.

Just keeping a boat can be really inexpensive ,

2 years on a mooring or on a private dock is less costly than one electric toy.

FF

Back
Top Bottom