Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #21
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Canadian Heritage Moment;

(Molson stage right, Labatt's stage left)

I don't know what it is about boaters interest in alcohol. Boats run on wind-diesel and gasoline not so well on alcohol of any brand.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I don't know what it is about boaters interest in alcohol. Boats run on wind-diesel and gasoline not so well on alcohol of any brand.
I agree totally, and haven't had a drop in almost 5 years. But, as a Canadian I must say, "ALL HOSERS HAIL BOB AND DOUG MCKENZIE!"
Old 01-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #23

City: Qualicum Beach, British Columbia
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
I'll have you all know that I am considered Canadian royalty by marriage (seriously eh).
My wife is a blood relative to the McKenzie Brothers.
Lemee 'splain...The characters of Doug and Bob McKenzie were named after the owner of ITV Studios in Edmonton (Bob Allard) and the CFO and Executive Producer for SCTV (Douglas Holtby) who is my wife's uncle. While not exactly a trawler type, Doug is a boater here on The Great White North's left coast and took delivery last year of a stunning new Riviera 60 Sportbridge.
Almost forgot...The whole McKenzie brothers skit came about as a way to take a poke at the CRTC and their demand for Canadian content.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
Who are the Labatts and Molsons? Guessing you don't drink much Canadian beer.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #25
Guru

City: Anacortes
There are so many amazing things in Canada. I think in the spirit of goodwill we should all overlook their beer.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Labatts is now owned by Anheuser-Bush and Molsons is owned by Coors both brands that are worth overlooking.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:40 AM   #27
FF
Guru

There are so many amazing things in Canada. I think in the spirit of goodwill we should all overlook their beer.

Agreed! With fixed pricing there is little reason to create GREAT beer, just beer.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:52 AM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
In another thread, there was a lot of talk about quality...design, materials, construction techniques. I'm wanting to purchase a quality boat. What characteristics should focus on?
I'm herein a tryen ta get dis thread back on course here... and, to get you guys ta back away from the tavern trough... at least for a minute - LOL Above is the OP's 1st post... ya know... the real gist of this thread!

So... jeffnick: I recall posts o' yours from years ago that well described the boat in your avatar and what you did with it. My question is; what do you plan ta do with your "new" boat that you're asken quality questions about. Still looken ta tow behind a van and use as dual puropse camper/water-play. Or, have ya come into some loot and plan to dock in water for cruisen da high seas!

Inquiren minds would like ta know.

BTW: Check out Tollycraft boats if you plan on buying used (see my avatar). Good prices, great quality, real seaworthy, very comfortable. Just make sure the PO(s) kept her up well.

OK, guys - back ta drinken!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #29
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Why do you want a quality boat?
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Baker - My simple answer your clear question:

Ya know how most of us boat luven guy owners refer to our beloved boats in feminine tense, e.g. she, her, my queen, baby, doll, sweetheart... and the like. Unless of course she's pissed-us-of; then we call her bitch, whoree, dip-shat and the like!

Well... boats are very much like living girls; in that... taint always easy to get into a meaningful relationship. But, once accomplished it can be even harder to get back out. So... as with all relationships... best to start with at least perceived quality. If things go south thereafter we need to make maneuvers that work in best interest for all concerned. However, if the relationship blossoms and we become even more attached than at the onset... then, there could be many blissful years of play-time ahead!

Happy Quality-Boat-Luven Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #31
FF
Guru

When you pay for Quality you are buying LESS in the way of required repairs , maint and replacement costs.

Big problem is paint covers lots of garbage , even on so called quality built boats.

A knowledgable surveyor very familiar with that specific brand , and its hidden horrors is worth paying to fly him in.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
In the old days it was to attract quality women. For sure a nice refregerator vs a cooler, a head that has mirrors, hot water for the shower and oh yeah, space for the hair dryer and cosmetics bag.

On TF quality is less an issue as the definition remains elusive.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #33
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Can't resist, who are the Labatt's & Molson's?
Answer: Foster's cousin
Old 01-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #34
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Quality is allusive, even more so to those that look to someone else to identify it. Lots of folks have bought supposedly "high quality" boats, mostly by brand name or builder reputation, only to find it was mostly hype perpetrated by those that couldn't or wouldn't see that they to had the same list of defects in more or lesser degree.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Quality is allusive, even more so to those that look to someone else to identify it. Lots of folks have bought supposedly "high quality" boats, mostly by brand name or builder reputation, only to find it was mostly hype perpetrated by those that couldn't or wouldn't see that they to had the same list of defects in more or lesser degree.
Quality is not elusive, one just needs to know where and how to look. Many times an expert is indeed brought in to assist on detailed examinations. Defining the boat's mission is key to determining what areas of the vessel should exude and have quality.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #36
Guru

I disagree, quality is evident in every aspect of a "quality" boat. If I am sold a high quality boat I would expect it to be, well,,,,high quality and not just have a high quality stereo system or ice rated hull or some other aspect of supposed quality. Just because a boat has 12 inch high thresholds at each passageway does not make it a passagemaker nor high quality, but that is a desireable characteristic of quality passagemakers. Dogged hatches and windows with 1/2 inch laminated tempered glass, passageways that are dogged and only open outward, are marks of quality, but could also be incorporated into a any lesser boat. Only when you get into the unseen areas do you start to see real quality workmanship. Where the person doing it took pride in his job, not some green card worker (at best) getting less than minimum wage to do a job he's not trained for at a company he won't be working for in 6 months. Or a yard in south east Asia doing the best they can with what they have on hand. No, quality starts from the keel and goes up with the boat.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #37
Guru

A good example of quality is a comparison of a Toyota Lexus or Camray as compared to the average Chrysler product. Quality should not be confused with perfection it is merely an attempt at achieving perfection. Some products get much closer than others and those products are the ones with more quality. With boats it is often important to understand what a boat is designed and built for. If a boat or any product is used outside its intended design and build parameters it may not fair well. A boat designed and built for protected waters may be a duck out of water on the open sea and this may not necessarily be a quality issue. A Toyota Camray is not meant to rough it off road Ect. Etc.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #38
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Answer: Foster's cousin
Is it really that bad.

I had some great beers in BC last year, they served it with a slice of orange, very quirky, but good hoppy beer.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
My theory is that they only put fruit in the beer when attempting to mask the real taste of the beer. Case in point: Corona.

I suppose it might help (i.e. improve the quality of) a lot of lesser brews.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #40
Guru

I love the intentional thread drift, and beer. The best beer ever is someone elses.