In pursuit of Perfection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
Never mind...but feel free to start with your own thoughts because I cant seem to get rid of the thread fully.

Last edited:
Who needs perfect?

The kids are constantly saying "perfect" so perhaps they know.

But if you ever find perfection "perfect" will disappear and a new perfect will appear and your chase will resume.

Last edited:
I was taught as a child that anything short of perfection was unacceptable. That puts one in the position that no matter what they do or how well they do it, they've failed. I knew my mother would find some imperfection. It took me a long time to rebel against that attitude. I was one of the fortunate ones able to decide to go my own route. At 19, I graduated from college and instead of going the route that had been planned into law school I took a regular job working for a large manufacturer. It turned into my career.

I thought I'd broken free of that need for perfection but never really got away from the past until I met my wife. She taught me how to live. Before her I was very successful, rising star type, great job and not a happy person.

I was taught as a child that anything short of perfection was unacceptable. That puts one in the position that no matter what they do or how well they do it, they've failed. I knew my mother would find some imperfection. It took me a long time to rebel against that attitude. I was one of the fortunate ones able to decide to go my own route. At 19, I graduated from college and instead of going the route that had been planned into law school I took a regular job working for a large manufacturer. It turned into my career.

I thought I'd broken free of that need for perfection but never really got away from the past until I met my wife. She taught me how to live. Before her I was very successful, rising star type, great job and not a happy person.

+1

I believe in some countries were they weave carpets they make a mistakes in the design on purpose ; avoiding hubris that might anger the gods.

The Japanese are obsessed with perfection, it can take hours to get a cup of tea! :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. In the long run, as a lifestyle choice, how much does it matter?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 270
I always liked the 80-20 rule. Strive for 90-10. Dance in the streets if you hit 100. :dance:

Greetings,
Mr. ps. Perfection in whose opinion? If one wins the rat race, one is still a rat. I prefer to follow the road less traveled.

If, at that moment, when I'm faced with my own mortality AND I can truthfully say "This is a good day to die", then I will have achieved perfection. Other than that I am content to live with 99%.

On TF's most popular subject, anchoring, perfection seems to be a Manson. We just bought a new and larger anchor. It is not a Manson because I don't believe the nebulous rhetoric. So whose definition of perfection does one pursue? My view echoes others, your own.

OK..now it is easier....I agree with most that chasing perfection while a noble pursuit obviously needs tempering.

But it's funny that not many strive for perfection but the tone of posts lately has been just that.

Either do it perfectly or you are doing it wrong. Thanks for helping.

Weird.

I've become acquainted with a young violinist in this area. The first time I used her to play on a score and to be the visual thread throughout the video she was 16. She is now 19 and attending the most prestigious music school in the US (which I've learned is not Julliard).

She's played on six or seven of my original scores over the last few years, and we've attended all of her concerts, some with a full symphony and some with a small trio or quartet. She is a classical violinist although what she's played for us has ranged from modern Chinese rock to Irish dance to pretty much everything except classical.

During one of our recording sessions I asked her if she ever gets tired of playing the same classical pieces over and over for practice or in concerts. She said no because she's never played any of them perfectly yet.

Photo is a frame grab from the video.

Attachments

• Gloria 11.jpg
    Gloria 11.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 82
Reaching perfection may be an item to strive for under certain circumstances... however... its untouchable attainment pushes into the infinitely imperfect clause of infinity.

Perfection is somewhat similar to speed of light; in that: As you get closer and closer its need-mass gets bigger and bigger with a morphing curve that becomes harder and harder to reach as its attainment stays a step ahead.

The state of perfection is a reflection of forever and never... none having the possibility to exist. Except of course in a mortal's limited vision "mind's eye".

There is of course one thing pretty perfect about perfection... in that... it's context will always be perfectly debatable.

Carry On!! :socool:

... until I met my wife. She taught me how to live. Before her I was very successful, rising star type, great job and not a happy person.

That's so sweet! Way to go WifeyB. :flowers:

I'm not perfect; close enough for the girl I go with though. :rolleyes:

Ted

As an artist l'm always striving for 'perfection'. It's only momentarily attainable however, because in having reached it you've discovered other doors to open and explore. Once you stop exploring, you're dead in the water.

Wifey B: Actually I do care. I care what he thinks. Just not the rest of the world so much.

As an artist l'm always striving for 'perfection'. It's only momentarily attainable however, because in having reached it you've discovered other doors to open and explore. Once you stop exploring, you're dead in the water.

I think you have captured the essence of the topic perfectly, whether applied to art, refinishing a teak handrail, or operating one's boat.

Back
Top Bottom