Question on suitability , 47' MT Tradewinds cockpit trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bradlesh

Veteran Member
Looking to buy my first offshore cruiser. Experienced on inland waters and Chesapeake bay but not offshore. Planning cruising bahamas for 6 months (extended sea trial) then traveling eastern and western Caribbean. Wondering what the forum thinks about this boat. I would be installing paravanes for added stability.

1994 47ft marine trader Tradewinds
Twin Ford Lehman Diesel Engines - 250 HP each

Hydraulic Steering at both upper and lower helm stations
enerator - 6.5 KW

Battery Charger - Newmar 50 amp

Heart Interface Inverter

12 Volt System

Five Batteries
VHF - 2 Standard Horizon - Eclipse, radios. One up and one down

GPS - Raymarine L755

Speed - Raymarine

Depth - Raymarine

Autopilot - Raymarine - new 2006

Radar - Raymarine RL 70

Compass - Danforth

Compass - Azimuth 1000

Satellite Phone - KVH Tracphone SYStem

Anchors - 45 lb Bruce w/ 90 ' of chain and 150 ' nylon rode
- 33 lb Bruce w/ 60 ' of chain and 150 ' nylon rode

Anchor Windlass - Ideal 12V Electric - horizontal - w/ dual capstan on Bow Pulpit

Bradlesh,

I didn't see stabilizers mentioned. I don't think I would require stabilizers in the Bahamas, but would definitely want them for the Caribbean. I have spent winters in both locations aboard my sailboat.

Gordon

I forgot to mention that in the Caribbean, I would definitely want minimum of 220 feet of chain with 100 feet of line attached. Also, it is good to have an HF radio so that you can monitor Chris Parker for the latest in weather. You wont' always have cell phone or wi-fi connectivity in Caribbean. The cell phone coverage in the Exumas and further south can also be spotty.

I was happy that my 20-000 pound sailboat had a 60 pound Manson Supreme anchor. It was larger than normally called for, but I slept real well.

The chart plotter is older vintage. I have two that I am thinking of replacing. Still, if you have up to day charts, they will probably do.

How many amp hours of batteries doe the boat have. You need to work out a power budget and determine how long/often you will need to run the generator and engine to keep them in working order.

The feature I truly loved the most on our blue water boat was the water maker. I would never again go off shore without one.

There are all kinds of other things I would add, but many folks cruise the world with less.

Gordon

I know nothing about those water but...

One thing that I would want is a VHF radio with DSC tied into my GPS. If one of yours has it, then great. You just need to acquire an FCC radio license and an MMSI (both take about 10 minutes of online form filling then it is done). Enter the MMSI into the radio and you are set.

Not sure about rode length, but I think I would be much more comfortable with a larger anchor. For that boat I would be looking at about 60lbs for your primary. Maybe swap your smaller bruce for something larger?

Again, I know nothing....

Several things but first, current boat condition and necessary front end fix up money trumps all.

Now:
  • No stabilizers as mentioned
  • Water maker required..
  • AC, if not you'll need it
  • Too small anchor, 80+ lbs of a modern anchor needed and about 350 feet of chain
  • Very dated radar
  • No on Xantrex inverter. Get a better one with a charger
  • Get a laptop charting system like CE or Trident
If it were me, I'd keep looking for a more serious cruising ready vessel.

Boat has a water maker & AC and looking to add additional power via solar panels. Not too concerned with the creature comfort aspects as I have some budget to customize. More concerned with the base boat. Is the MT at this length and twin 250s a good safe & comfortable boat to venture out for 3 or 4 years in the caribbean.

Last edited:
Is the MT at this length and twin 250s a good safe & comfortable boat to venture out for 3 or 4 years in the caribbean.

That question depends again on current condition and we're in the dark on that reality.

How many amp hours of batteries doe the boat have. You need to work out a power budget and determine how long/often you will need to run the generator and engine to keep them in working order.

Didn't see it mentioned that the boat has a generator. A genny and air conditioning are essential in the Bahamas and the Carrib.

Survey shows boat is in great shape, low hours, no structural or mchanical issues. I appreciate the replies I am receiving.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Welcome aboard. A Marine Trader is NOT an offshore cruiser IMO. It is a coastal cruiser that can readily travel the Bahamas and Caribbean for 4 years only IF the weather is agreeable.

250 HP per side suggests turbocharging. Not for me-not necessary again IMO and adds yet another complication to the machinery.

Looking to buy my first offshore cruiser.

Echoing RTF, this vessel is not an offshore cruiser. One nice thing about it is it is a fresh water boat and shows well on YW.

Suggest you look at DeFevers, KKs, Willards or a Hatt LRC as a better offshore cruiser. Again, condition and equipment are essential looks at these too.

Your getting sound advice. Nice boat for the Loop and near coastal but I wouldn't go to the Caribbean on it. That's pretty much sailboat and heavy full displacement play land. Think more along the lines of a KK 42 or similar.

Edit: oops, like sunchaser' great list above I just saw.

Marine Trader CPMY

The Marine Trader Tradewinds had at least 2 hull forms and were made in 2 Taiwan yards (same company) The 39/43 that I had came with a fairly sharp bow entry, deep forefoot, and an 18" - 3/4 length keel. It tracked very true with rear quartering waves. I brought it from Toronto through the Great Lakes to Green Turtle Bay in September and October. Saw quite a bit of blue water over the bow as we ran for protected marinas. It took heavy water much better than me! The 43/47 CPMY that I looked at, similar to the boat described in post 1, had a more cruiser type V hull, with multiple, full length lifting strakes. Transom dead rise 12-14 degrees and no keel. I do not know if the 47 was made with the keel hull version. I liked the accessibility of the 47 engine room but when researching engine parts availability and cost, went for the Cummins in the 43. This was in the late 90's.

Nice looking boat...... Coastal, yeah, Bahamas, sure with a nice weather window for the crossing...... down island when you don't quite get to pick your weather.... no thanks. That would turn into Mr Toad's wild ride waaaaaayyyy too soon for me. Like someone said, that's heavy displacement territory.

You also said Eastern and Western Caribbean. Eastern you can island hop, but Western has some long distances to cover that I would be shocked if it had the fuel capacity to cover. Also, distances over which conditions can change dramatically.

I'd definitely go for stabilizers vs. paravanes, although I recognize many here disagree.

I'd rethink where I wanted to cruise and in what fashion? How many people aboard? How many of those can serve as crew?

Then start qualifying boats.

Should be fine for the island hopping Bahamas to T-dad.

You might use a water hose and fill the aft cockpit , and see how many minuets it takes to drain.

Under 3 min is OK , but longer might indicate a few more scuppers are needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom