question about work on water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justinclay

Hello again!!! Lol have a question. I recently looked at a 1971 thunderbird drift-r-cruiser. Open deck layout with a really big cuddy underneath. Has plug ins in the cuddy has a 235 horsepower mercruiser its also a 35 footer. Im a detailer i do it all and come with many recommendations. My question is with the engine running, will the outlets have enough juice to power my small shampooer??? I want to buy it for a work boat. Do you think enough people would tie off to me and as we are anchored shampoo and detail their interiors while on the illinois river??

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130202_104935.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130202_104935.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 98
The irish playpen would be painted over and business logo on instead. "im italian".

Engine was completely rebuilt last summer. Has all paperwork for proof. What i mean by im italian is my heritage not the business name lol. Marina is asking 6500 but with my charm ;) have haggled the marina owner down to 5200 out the door. Cuddy is in awesome shape and hillbilly as it sounds comes with a window ac installed in one of the windows lol.

Last edited:
What do you use now for power? I would imagine a generator would work fine. I don't think with the information provided anyone could tell you what you want to know. If you determine whether you need ac or dc power. Then figure if its enough.

Havent bought it yet so i dont know about power and such. And yes left untold would be good lol. But when running the engine do the plugs work?? I mean enough juice to run some small things ???

Havent bought it yet so i dont know about power and such. And yes left untold would be good lol. But when running the engine do the plugs work?? I mean enough juice to run some small things ???

If by "plugs" you're talking about 120 volt AC, the engine would have nothing to do with it. A boat engine doesn't generate 120 volts AC.

To have 120 volts AC for your tools, you would need a genset or an inverter and a large battery bank.

Do I think you could make a living cleaning boat interiors while on the water? In a word, "No." If you want to clean boat interiors for a living, just do it at the dock. Take your equipment to the boat wherever it is docked and do your business.

Thats what i needed to know. So i need a genset. Not neccarily a living but a decent flow.

With a boat like that, I would start a dinner cruise for house cats tour business.

I think Heidi Fliesch used to do business from that boat....not sure if it could be classified as cleaning carpets though.

Dinner cruise.....thats a hell of an idea. Maybe 50 bucks a person all day cruise......i think you might be on to something there.

That would require a lot of b.s. Maybe just do a charter or something for bow hunting asian carp lol.....or just a charter cruise type.

Last edited:
Please, Please Justin - I say this respectfully to you!

FYOG... Get someone with business sense and a calculator who knows boats to advise you in the area you live. You are way in left field with your thoughts.

If it anything like over here, the insurances and survey requirements will kill ya before you start.

Business sense is my area. Successfully ran my detailing business for the last six years. Im boRed looking for something else to do while still maintaining the detailing. I'm not in left field just pondering ideas. I will do all the numbers crunching when I'm completely set on an idea. I would never go out simply an assumption.

Do you think enough people would tie off to me and as we are anchored shampoo and detail their interiors while on the illinois river??

Frankly I doubt it , as most car owners never get their car detailed , why would a boat owner want to not use the boat while tied up for basic housecleaning?

Way back , Tricky Dicky was faced with a recession and the bottom 10%+ of the pilots at my employer were shown the door.

IF one took another job during the furlough , your seniority number was gone.

Faced with the need to eat , I started my company 'YACHTWRIGHT" , and began to outfit mostly sail boats.

Worked well, all CA$H and there was more work than I could handle , Westsails and Taiwan boats mostly.

Tho loads of boats need their ice box rebuilt and a engine driven refrigeration installed.

Sadly I was never able to expand as any worker that had the knowledge and skillset simply got a business card , and went to work. Boatbuilding was better , but being a middleman , Aries self steering , Dickinson marine stoves and furnaces was best.

Yes you can make money as an independiant , tho most detailing will be needed by yacht brokers .

Sadly many brokers will talk the seller into keeping the boat at the brokers dock, where detailing (a guy called about your boat so we cleaned it) simply becomes another profit center for the broker.

Good luck .

Last edited:
There is a guy that has a boat very similar to that one here in Biloxi that sells ice cream, hamburgers, fries and soda. He does alright. Americans are fat, you need to capitalize on that.

Yea americans like to eat no doubt. Indeed a good business. Call my lawyer tomarrow and see what she thinks how much for the licenses and what not.

Hello again!!! My question is with the engine running, will the outlets have enough juice????

There is a guy that has a boat very similar to that one here in Biloxi that sells ice cream, hamburgers, fries and soda. He does alright. Americans are fat, you need to capitalize on that.

How about juice though Paul? :popcorn:

Last edited:
With the stock alternator , no chance , at idle few will make 50A , and 50 x 13 (charge voltage ) isn't even 700w.

The fuel burn of the slow running engine with a big 200A+ alt and very pricy inverter would be far higher and louder than would be acceptable.

A 2000W or 3000AW Honda would be the choice for 120V service power.

Making stuff , hamburgers hot dogs will put youi at the mercy of both the US CG and the local resturant laws.

Just selling stuff , that someone else made is far easier.

A fellow at Block Island seems to do well (for about 20 years) delivering the NY Times , Bagles , milk , and other breakfast stuff on Sundays.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom