Pull down shades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChesapeakeGem

We are ready to buy pull down shades
For our salon. Looking for suggestions for type of blinds knowing moisture is a concern. We would like a blue grey.
Not sure if we should have the color on both sides.
Should we use a honeycomb or flat?
Don’t want roller shades
Some light coming through is fine
I know the corners will be exposed
Thank you! IMG_2871.jpgIMG_2897.jpgIMG_2891.jpg

We did this in our saloon this past spring. We ended up going with a cellular cordless shade. We got a Day/Night shade. It has two sections, light filtering and blackout. If I was to do it again, I’d likely go with just a light filtering shade, but my wife likes the blackout option and the blackout does provide a bit better insulation than the light filtering portion.

We really like them. It has made the boat much cooler in the warm weather compared to our old curtains and we like the look. We put them on 8 windows in the saloon as well as the back door window. We also put them on the two aft windows in the pilothouse.

Take a look at Posieden (spelling?) mini-blinds, from Florida. We installed them on our GB 32 last year and they have made a huge difference in both privacy and heat/light control. And when fully raised, they basically disappear, which really improves all-around visibility when driving from inside. No connection, just a happy customer.
Oldersalt

From my experience there are a LOT of mini blind companies in just about every area. Get with a couple of them, tell them what you want and ask for their opinion and advice, then make your decisions.

As a follow-up to my previous post, yes there are plenty of mini-blind companies. I should have mentioned that I like the Poseiden mini-blinds because they are specifically designed for boat use. They use fixed vertical runners to hold them in place, so they don't swing out and bang in when the boat rolls, and they never rattle or bang. Again, I have no connection to the company but, in my humble opinion, you may be happier getting pull-down shades that are designed to be used on boat. Just sayin....

I found that self stick Velcro dots work great for keeping the shades from swinging.

If you live where heating or cooling is desired , take a look at "Warm Shades" which have insulating value.

"Roman blinds" from Ikea

Attachments

• 2ba (2).jpg
    2ba (2).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,028
  • 18d.jpg
    18d.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,027
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 144
Take a look at Posieden (spelling?) mini-blinds, from Florida. We installed them on our GB 32 last year and they have made a huge difference in both privacy and heat/light control. And when fully raised, they basically disappear, which really improves all-around visibility when driving from inside. No connection, just a happy customer.
Oldersalt

Thank you for the information, I’ll check them out

From my experience there are a LOT of mini blind companies in just about every area. Get with a couple of them, tell them what you want and ask for their opinion and advice, then make your decisions.

We have been looking around, amazing the price differences

I used Blind Chalet as well and was happy with the results. In our case, I went the the cordless option (wife didn't want any visible strings). Because of that, we used clear velcro dots on the bottom to keep the blinds from swinging.

I used Blind Chalet as well and was happy with the results. In our case, I went the the cordless option (wife didn't want any visible strings). Because of that, we used clear velcro dots on the bottom to keep the blinds from swinging.

Velcro Dot’s will have to remember that
Thank you !

We did this in our saloon this past spring. We ended up going with a cellular cordless shade. We got a Day/Night shade. It has two sections, light filtering and blackout. If I was to do it again, I’d likely go with just a light filtering shade, but my wife likes the blackout option and the blackout does provide a bit better insulation than the light filtering portion.

We really like them. It has made the boat much cooler in the warm weather compared to our old curtains and we like the look. We put them on 8 windows in the saloon as well as the back door window. We also put them on the two aft windows in the pilothouse.

Thank you so much !

We have used the double cellular blinds in a previous boat. Worked fine. We just went to a regular blind store online. In this boat we were not as concerned about heat so we just went with regular aluminum mini blinds. They have brackets on the bottom that hold them in place and stop them from swinging.

We have used the double cellular blinds in a previous boat. Worked fine. We just went to a regular blind store online. In this boat we were not as concerned about heat so we just went with regular aluminum mini blinds. They have brackets on the bottom that hold them in place and stop them from swinging.

Thank you for the info, I like the bottom brackets

Lots of choices. I recently put in the accordion, cordless blind with a small hook at the bottom for swing. When the sun hits I pull them down and makes a HUGE difference. Have them in my houses and the boat.

IMG_9493.jpg

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that I like the Poseiden mini-blinds because they are specifically designed for boat use. They use fixed vertical runners to hold them in place, so they don't swing out and bang in when the boat rolls, and they never rattle or bang.

Do you have a link to those vertical runners? I've looked at the Poseidon website, can't really find those mentioned...

And I'm also wondering if they'd work with our existing mini-blinds...

We have used the double cellular blinds in a previous boat. Worked fine. We just went to a regular blind store online. In this boat we were not as concerned about heat so we just went with regular aluminum mini blinds.

Are you saying fabric shades are by definition better for heat control? Or only double cellular? Or...?

-Chris

-Chris

Is this the one you guys are talking about?
Poseidon Window Treatments

I've seen some levolor style blinds that bend down when the window is wider at the bottom than the top so the shade opens up as it goes down. You might want to see if whoever does your blinds knows how to make that work. I'll see if I can find a photo to show how it works.

OceanAir also makes shades for boats. With accommodation for uneven shapes. Pleats/folds to allow full coverage.

Pleated Blinds | Oceanair

I've seen them installed in a local GB (pix from a listing)

The idea is the odd corner piece gets deflected downward when the shade is raised.

Attachments

• 6674448_20180409082436644_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6674448_20180409082436644_1_XLARGE.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 2[1].png
    2[1].png
    15.2 KB · Views: 206
And depending on your preferences, there are such things as 'top down' shades. Where the top section drops, instead of the usual bottom section raising. This allows for 'cafe curtain' style privacy. We have some like that on street-facing windows on the front of the house. Let's lots of natural light through the top-most open section, while allowing for privacy from pedestrian traffic.

Poseidon's picture gallery is kinda awful, but this is one example:
http://www.fl-yachtblinds.com/contact-us/top-down-bottom-up-blackout-honeycomb-captains-stateroom/

Do you have a link to those vertical runners? I've looked at the Poseidon website, can't really find those mentioned...

And I'm also wondering if they'd work with our existing mini-blinds...

Are you saying fabric shades are by definition better for heat control? Or only double cellular? Or...?

-Chris

-Chris

I could argue the double cell ones work better, there's just more stuff to block the sun. However, some mfg have options for heat control shades that could be better.

And depending on your preferences, there are such things as 'top down' shades. Where the top section drops, instead of the usual bottom section raising. This allows for 'cafe curtain' style privacy. We have some like that on street-facing windows on the front of the house. Let's lots of natural light through the top-most open section, while allowing for privacy from pedestrian traffic.

Poseidon's picture gallery is kinda awful, but this is one example:
Top-Down Bottom-Up Blackout Honeycomb (Captain's Stateroom) | Poseidon Window Treatments

And if you're creative and handy, you can create these odd shapes easily. When the blind guy does it, price can be brutal. When pulling from big to small its easy, even on an angle. Same with verticals. I've done several on houses and worked out great.

A timely post. I just started removing some beautiful wooden blinds that the P.O. installed. The only problem was too much dark wood in a room already paneled in teak. If any one needs some I can furnish the sizes. I’m think about going with 2” Levelor faut wood in white to brighten things up. Durable and inexpensive. I will though check out what Nautilus has to offer before making a final decision.

I agree, there is such a thing as too much wood. It can really 'weigh down' the look of a space.

Same goes for light-blocking shades. They're not great if you want daytime privacy without the space looking like the inside of a tomb. For that it comes down to what do you want more often, total black-out or light-passing privacy. If the total black-out look isn't needed 'every night' then consider using black-out curtains with light-passing shades.

blinds

Purchased mine from blinds.com
They are cordless and work great. Here is what they call them "Light Filtering Cellular Shade". The cellular feature provides insulation.

They are custom, so measure carefully. Not cheap, but its a boat.

I, also, installed the day/night RV shades I purchased on Amazon. They were less than 1/3 the cost of new custom ones as they had some premade sizes if you could make them work. They are white on the outside even when in the light blocker position. I didn’t see a lot of color choice but wanted white or ivory anyway because of all the dark wood. 9 shades were around $300 vs $900. I removed curtains in heads and cabins and replaced with Clozures, used to be called peek a boo, shades. Definitely not the homey look of curtains but that’s just us.
Eddie and Gail
1987 Sea Ranger 47’ RPH

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom