Prototype Watermaker may change everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Gerald Pollock, Head of Bioengineering at the Pollock Laboratory at the Univ. of Washington, may be on the cusp of a Sun-powered water filtering system that could change the way water is cleaned and used in our world. Because of the molecular makeup of the filtered water, it's conceivable that the discovery could also alter the potential in wet-cell batteries. A small working prototype has been built but he is currently in partnership with Mote Laboratories here in Longboat Key to build a larger working model. Here's a link to the article:

BLUE ECONOMY: A water filter that doesn't need a filter | HeraldTribune.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 119
Hope the idea has legs...the benefits would be nothing short of revolutionary.

EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like cold fusion to me.

I thought the same thing when I first heard about it, but read his book. No magic. If Mote Labs is in on it, it will either live a long life or a very, very short one.

If it works as described in large scale it's going to be a game changer. Water-makers the size of a solar panel running on flashlight batteries are what my enthusiastic mind sees. :dance:

Or as PS would say "another gadget we can do without" :oldman:;)

Interesting if it works on a large scale. A couple of questions:

- How much does it take (money/materials/machinery) to make the magic Nafion?

- How long does the Nafion last until either it is exhausted or clogged up with what it filters out (it seems unlikely that all the bad stuff will be flushed away)?

- How does it do with things other than common organic materials that are often found in the sorts of water supplies you want to filter (e.g. heavy metals, industrial waste, petro chemicals)?

- What are you going to do with all the "waste" water the thing produces (this is already becoming an issue with desalinization plants)? If the waste water has a high concentration of pollutants in it, you will have a whole other problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom