Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,398
PT Watercraft - a "fun" project

I built a Whitehall rowing dinghy that we keep on the top deck of Delfin. It rows like a Banshee and I love it, but it isn't practical as a utility tender. As a result, we also carry a Porte Bote that is so ugly, we don't have to worry about it being stolen, and you can drag it up onto rocks with a couple of dogs and later just pressure wash it off. However, it doesn't row that well and we decided we would like to have a tender that we could also sail. We decided that the Spear from PT watercraft would be just the ticket, and since they all have to be home built, it also gave the Admiral an opportunity to build out a major wood working project - her first. I am only allowed to help with tools that are capable of removing large chunks of flesh, so this project is really her own. What is nice about this little boat is that it is completely encased in epoxy glass, and while pretty, it is very sturdy yet lightweight. It will replace both the Porte Bote and Whitehall (which I have to find a home for.)

She started the project in January and has pecked away at it, and at this point the interior is ready for the final gloss coat of epoxy and she'll glass the hull later in the week. We hoped to have it done by August 1, but we won't make that date. Lots of work, and not a cheap project, but these boats sail incredibly well, row great, and because they are covered in epoxy are very durable and dog friendly.

The Whitehall, looking for a home:



The PT Spear kit. All CNC, ready for stich and glue:



The interior and ready for final gloss coat:



The exterior, ready for glassing:



A finished Spear. No varnish, just epoxy:



Spear under sail:



These are also available in a very workable nesting configuration for tight spaces storage.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,271
I was very tempted but the nesting version. It is the slickest nesting solution I have ever seen. I just didn't have the time or space to do the build. Instead, I went for the Gig Harbor Navigator.

Very nice job on that build. That is not only a very pretty boat, but something your wife can be very proud of.
__________________

__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I was very tempted but the nesting version. It is the slickest nesting solution I have ever seen. I just didn't have the time or space to do the build. Instead, I went for the Gig Harbor Navigator.

Very nice job on that build. That is not only a very pretty boat, but something your wife can be very proud of.
Thanks Dave.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,398
We launched the Admiral's PT this weekend. A very impressive rower. We didn't try the sailing gear yet, except to lay it out on the deck and it looks really simple to manage so I'm looking forward to dusting off the sailing skills soon.

This one will replace the Whitehall, which isn't the best take the dogs ashore boat, nor does it sail. Now I have to find someone who wants the Whitehall....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0171.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	76067  
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar
 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,120
Wow that’s really nice! Did you use the PT Watervraft instructions for painting it with Interlux Briteside paint?
__________________
Parks Masterson
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Wow that’s really nice! Did you use the PT Watervraft instructions for painting it with Interlux Briteside paint?
We used two part catalyzed Perfection paint from the same company. I'm used to Awlgrip, but the Admiral is a stickler for following directions and that is what they recommended. The founder of the company, Russel Brand, is a Jedi master when it comes to epoxy. He can lay it out on vertical surfaces and end up with an absolutely smooth finish. I have no clue how he does, but we certainly couldn't, so we applied six coats of Bristol by spray. We'll see how that holds up, but PT's approach to leaving the epoxy uncovered doesn't seem like a great idea due to UV light deterioration and clouding.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,281
To Delfin's wife [sorry, but I haven't heard your name; except "Admiral"] I give you my kudos and super tall praise!

To Delfin... tis another side of you I now see!

To TF members following this tread. May we all give applause and a Big Thumbs Up!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar
 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,120
My mistake, I meant Perfection. I’ve used Brands instructions on two boats now with great results. If you thin it to his instructions, just roll it on and walk away. It flattens right out.
__________________
Parks Masterson
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
To Delfin's wife [sorry, but I haven't heard your name; except "Admiral"] I give you my kudos and super tall praise!

To Delfin... tis another side of you I now see!

To TF members following this tread. May we all give applause and a Big Thumbs Up!!
Thank you Art, I will pass on your very kind words to Admiral Cheryl, my better two thirds.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
City: Anacortes
Country: United States
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 207
Just for accuracy it's Russell Brown. Interesting guy with a lot of good ideas. The PT Skiff is gorgeous.
I know he uses West System epoxy and their #207 clear hardener that has some UV provides some UV protection but even WS says it needs to be protected with exterior varnish for UV protection.
I've rolled and tipped a number of different LP's and rolled Perfection using his technique. I get about the same result, a little nicer if you roll and tip but not much and using his technique there is no brush to clean so that's a plus. Where his roll only technique falls down is on something with a lot of inside corners and details. You can't get a roller in and with the small amount of thinner he uses the paint doesn't brush.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Just for accuracy it's Russell Brown. Interesting guy with a lot of good ideas. The PT Skiff is gorgeous.
I know he uses West System epoxy and their #207 clear hardener that has some UV provides some UV protection but even WS says it needs to be protected with exterior varnish for UV protection.
I've rolled and tipped a number of different LP's and rolled Perfection using his technique. I get about the same result, a little nicer if you roll and tip but not much and using his technique there is no brush to clean so that's a plus. Where his roll only technique falls down is on something with a lot of inside corners and details. You can't get a roller in and with the small amount of thinner he uses the paint doesn't brush.
Quite right, Russell Brown....
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #12
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,271
Lovely boat. I would have built one myself but I lacked the time and space.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
Member
 
City: Lucky's Lounge
Country: usa
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
More of Russell's magic!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	76103  
Attached Images
   
olsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #14
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,265
Delfin,
We have a 10’ sailboat we use as a rowing/OB tender/dinghy. Hope your’s rows w better directional stability than ours. It rows fine but it requires your full attention on the oars. And it’s shape aft is similar to ours. I think it’s a “Holiday” boat made in Calif. Powers fine w up to 6hp.

We now have a 12’ sailboat/rowboat/OB but it’s a bit large. Have no sails. Haven’t rowed it yet but looks like it should do very well. It’s a Gig Harbor “Defiance”.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #15
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Delfin,
We have a 10’ sailboat we use as a rowing/OB tender/dinghy. Hope your’s rows w better directional stability than ours. It rows fine but it requires your full attention on the oars. And it’s shape aft is similar to ours. I think it’s a “Holiday” boat made in Calif. Powers fine w up to 6hp.

We now have a 12’ sailboat/rowboat/OB but it’s a bit large. Have no sails. Haven’t rowed it yet but looks like it should do very well. It’s a Gig Harbor “Defiance”.
It seems to track very well. I rowed it around Pearl Island at Roche Harbor and felt like it was almost as good a rower as my Whitehall. PT Watercraft are pretty "green", so don't discuss something as unenlightened as an outboard motor on one of their craft. So, we made an appropriate mount, covered in heavy leather, for cinching down our 2.5 hp Suzuki. The boat only weighs 85 pounds, so should scoot along just fine with that.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #16
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,398
We had a chance to try out the sails Friday, Saturday. Because the boat only weighs 85#, it only takes a light breeze to really get moving. Loads of fun....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spear.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	76253  
__________________

__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012