Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
ChesapeakeGem's Avatar
 
City: Chesapeake Bay
Country: Maryland
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Pull down shades

We are ready to buy pull down shades
For our salon. Looking for suggestions for type of blinds knowing moisture is a concern. We would like a blue grey.
Not sure if we should have the color on both sides.
Should we use a honeycomb or flat?
Donít want roller shades
Some light coming through is fine
I know the corners will be exposed
Thank you!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2871.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	79722Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2897.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	79723Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2891.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	79724
__________________
Advertisement

ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,155
We did this in our saloon this past spring. We ended up going with a cellular cordless shade. We got a Day/Night shade. It has two sections, light filtering and blackout. If I was to do it again, Iíd likely go with just a light filtering shade, but my wife likes the blackout option and the blackout does provide a bit better insulation than the light filtering portion.

We really like them. It has made the boat much cooler in the warm weather compared to our old curtains and we like the look. We put them on 8 windows in the saloon as well as the back door window. We also put them on the two aft windows in the pilothouse.
__________________

__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Oldersalt's Avatar
 
City: San francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 119
Take a look at Posieden (spelling?) mini-blinds, from Florida. We installed them on our GB 32 last year and they have made a huge difference in both privacy and heat/light control. And when fully raised, they basically disappear, which really improves all-around visibility when driving from inside. No connection, just a happy customer.
Oldersalt
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,150
From my experience there are a LOT of mini blind companies in just about every area. Get with a couple of them, tell them what you want and ask for their opinion and advice, then make your decisions.
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Oldersalt's Avatar
 
City: San francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 119
As a follow-up to my previous post, yes there are plenty of mini-blind companies. I should have mentioned that I like the Poseiden mini-blinds because they are specifically designed for boat use. They use fixed vertical runners to hold them in place, so they don't swing out and bang in when the boat rolls, and they never rattle or bang. Again, I have no connection to the company but, in my humble opinion, you may be happier getting pull-down shades that are designed to be used on boat. Just sayin....
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:09 AM   #6
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,155
I found that self stick Velcro dots work great for keeping the shades from swinging.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,927
If you live where heating or cooling is desired , take a look at "Warm Shades" which have insulating value.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,214
"Roman blinds" from Ikea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	79729  
Attached Images
  
__________________
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
I had an allergic reality - Jillie the Bean
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ChesapeakeGem's Avatar
 
City: Chesapeake Bay
Country: Maryland
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldersalt View Post
Take a look at Posieden (spelling?) mini-blinds, from Florida. We installed them on our GB 32 last year and they have made a huge difference in both privacy and heat/light control. And when fully raised, they basically disappear, which really improves all-around visibility when driving from inside. No connection, just a happy customer.
Oldersalt


Thank you for the information, Iíll check them out
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ChesapeakeGem's Avatar
 
City: Chesapeake Bay
Country: Maryland
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Pull down shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
"Roman blinds" from Ikea


Wow! Those are really cool
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
ChesapeakeGem's Avatar
 
City: Chesapeake Bay
Country: Maryland
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
From my experience there are a LOT of mini blind companies in just about every area. Get with a couple of them, tell them what you want and ask for their opinion and advice, then make your decisions.


We have been looking around, amazing the price differences
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
Guru
 
Pgitug's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, fl
Country: Usa
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,120
Take a look at Blind Chalet. We installed dual blinds for $100 per window. Day Shade and Night Shade. No banging. No fricking velcro and easy to install.
https://www.blindschalet.com/day-nig...ed-shades.html
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1730.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	79928Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	79929Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1733.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	79930
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #13
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,155
I used Blind Chalet as well and was happy with the results. In our case, I went the the cordless option (wife didn't want any visible strings). Because of that, we used clear velcro dots on the bottom to keep the blinds from swinging.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
ChesapeakeGem's Avatar
 
City: Chesapeake Bay
Country: Maryland
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Take a look at Blind Chalet. We installed dual blinds for $100 per window. Day Shade and Night Shade. No banging. No fricking velcro and easy to install.
https://www.blindschalet.com/day-nig...ed-shades.html
Attachment 79928Attachment 79929Attachment 79930


They look wonderful! Thank you
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
ChesapeakeGem's Avatar
 
City: Chesapeake Bay
Country: Maryland
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I used Blind Chalet as well and was happy with the results. In our case, I went the the cordless option (wife didn't want any visible strings). Because of that, we used clear velcro dots on the bottom to keep the blinds from swinging.


Velcro Dotís will have to remember that
Thank you !
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
ChesapeakeGem's Avatar
 
City: Chesapeake Bay
Country: Maryland
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
We did this in our saloon this past spring. We ended up going with a cellular cordless shade. We got a Day/Night shade. It has two sections, light filtering and blackout. If I was to do it again, Iíd likely go with just a light filtering shade, but my wife likes the blackout option and the blackout does provide a bit better insulation than the light filtering portion.

We really like them. It has made the boat much cooler in the warm weather compared to our old curtains and we like the look. We put them on 8 windows in the saloon as well as the back door window. We also put them on the two aft windows in the pilothouse.


Thank you so much !
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:48 PM   #17
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,546
We have used the double cellular blinds in a previous boat. Worked fine. We just went to a regular blind store online. In this boat we were not as concerned about heat so we just went with regular aluminum mini blinds. They have brackets on the bottom that hold them in place and stop them from swinging.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
ChesapeakeGem's Avatar
 
City: Chesapeake Bay
Country: Maryland
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have used the double cellular blinds in a previous boat. Worked fine. We just went to a regular blind store online. In this boat we were not as concerned about heat so we just went with regular aluminum mini blinds. They have brackets on the bottom that hold them in place and stop them from swinging.


Thank you for the info, I like the bottom brackets
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #19
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,426
Lots of choices. I recently put in the accordion, cordless blind with a small hook at the bottom for swing. When the sun hits I pull them down and makes a HUGE difference. Have them in my houses and the boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9493.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	79957
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #20
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldersalt View Post
I should have mentioned that I like the Poseiden mini-blinds because they are specifically designed for boat use. They use fixed vertical runners to hold them in place, so they don't swing out and bang in when the boat rolls, and they never rattle or bang.
Do you have a link to those vertical runners? I've looked at the Poseidon website, can't really find those mentioned...

And I'm also wondering if they'd work with our existing mini-blinds...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have used the double cellular blinds in a previous boat. Worked fine. We just went to a regular blind store online. In this boat we were not as concerned about heat so we just went with regular aluminum mini blinds.
Are you saying fabric shades are by definition better for heat control? Or only double cellular? Or...?

-Chris


-Chris
__________________

__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012