this puts the problems we suffer into perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a Vic-Maui sailboat race and the delivery back home many years ago, and one of the other boats in the race, that we were checking in with on the radio on the delivery back home hit a whale in the night. It was a cored hull and broke the outer layer, but the inner layer remained intact. We talked to them on the radio a few hours after it had happened and they sounded very shaken up. We were still over a 1000 miles from home. The only reason they knew it was a whale and not a container was there was a chunk of flesh/skin jammed in the broken fiberglass.

Containers are a bigger problem than the industry wants to admit. Poor support systems and aging ships combined with overloading. IMG_2066.JPGIMG_2067.JPGIMG_2068.JPG

I thought I read a story about the first Krogen 42 being lost off the deck of the freighter that was bringing it across the Pacific. True or false?

This container and cargo shifting isn't just a ship problem. Trucks have it occasionally and trains experience it often. I once toured a facility that was a large public warehouse and had train tracks through the building. Their business was unloading and reloading shifted cargo and dealing with damaged shipments. Lumber was their most frequent issue. Not unlike logs on the water.

Lost at sea happens. Always conjecture especially when weather was not an issue. Single handers who do 24/7s are a special breed.

And single handers lost at sea never write their books. I see and have read some of the stories of sailors who never should have gone out, who lacked any experience and had a boat not adequate. They wrote of all the times they could have died but didn't. However, they still leave us with a story of adventure and a feeling that if he did it, "we" can. It is, however, a very distorted story. We don't get the stories of those who didn't make it or even those who regret every moment and say "never again." I will never praise single handers who do 24/7's or hold them up as examples to be followed. I hate too much to read of the tragedies at sea.

And single handers lost at sea never write their books. I see and have read some of the stories of sailors who never should have gone out, who lacked any experience and had a boat not adequate. They wrote of all the times they could have died but didn't. However, they still leave us with a story of adventure and a feeling that if he did it, "we" can. It is, however, a very distorted story. We don't get the stories of those who didn't make it or even those who regret every moment and say "never again." I will never praise single handers who do 24/7's or hold them up as examples to be followed. I hate too much to read of the tragedies at sea.

I agree with much of that. However, I don't have problems with those who wish to single hand if they have the requisite experience. Worse are those without the experience who take their families out on their ill conceived adventures.

I agree with much of that. However, I don't have problems with those who wish to single hand if they have the requisite experience. Worse are those without the experience who take their families out on their ill conceived adventures.

It's just personal, but I don't believe there is such a thing as requisite experience for not having any person on a boat who is awake and watching. Single handing, ok, but not 24/7 for days.

It's just personal, but I don't believe there is such a thing as requisite experience for not having any person on a boat who is awake and watching. Single handing, ok, but not 24/7 for days.

Not something that I would choose to do, but there have been plenty of single handed sailors that make long crossings. It is risky but for the most part it is only themselves they put at risk.

Not something that I would choose to do, but there have been plenty of single handed sailors that make long crossings. It is risky but for the most part it is only themselves they put at risk.

And their rescuers.

There are plenty of dumb boaters, and not just single-handeds, that put rescuers at risk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom