Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #21
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
It should reference your electronic boat card ID. The cards you make now should last you through 2020 and surely, everyone will be using an electronic boat card by then.

Our electronic boat card ID is aCa. So we'd print our ID on a card as:

eBC/aCa

More info about the ID can be found here:
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2016-01-20.php

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
You guys inspired me to tackle this item on my rountuit list. I've been sitting on the card stock for 3 years. Today I downloaded the template from Avery and printed 50 cards on my Epson printer.

It took me a couple hours of download/format/print/ reformat/reprint. I wanted to make sure it was easily readable since we trawlermen aren't getting any younger! I needed to resize the font and reformat the text 'cause I'm a one-sided card kind of guy.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:08 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
You guys inspired me to tackle this item on my rountuit list. I've been sitting on the card stock for 3 years. Today I downloaded the template from Avery and printed 50 cards on my Epson printer.....
C`mon Al, post the "large print" version so we can all see it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:16 AM   #24
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
C`mon Al, post the "large print" version so we can all see it.
I would but it's basically just my avatar artwork with my contact info in the corners.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Yes...but I love the redacted photos.....there's just something intriguing about "secret" info.

It may give some here something to do...guess the redacted info....track down your marina and post a Google Earth pic of your boat. If they really Pink Panther it...no telling what they can post about us...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Just like the Internet, it's best to not put anything on your boat card that you don't want anyone to know.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Just like the Internet, it's best to not put anything on your boat card that you don't want anyone to know.
For this reason we have two sets of cards, one we use at home where we have our phone numbers and home address, the other just email addresses.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Our boat card has our name's, mailing address, email address, telephone number and a picture of Hobo.

We use a 3 ring binder with clear plastic business card holders for those we collect. Two 2 sided cards and irregular size cards are a PIA.
That is true, as are the ones that are designed to be viewed vertically. I don't mind the two sided a lot. On the back or front of cards I'll write such pertinent information as pup's name, couple's name, and where spotted.

Mine go into a business card binder and are stored as I receive them. I can look up people via the context of time. I prefer boat pictures and boat names first. Then people. That's how I remember folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I used them as well. Then I had to change my email address so I have 480 useless cards.

In reality, I haven't found the cards to be of much real use. We haven't contacted anyone who gave us a card and nobody we gave a card to has ever contacted us. It's more of a vanity thing, giving out boat cards.
There's this thing called a magic marker. Line out the wrong address and either stamp in the correct or ignore it entirely.

I do not consider my boat cards a "vanity" thing. The cards are a way to remember folks who have entered and left my life on the water. I expect no one to contact me though if they honored me by remembering our encounter, that's pretty spiffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
There's a handy little smartphone app called ScanBizCards...describes itself as "the only business card app scanner with cloud backup and sync across multiple devices with access to cards from any browser." Available from iTunes app store (not sure about Android), full featured version is $.99..."lite" version is free. You can scan front and back of 2 sided or any shape cards. When somebody wants to swap cards with you, just grab your phone and scan theirs.

(snipped)
Print "test sheets" of any new ones on plain paper so I don't waste card stock if it's not right.
Personally I'm uncomfortable with items stored in the cloud. The information is only as secure as the host and every one of those is subject to intrusion.

Electronic boat cards are fine I suppose for some -- just not for me. If I want you to have my card I'll hand you one, if I have any that is!

Like Peggie I have printed my boat cards on plain paper. I use the test sheets -- just cut them to the proper size and call it good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
For this reason we have two sets of cards, one we use at home where we have our phone numbers and home address, the other just email addresses.
That's a good idea Bay Pelican. I'm going to take off Kidlet's address from my cards. I have no mailing address per se so there's no reason why I should include hers on the card. I'll switch over to strictly website and email with the next batch.

Thanks for the idea. You're right -- having a house address for me is crazy. I've not been in Pensacola for 3+ years.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #29
Guru

City: AR
Janice wrote:

Personally I'm uncomfortable with items stored in the cloud. The information is only as secure as the host and every one of those is subject to intrusion.

That's also true of our computers! And external hard drives have a much higher failure rate than cloud servers.

However, you can store your card file on your computer or a thumb drive if you want to...thumb drives don't take up nearly the space that 3 ring binders do. I have another business card scan program (interestingly enough named "CardScan" connected to my office computer. I can move any that I've scanned with my phone to it and I periodically back up that file to a documents file...as I do my iphone contact list.

I've been a Carbonite subscriber on my office computer for about 5 years...only necessary to install it, then it continuously backs up everything you save on your computer to their "cloud" server without you needing to do another thing, not even pay attention. I wouldn't be without it...it's saved my tail more than once when I've forgotten to save.

Electronic boat cards are fine I suppose for some -- just not for me. If I want you to have my card I'll hand you one, if I have any that is!

No reason you can't have it both ways.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
An electronic boat card is an option. But just like most things that move from the physical/paper world into the electronic one, there is much gained:

- Your paper boat card will never show your friends where you are right now. Or where you've moving to. Or even where you're going next season, all depending on what information you want to share.

- Paper boat cards become impossible to organize and find once you have a few hundred of them. Last count, we had just over 700. If I needed to flip through them when I saw a boat coming into a harbor that I thought I knew, I'd never find the card by the time they were waving hello. Now I often know they're coming before I can see the boat and am reminded of their name, their dog's name, and that they like sushi.

- An electronic boat card can be made available to marinas or especially used to unlock fueling intentions. The potential for using that to save hundreds (thousands?) of dollars is coming. Paper cards only cost money to produce and don't usually have a mechanism of saving you money. There is a lot coming in this money-saving capability.

- Changes to an electronic boat card happen instantly and flow through to everyone who has your card.

- Your batch of friends' cards is as close as any device like your phone. Not too many people carry around their binders filled with cards so you only have access to the paper cards when you're in the same place as the binder.

I could go on and on but you probably get the picture.

Every move into the digital world takes some time and is often rejected early by many who are used to the older ways. That's OK and completely natural. This is one of those things that has so many advantages - there's nothing going to stop it.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Electronic boat cards. I am in an anchorage now with perhaps 200 boats. My guess is that all but a handful have physical boat cards (excluding the charters of course) and only a handful have electronic cards. But then we don't have an internet connection in most anchorages.

Use to be the card contained a photo of the boat, now many contain photos of the couple that own the boat.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #32
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I don't know that we've ever met anyone who had physical boat cards, although that may be because we've never asked or offered similar.

-Chris
Old 02-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
..........There's this thing called a magic marker. Line out the wrong address and either stamp in the correct or ignore it entirely. ...........
The sarcasm is not really necessary and doesn't help you make your point. You could have been much nicer about it.

In truth, printed boat cards as such aren't really necessary and I could just write everything out in pencil on a scrap of paper.

If I'm going to go to the trouble to hand out boat cards, they will look professional and not have things scratched out or scribbled in. If I can't do it right, I'll just not do it.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I don't know that we've ever met anyone who had physical boat cards, although that may be because we've never asked or offered similar.
-Chris
We have met people with physical boat cards, in fact, that's where I got the idea to make some.

I think it's mostly folks who cruise out of their home area, even if only for a few weeks.

One of the things we like about cruising is meeting people. We have exchanged boat cards, let our dogs play together, gone to dinner with folks we've met and even gone shopping with them (ones who have a vehicle available).
Sometimes we never see them again and sometimes we will run into them days or weeks (and many miles) later.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #35
Guru

Tut tut Janice, you are in big trouble .
Physical cards are good, I`ve received one, from a visiting TF member. Just never got to do my own, probably more suited to full or substantial part live aboards.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
I am in an anchorage now with perhaps 200 boats. My guess is that all but a handful have physical boat cards (excluding the charters of course) and only a handful have electronic cards. But then we don't have an internet connection in most anchorages.
And if it were 1992 again, there would be few, if any, boats in your anchorage with electronic charts. Today, they all have them. The digital technologies sort of do that when there is a compelling advantage.

I fully admit, we're in the beginning days. That's the part of technology where I like to be.

So look at the attached picture - it's real showing where I'm anchored right now. The white triangular cursor is my location. It's white because I'm not transmitting it now from my iPhone (my boat uses DeLorme inReach to update my location to the location server). The dark blue icons are "friends" who I've exchanged electronic boat cards with. The light blue icons are boats with electronic boat cards that I haven't exchanged cards with. I can only get very limited information about light blue icons - their boat's name, hailing port, and the boater's names (which can be limited to just first names). Light blue icons only show up within 5 nm of my location. Tap on a boat icon and I can get more info on them.

What I'm working on right now is an integrated anchor alarm within this display. But it goes a step further. It'll optionally publish the amount of rode I've let out, my alarm limits, and where my anchor is actually located to the location server. So when I leave my boat, I have a remote anchor alarm because inReach is still updating my location.

But there's even more...

Since the anchoring specs are also published, I can view the specs of the boats around me if they allow. I can see where they are in their swing and even set a contrasting alarm on them to warn me in the middle of the night if they're dragging. When I arrive, the display assists me in figuring out my swing area and how it'll fit in with the surrounding boats even in low wind situations where boats are not at the end of their rode.

Since it's 5 pm, none of the boats around here are moving. If they were moving, that dot in the center of their icon would show their course. Tapping on them gives their speed, etc, along with access to their electronic boat card. All of those icons show them as anchored.

I'm not saying this will be the winner in the electronic boat card battle that will surely take place. But something like this will be as common as electronic charts in another 20 years. Maybe 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4129.PNG
Views:	111
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	48704  
Old 02-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Well maybe a little different for us up here in the PNW, when we meet someone we like or think we should stay it touch with the get the unredacted version of our card. Of course being in the printing industry before retirement it was easy, just ask a bunch of people in our yacht club that received courtesy free boat cards because they were friends ..... It was so easy to do.......here is the redacted version of our cards.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RocheCard.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	48706  
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #38
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Why do boat cards need to look professional?

Aren't we all acting as amateurs when handing out personal boat cards? I would hope some other boater wants my card because we had a good time, or related or need info at some point...so any card that allows that info to be retained should be OK....

Hope I am not getting graded on how good of a captain or person I am by my boat card.

Like too many TF discussions....take what you need and leave the rest...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #39
TF Site Team

My daughter did something I thought was cool on her professional business card. On the back, she printed the QR code for her business' website. Scan it with a smartphone and it takes you to her site. Nice touch.

http://www.qrstuff.com/

Maybe those with websites could benefit from that idea.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #40
Guru

Nice card Rochepoint. If you are going to do something, do it well, as you have.