Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #21
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Kawini, one more point.....

The perfect boat has room for 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner and sleeps 2!

Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #23

City: Edmonds
When we were looking for a bigger boat we looked at lots of boats and settled on the brand and model we wanted. In our case it was a Bayliner 4788 with Cummins diesels, built in 1997-2002. Once we chose that we looked at half a dozen in person and looked at every listing on yachtworld.com. After you have walked through six versions of the same boat you get a very good idea of what is good and bad and what you'll need to do.

I made a spreadsheet list of all suitable boats including options like dinghy, electronics, watermaker, diesel heat, etc. I called brokers with pending sales and asked if they wanted a backup offer. In each case they told me the sale price. This gave us a very realistic guideline for making our offers.

We did not use a buyer's broker. When we made our offers we found that a broker worked harder to get a deal done if there was no shared commission. When you make your offer stipulate that everything stays on the boat. The first boat we bought, the seller stripped out lines, fenders, lifejackets, map cards, charts and more, which cost us well over a thousand dollars in unexpected purchases

I brought three friends who were very knowledgable about Cummins engines, electronics, and the other systems. They caught several issues on the sea trial that saved me at least $5,000.

We made a realistic budget of work the boat would require. We have spent about $25,000 on diesel heat, bottom paint, batteries, electrical repairs, etc. A big yard did all the work for the PO during the prior six years and virtually everything they did they did badly. Talk with lots of people and make your list of mechanics to avoid as well as mechanics that are recommended by multiple people. My go-to mechanic is slow and underestimates how long his work will take. On the positive side he is thorough, meticulous, and does beautiful work. I always mentally double his estimated work times, pay him promptly, and treat him well. As a result he likes working with me and will prioritize my boat if I have a deadline on a repair.

Good luck!
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #24

City: Santa Fe, NM
Again, everybody thanks for your input. I really appreciate it, and the feedback definitely helps to get me oriented and realistic as to the purchase.

Robster - thanks for your thoughtful advice. What you write confirms something else that I read here, which is that a boat is always in worse shape than you think when you buy it. It appears as though your very careful due diligence helped you to minimize the number and the severity of the surprises you had after your purchase. I will definitely take your advice to heart. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share (either here in the forum or by way of a PM) the lists of good and not-so-good mechanics to avoid in your area. Also, may I ask what model of Cummins you have in your new boat. I'm looking at a boat with twin Cummins, and when I spoke with a broker yesterday about the boat (who is not the listing broker), he expressed a little concern about the Cummins 555s.

Thanks again.

Steve
Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #25

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
I am commenting on the previous page,
On my two previous boats all systems were very easy to get to, not hidden with panels, no crawling needed, etc. I learned how to change the oil, change filters, all the minor things to keep the boat out of the shop.
I would say, if you only to learn how to regularly change the fluids, belts and filters your going to be ahead of the pack. Don't think that you need the knowledge to break down a motor and re-install to enjoy owing a boat. You can choose what you do and what you don't. Doing basic maintenance will cut down significantly on cost though.
Make maintenance though a good portion of your ownership experience and selling the boat will be much easier. A well maintained boat sells first prior to neglected boats. (In most cases).
Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
(Steve-sent PM)
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #27

City: Edmonds
Steve,

I wouldn't post names of companies or mechanics I don't like. Too easy to get sued. If you get a boat and are in Greater Seattle pm me and I will give you my opinions. My engines are Cummins 330s. Great engines. The 330s and 370s are essentially the same engines with different fuel pumps. How is the boat search going?

Rob
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #28
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Craig's comments re the survey are right on. Insurance surveys are likely the only ones you can get your hands on before you hire your own surveyor, and those are worthless to you as a purchaser. If you have the knowledge you can do your own survey, but i agree with GFC that you likely will have little or no practical boat knowledge if this is to be your first boat. The insurance survey will have examined the boat for likely causes of fire, sinking or other frequent claims. It will tell you nothing about the condition of the engines, electronics, house systems, etc. All that will come from a purchaser's survey.
Such things as whether you will prefer galley up or down, twins or single, CQR or Bruce, and a myriad of other very personal preferences need years of experience to determine, so your first boat is going to be a mishmash of those options, some of which will work for you and some wont. So go into this thinking that your first boat is to learn on, your second or third, is to enjoy.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #29
Guru

It is worth asking a seller for any survey, even the one he got at purchase. You can`t rely on it, legally or practically, but it`s a good starting point. See if the seller fixed the issues it found.
My PO of one year (his executor actually) offered me theirs,a year old and not all positive. It picked things my guy didn`t.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
..................What sucks for me about my boat search is that most powerboats dont have enough sleeping accommodations for our family (6). I cruised with my dad during my youth on a 24 ft sailboat. It slept 4 people, 2 in the fo'c'sle and 2 at the dinette. It seems like as powerboats get bigger, they just get bigger. I'm sure I know why, but its not easy finding a 40 ft powerboat that sleeps 8. I'm finding that in general, about half the 40ft trawlers will sleep 6 with a converted dinette, but no more.
Often I find myself looking at sailboats that seem to sleep more people as the size goes up- but then I think about all the years I spent standing at the helm getting soaked in my rain gear.
Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just venting.
Bligh, you're right. Having had a 26' yacht which could sleep 6 easily, I absolutely agree. However, the reason is much more living space, and also because of design differences, no quarter berths. In yachts, most of the space is berths, and bugger all living space, not to mention cramped toilet/shower facilities. However, cunning design can bring dividends, and it was for this reason the cruiser I owned in charter years ago, the Cuddles 35, later re-launched as the Resort 35, was so popular as a charter fleet boat. Envisage if you will a 35 footer, with quite decent saloon/galley area, and roomy cockpit, with rounded stern and built-in seating, transom door and generous swim step, yet able to sleep 10, yes, 10. By having 4 singles stacked 2 up, 2 down in the bow, a separate master double, with en suite no less, large separate shower/toilet, and another double down a small c'way under the raised dinette, which itself could be made into another double if needed. Not bad eh...?
Relaxation Boat Hire - Resort 35'

http://www.churchpointcharter.com.au/cruiser1.htm
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Bligh, you're right. Having had a 26' yacht which could sleep 6 easily, I absolutely agree. However, the reason is much more living space, and also because of design differences, no quarter berths. In yachts, most of the space is berths, and bugger all living space, not to mention cramped toilet/shower facilities. However, cunning design can bring dividends, and it was for this reason the cruiser I owned in charter years ago, the Cuddles 35, later re-launched as the Resort 35, was so popular as a charter fleet boat. Envisage if you will a 35 footer, with quite decent saloon/galley area, and roomy cockpit, with rounded stern and built-in seating, transom door and generous swim step, yet able to sleep 10, yes, 10. By having 4 singles stacked 2 up, 2 down in the bow, a separate master double, with en suite no less, large separate shower/toilet, and another double down a small c'way under the raised dinette, which itself could be made into another double if needed. Not bad eh...?
Relaxation Boat Hire - Resort 35'
My gawd... 10 people on a 35' boat? Possibly powerboat designers are smart afterall.

I cant imagine dealing with that many people on a boat.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
My gawd... 10 people on a 35' boat? Possibly powerboat designers are smart afterall.

Neither can I.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plaque.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	22122  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #33
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:

please, please ...give me some air
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #34
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
10 bodies??? No wonder they called it Cuddles...

Old 08-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #35
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Just an observation:

At any gathering of a lot of boats, the smaller the boat, the bigger the number of people on it.

I think we all move to larger boats to get away from the crowding that takes place on our first boats as our families grow, then by the time we can afford a bigger boat the kids stop coming along, so we have space for them, but usually cruise with just the two of us.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #36
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Kawini, one more point.....

Agree, but we found we could squeeze in 6 for dinner (five here and room for one more):

Old 08-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:

Most I've had on-board were a total of nine: six adults (one pregnant) and three children. It was OK, but limited to three hours.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Most I've had on-board were a total of nine:
We've had as many as 6 for cocktails & dinner but the salon table only seats 3 comfortably. For that reason, we use the table as a buffet and sit in the cockpit which is a lot more comfortable. Remember, you want your guests to be really comfortable or they won't come back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3967.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	22132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4394.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	22133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3971.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	22134  

Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #39

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawini View Post
Again, everybody thanks for your input. I really appreciate it, and the feedback definitely helps to get me oriented and realistic as to the purchase.

Robster - thanks for your thoughtful advice. What you write confirms something else that I read here, which is that a boat is always in worse shape than you think when you buy it. It appears as though your very careful due diligence helped you to minimize the number and the severity of the surprises you had after your purchase. I will definitely take your advice to heart. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share (either here in the forum or by way of a PM) the lists of good and not-so-good mechanics to avoid in your area. Also, may I ask what model of Cummins you have in your new boat. I'm looking at a boat with twin Cummins, and when I spoke with a broker yesterday about the boat (who is not the listing broker), he expressed a little concern about the Cummins 555s.

Thanks again.

Steve
Sent PM
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #40
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Our record for the number of guests on board was last year for the Christmas boat parade. We had 22 on board including GW and myself. They were spread between the salon, the cockpit and the flybridge so it didn't seem crowded at all. People were constantly moving from one area to another, in part to enjoy the ride from the different vantage points, but all the food was in the salon so they had to go there to dine.