Old 07-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Question on advertising

When I view TF on Chrome vs Safari, I get at least 10 times the number of ads, many inside of posts, just like the posted included them, making the forum totally unusable.

I thought the forum owner controlled the ads. Does TF put ads WITHIN the messages?

Now on FireFox, it's horribly bad, but not quite as bad as Chrome.

What gives?

Old 07-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I use AdGuard on Safari and see no ads.........

Yes, I have my "AnchorRight"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #3

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
I use AdGuard on Safari and see no ads.........
Increasingly, this is the way to go on mobile devices as far as I can tell.

I can't find an adblocker than makes Chrome practical to use on my phone, and it's not Trawler Forum, but most all non-retail web sites. Chrome is jamming down ads to the point the browser functionality is so compromised it's a joke. I am starting to switch to Safari more and more and while that gives up some cross-functionality with other google products, it lets me use a browser effectively.
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #4

City: Flanders, NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
I used add block when on firefox. Now I always am on here on my phone using the tapatalk app. No adds here. Also no signatures I see on here.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
I used add block when on firefox. Now I always am on here on my phone using the tapatalk app. No adds here. Also no signatures I see on here.
By "no signatures" you mean no add-on notes on the bottom ("sig line") where we put stuff like "Damn the torpedoes, four bells, Captain Drayton!", or do you mean like the ID stuff with state/location and boat?

My objection to even the mobile version of the site is that it hides the ID info. In interest forums like this with technical content, knowing whether a person is in Maine or LA, and driving a Morgan Out Island (they sneak in, and I used to lust after one) vs. a Hatteras 58LRC is valuable information to know when reading their posts and evaluating their perspective. I can't stand the mobile app even as it wipes that info.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:22 AM   #6
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
With the iPhone app, hereís how your post appears
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3954.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	90615
Old 07-05-2019, 12:27 AM   #7

Ah, perfect example! Yeah, it wipes the useful info, but is screen efficient and dumps the adverts. A reasonable trade off I guess. I will load it and give it a try, maybe Seevee can find it useful, too.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:38 AM   #8
Guru

Adblock works for me. Not just for TF but generally. On TF,if I forget to login I see evidence of where the adverts would be if I didn`t have Adblock.
TF presumably makes its $ from advertising revenue. There being no such thing as a "free lunch" I wondered, briefly, about the ethics of rejecting seeing adverts on TF.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
There being no such thing as a "free lunch" I wondered, briefly, about the ethics of rejecting seeing adverts on TF.
Fair question. But it's not the end users who really have to answer that, it's Google.

As Seevee, Im and others experience, we simply can't read the forum effectively (and I mean it's BAD, not just "seeing ads"). Google is choosing to prioritize ad revenue over the basic mission of conveying information.

Also, there IS a standard for internet ads. It is run by the "Acceptable Ads Commitee" and a lot adhere to it.

https://acceptableads.com/en/committee/

So Adblock, for example, would never block ads that adhere to minimum standards like being parallel, not opening pop-ups, not blocking content, etc. Very reasonable stuff.

So, fair question, but we are talking about Google and companies that are working their butt off to avoid responsible ad practices. Nothing to do with TF or the revenue they receive.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #10

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Using PC, Windows 7, Chrome, logged in, see no ads as you reference.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Thx for all the good replies.

I guess I'm going to have to get rid of Google. Have all Google emails and have been getting more of a PITA to deal with. Suggestions for a better email provider? And Chrome is almost unusable. Would like to go back to Safari, but requires the latest software, and I'm worried that my Adobe CS6 will not run on it... Grrrrr

And their ads are getting brutal. The privacy thing is going out the window. I can search for perhaps a generator, and within minutes, I'll see adds for a new generator show up on my browsing!

I'm not against ads OR paying for not having any, however it's just gotten out of hand.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #12

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
I'd be mildly curious to see some screen caps of this -- I've never seen ads inside of posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
When I view TF on Chrome vs Safari, I get at least 10 times the number of ads, many inside of posts, just like the posted included them, making the forum totally unusable.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #13

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
PC, Windows 10, Firefox
Android, Firefox

I'm not seeing ads in the postings. I see two on the side and one on top, pic attached. If I've been searching on Google those ads will be tailored to my latest searches.

I let Firefox keep itself up to date with the latest versions. I have content blocking set to standard. When things get out of hand on the PC I add Ghostery. This Win 10 PC is new and I haven't had to add Ghostery yet, I did need it on the old machine.

I routinely clear cookies and history. This does have the side effect of wiping out saved passwords etc.

When I want to search without Google tracking me I use DuckDuckGo

To keep from being tracked and marketed to I had to step back from Google services. I do loose some convenience but I think it's worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ads.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	90621  
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #14

City: SW Alberta
I use a Mac, so Safari is the browser I use. I stay away from all things Google and added Ghostery and UBlock Origin. No ads at all, but pay for good content.(As in WSJ for example)
I also clear the cache and cookies regularly. This creates extra work re-logging in to some news sites I read daily, but I feel it is necessary.
I also don't own/use a cell phone of any kind. Never found a [U]need[U] for one.
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilitas View Post
By "no signatures" you mean no add-on notes on the bottom ("sig line") where we put stuff like "Damn the torpedoes, four bells, Captain Drayton!", or do you mean like the ID stuff with state/location and boat?

My objection to even the mobile version of the site is that it hides the ID info. In interest forums like this with technical content, knowing whether a person is in Maine or LA, and driving a Morgan Out Island (they sneak in, and I used to lust after one) vs. a Hatteras 58LRC is valuable information to know when reading their posts and evaluating their perspective. I can't stand the mobile app even as it wipes that info.

The personal information about the poster can be seen using the IOS app by clicking on the posters name. It works well and only takes an extra step compared to using a browser.

What is missing is the signature line. That is an annoying omission. There are a number of TF regulars who have blogs that they link to in their signature line. I canít see those links when using the IOS app, which I use most of the time.

I use a Firefox browser with Adblock. It gets rid of the ads which suck up huge amounts of bandwidth.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilitas View Post

Here is what I see if you have a signature or what vessel you are on whatever is added to the bottom of the post. I run android and the tapatalk app how I almost always browse this forum.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #17

See if this comes up. Not to proficient in adding pictures here yet. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190804-205931.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	91934
Old 08-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #18
Guru

City: xxxx
Vessel Name: xxxx
Vessel Model: xxxx
I too use Adblock. It has been good. If I hadn't found something I would have quit T.F. several years ago.

On my tablet[s] I use another.
The popups and crap ads were so many and pervasive it was almost a disaster using the mouse.

Sure ads give us all these forums and a lot of other benefits but at some point the ads become a serious liability.,
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #19
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
Some browser updates are now coming with built-in adblocking. The reason is supposed to be to cut down on website load times. I installed Adblock plus and Ublock origin to FireFox and WaterFox. I try to stray away from google products as they steal and share your info with ad agencies and other companies to make money and keep their stuff semi-free. If you use Chrome, Google search, or Gmail and get spam emails it's because Google is collecting info on you and directing the spam to your inbox. If it doesn't make google money, you'll never see the spam.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:30 AM   #20
FF
Guru

WOW!

I knew there was a reason I did not need a $1,000 phone and $600 a year phone bill.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote