Old 02-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney
Monk 36

Is there anyone within a couple hundred miles of Vancouver, including Vancouver Island with a Nova Scotia built Monk 36 who would be willing to allow me a visit?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Here
Go for a ride in 3-4' seas. You will quickly drop this boat from your wish list.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker
Go for a ride in 3-4' seas. You will quickly drop this boat from your wish list.
A great comment but...Really?
Be happy to hear more and you can PM me if you like.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
A great comment but...Really?
Be happy to hear more and you can PM me if you like.
I've sea trialed Monk 36's in 3-4' seas. Both hands are required to hold on.
The bottom is near flat, there is very little hull in the water and they bounce around like a cork. As the fresh water tank gets low the transom is nearly out of the water and she ploughs, making steering difficult in even the lightest following sea.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The bottom is near flat, there is very little hull in the water and they bounce around like a cork. As the fresh water tank gets low the transom is nearly out of the water and she ploughs, making steering difficult in even the lightest following sea.
Sounds like my Albin 40 too.

Thankfully I never expected to go out in much so I'm not too concerned....

Don't most of these smaller TTs bob and roll?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Since you have zero to gain by saying this and stand to have stuff chucked at you from owners, I do appreciate your candor.

If correct, it is certainly something to take seriously in our waters. If debatable, still something to keep seriously in mind while looking.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker;
The bottom is near flat...very little hull in the water...
As the fresh water tank gets low the transom is nearly out of the water...
Hmmm.
I see what you mean, but is the GB not the same?
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #8

City: Ft Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Kava Kava
Vessel Model: Sealine 420 Statesman
Looked at a new one in a slip in Rock Hall, MD. Kept rolling so much almost got ill. Needs more length and less height.
truant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant2;
Looked at a new one in a slip in Rock Hall, MD. Kept rolling so much almost got ill.
Rats, but thanks anyway.
What do you call new; what year?
Old 02-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Don't most of these smaller TTs bob and roll?
Some more than others, this is one of the worst, right up there with the Carver 32 aft cabin.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #11
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
We owned a 1986 for 2 1/2 years and lived aboard. While doing the "loop" the only foul weather we in countered was on Delaware Bay heading for Cape May into a nor'easter and 3-4' ground swells, not a very comfortable ride with spray over the top of the fly bridge enclosure. Drive from the lower helm much more comfortable. We eventually pulled off the Bay in one of the few inlets and let the sea subside. The boat will take the weather the saying " it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean" applies to the Monk or any small craft.
Winter weather causes a lot of condensation on the hull and aft stateroom hanging lockers need insulation.
We received lots of favorable comments from boaters and dock walkers on the Monk's looks. We had the Perkins 135 which was bullet proof in operation and maintenance. The 8 KW generator was forward of the engine on centerline, bad news the holding tank is below the generator. Black iron fuel tanks have deck fills port and starboard where leak proof on ours but could be a water on tank top problem. Centered salon/galley good for dinner for four, we had the full fly bridge enclosure and used it most of the time. I always thought the teak mast, boom and spreaders, radar, etc. made it top heavy but I never tested that by stepping the mast into the aft crutch while in seas. We carried 400' of 5/16" HT chain and never noticed it plowing or nose heavy. Good luck with your search.
Bill
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Well, I have to say we are very happy with our 2003 Monk 36, and have found it to be very well built and suiting our needs well. Our cruising is mainly along the Gulf of Mexico coast, we have made the crossing from Apalachicola to Clearwater Fl several times. Whenever possible we try to avoid rough weather but have been in it a couple of times and gotten bounced around a bit, I don't know if it would have been less or more "bouncy" in the Monk or another brand of semi displacement boat.
On most Monk 36 the generator was added fwd of the engine and can make her ride slightly "bow down". Many owners, myself included, have added ballast, lead ingots aft just inside the transom to compensate.
There are quite a few Monk 36s in the PNW hopefully "Hawgwash" can check with some owners in that area.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #13
Guru

Thanks Steve and HiDHo.
Always good to get owner perspective.
I will pursue it but may not go too far out of my way.
Yet.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
When we were looking for ours, I too had heard of the rocky ride stories. But I have not found it significantly different than a Grand Banks 32 or 36 we chartered except a whole lot dryer in a bad chop.
We always have our water tanks topped off, have a gen fwd of the engine, and have the additional ballast in the lazzarette.
That said, we have never yet been caught underway in a bad blow in the Monk in the 1200 miles or so we've run her.
That said 2: every boat I've been on has a wave pattern that will roll the snot out of you while other boats around look normal and vice versa. I have not found that pattern yet on the Monk.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #15
Guru

HiDHo, Steve and High Wire; what engines did you have and what were your cruise and WOT speeds?
Old 02-22-2016, 10:21 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Hawg:

Know some folks that had a Monk 36 a few yrs ago. Never heard any complaints about lively bouncing from them. To the contrary, all the comments from them were positive re this boat. I know they were regularly crossing the gulf, as they kept it in Vancouver and frequently were at Tugboat and Scott Point. Must have some experience in 3' to 4' seas.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #17
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Perkins 135
Cruise 6.5 knots
WOT 8 knots
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver;
Know some folks that had a Monk 36 a few yrs ago. Never heard any complaints about lively bouncing from them. I know they were regularly crossing the gulf...Must have some experience in 3' to 4' seas.
I'm not disputing what others have said and certainly the need for ballast says something. I just have trouble reconciling the negatives with everything I know and believe about the 2 Eds.

Only first hand will tell.
I see Desolation Charters has one so maybe I need a road trip to Comox.
Hmmm, off season, I wonder if they would let it go for a weekend run to Blubber Bay. Aaaa, I don't know, still lots of Powell River hippies there. Might not get back.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The trouble with only considering owner feedback has been discussed many times.

The number of "great" boats as described by owners differs pretty significantly from the number of "great" boats from those that run many different boats under many conditions.

I think owner input is important but in my experience it has to be tempered with a little "ego boosting" and lack of knowing better to a degree.

There seems to be a layer of boaters with enormous experience...than quite a void down to the weekend and occasional boater that has owned a few and rode on a few more in varied conditions. So picking out gems from the "white noise" can be a challenge.

Like many of the pictures posted from owners in 5-6 foot seas.....yeeow....my camera must be from a planet with different gravity and yardsticks.....

I see 2 choices. Whenever you are convinced only one "boat" will do the trick...you either accept known issues with that type boat or fly to a boat where you can really put it though its paces. I didn't go to my sea trial as I wanted a particular boat and knew the sea trial wasn't going to "learn me" any more about that size, shape, style TT. After 10,000 miles of the type of travel I expected...the boat hasn't given me any surprises.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #20
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:

Some more than others, this is one of the worst, right up there with the Carver 32 aft cabin.
Huh. I thought our Carver 3207 rode pretty well for a boat that was just 12,000 lbs dry weight. Not a knee jerk defense of a boat we owned, I just genuinely thought it rode well and had a nicely designed hull for a modestly priced boat. Had a nice deep and sharp forefoot (even though it did flatten out toward the transom) unlike the Monk 36 so it would cut through pretty well. Did roll a lot though. Too light.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote