Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #61
City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Interesting discussion, good links. So if remote gauges have their own issues, has anyone put a few cameras in their engine room aimed at various gauges? This can be a cheap solution and can double as a continuous ER check.....

Currently boatless but looking. Avatar is my first boat....Holland, 1965 ish.....
oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #62
City: Heartland
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
My Racor vacuum gage takes days indicating a restriction ( dirty ) filter element, plenty of warning that it's time to change the element. I use a F-1 Gulf Coast filter to polish my fuel so this rarely happens. I do change the elements yearly as the filter medium doesn't last indefinitely.
I would however be interested in a wifi camera setup both for the engine room and security if anyone has installed a camera as Oscar mentioned.

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #63
City: East Coast
Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post
I have twin 135hp Fords on my Marine Trader 38, and I am thinking about installing a vacuum gauge on the fuel filters. I don't need a remote display at the helm; just something to check in the morning before I take off. My original idea was to buy some $3.99 vacuum gauges on amazon and stick them on a T on the discharge side of my Racors. But, I see there are super duper gauges for the Racor T handle fitting that sell for $60 to $80. Is the super duper option really worth that much more money?
The super duper gauges have a needle to show the highest vacuum reached. The $4 ones do not. If you can read the gauges when under maximum load you don't need the super duper gauges. Otherwise, you do.

WesK is offline   Reply With Quote